End of our Finals cycle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Means nothing

Next year we will have the personnell to run 2nd or 3rd and make a true bid for the grand final.

If there is one blessing from 2010, it is that Manly have a long offseason to think about this failure, and to make sure we fix our discipline, and the way we train so that we can compete for 80 minutes, not 50.

Obviously, the game has changed over the past couple of years and Des will figure it out.

If Manly had have made it to the grand final and been flogged, or just missed out on a grand final they would be patting themselves on the back and ensuring another year of mistakes.

I'm satisfied in that.

All year, and particulary that Roosters loss, made me realize that the plan was dreadfully wrong this year.

NYEagle

Agree NY..the game has changed and this year we didn't really adapt. We are still playing like its 2007-2008. Des will work on this with the players he has available. The old 1 up bash and barge by our big men will not work, and it showed yesterday that if we do that, opposition teams will compress their defence and jam in on us, thus making hardly any metres. We will make the finals again next year - I am certain.

Brisbane's finals cycle lasted 19 years didn't it? Why can't ours. I'm sure we will be there next year and for many more to come

I believe while Des Hasler is at the helm of our team that we will have a long run of semi final appearances. I would like no better coach to run a team. Especially with the support staff he has around him.

There is one problem though. Our salary cap is already full with existing players. ( Many players who played in 08 have seen their contracts rise significantly. e.g Robbo, Ballin, Matai, Wolfman)

This makes it impossible to attract new players who will "strengthen" our roster. IMO i don't think out roster is good enough to win another premiership, even though we will still have success over the next few years with continued finals appearnces.

The club needs to make a decision, wheteher to continue to be a team that is in the top 8 every year for the next 5 years and keep our experienced and aging players, and not win a premiership. Or for the next few years miss out on the top eight, let our aging and experienced players go , but rebuild to win a premiership again in 5-6 years.

I reckon the original post is on the money. It is hard to get to the top and even harder to stay there. Without millions of dollars worth of cheating noone has managed it. Young sides like the Panthers and Raiders  are on the way up and next year the Dogs, Eels and Rabbits will all be on the way up. Without some serious attention we may struggle to make the semis. A lot depends on an untried half and some fragile knees, not to mention a certain court case!!!

While I agree we have been unlucky over the past 2 years, and probably have a top 8 team on paper, lets look at the facts:
- our best player may never get back to pre-2008 form
- we have an ageing pack with no significant additions for 3 years
- we will field the most inexperienced halves combination in the comp next year

Crusher_Cleal link said:
- we will field the most inexperienced halves combination in the comp next year
we had an inexperienced halves combo this yr, everything was going great guns up until round 12  & TH  signed with dogs,  foran has 1 yr up his sleeve now, he can pass some knowledge down to DCE, its no different than this yr crusher we could have finished higher than we did..

did anyone honestly think we would come second this year?

To be honest never thought 2nd was in our range but Foran showed glimpses of greatness last season he just needed DCE to compliment his game.
I always believed it wasn't Orford that guided the boys around the park it was the likes of Lyon and Brett Stewart, watching Stewart organize his back line is amazing.

Jebus, thanks for bringing this up guys!! ;)
As I said in a previous thread, there were a few areas where I thought we'd run into trouble this year:
- ageing pack
- no 'big' signing in 5 years (5 years!)
- most inexperienced halves combo in the comp
- not sure Stewart would ever be the same again
That, plus the fact that, in the salary cap era, it's very difficult to stay at the top for 5+ years, led me to think we'd have to do some rebuilding this year.

I am more concerned at our 9 year premiership cycle

2008 (minus 3 years for Northern Eagles)

If this hoodoo holds our next premiership wont be until 2017.

The Wheel said:

Considering there are 16 teams, I'd probably take a Comp win every 9 years.

Crusher_Cleal said:
We are officially at the end of our Finals cycle I feel. Note the pattern (end of regular season position):
2005 – 8th  (out 1st week)
2006 – 6th  (out 2nd week)
2007 – 2nd  (GF)
2008 – T1st (Premiers)
2009 – 5th  (out 1st week)
2010 – 8th  (out 1st week)
I fear that we may not see Finals action again for a while to come.

yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah :cool::sleepy:
they already said that about us this year apparently parra were rated for 2nd :s

Crusher_Cleal said:
The Wheel said:

Considering there are 16 teams, I'd probably take a Comp win every 9 years.
nah we just getting in early for this decade normally we wait till theres 4yrs left of it before we do something, be nice to get a premiership early on in the decade then we might be able to nail another one in 5yrs time ..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4