Emotion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
I'd like to propose that we avoid falling into the trap of taking any notice of the last 20 minutes of Fridays game.

Based on the evidence of what I saw and heard, I think a major emotional shift occurred the moment Matais try was denied.

Consider this:

*Manly looked in full control over the first 60 minutes of the game and we all felt comfortable that a win was inevitable. I was already counting for and against numbers and was very happy with their play.

At the moment Matais try was denied, that control fell apart.

Just before the decision:

* Manly were frustrated with penalties giving Souths field position (even Gould commented that Souths made more ground out of penalties than actual run metres)

* Manly had been been frustrated to that point at not putting in the killer blow and then exhaled when that killer blow looked to be delivered. A major emotional shift, and they felt they had won the game. (and while I'm not a Gould fan, I'll quote him again where he often says that it almost impossible to win a game twice - see later).

Then the moment of the decision of "no try"

Matai and others looked genuinely distressed and shocked even. I sure noticed it. Another major emotional shift, and a very negative one.

Just minutes later.....

*Manly are distracted and let a drop goal reach the touch line

*They let in a try and have to start all over again. They are gone. Try backing up on five days rest after such a massive letdown. Impossible. They let two more tries in.

Then in the dressing room after the game:

*Looks like a war zone

*Manly vent their frustration with the way the game turned out. Toovey then takes that frustration to the press conference.

I guarantee, had the Matai try been given, Manly would not have let another point in. It would have ended 16-6 or 22-6 to Manly.

What do we take out of this?

* we don't get 50-50 calls but we did send a message to the NRL that we got screwed this time.
* this game can be a turning point in a positive direction. I expect Manly to be fired up next week fresh and full strength against Canberra after a good rest.
* games like Friday night rarely happen, and at the end of the game, even though I was disappointed we lost, the loss as it happened (with the dew, the no-try, and the penalties) are not a norm and I didn't feel like we were beaten by Souths, or anything to do with their players. It's just a bad luck loss. Overall, I felt good that we demonstrated some solid control over a top 4 team, and I hope we play these rats in round 1 of the finals.

NYEagle

You're 100% on the money NYEagle.

I've got no doubt we have the measure of Souffs. The Scum have a lot of big game experience. The Rooters have some serious strike power and impressive steel in defense.

I hope to hell we get another crack at these pretenders.

Great post NYE .

Friday's game reminds me a lot of the game in 08 against the Storm at Brooky (rd 24 I think) . We got beat by only a couple , but we had their measure all night and were unlucky no to get them . Anyway, I had never felt better walking away after a loss than I did that night, I just knew that from that game onwards we had them covered . I have the same feeling again now, regardless of the opposition .

Daveagle said:
Great post NYE .

Friday's game reminds me a lot of the game in 08 against the Storm at Brooky (rd 24 I think) . We got beat by only a couple , but we had their measure all night and were unlucky no to get them . Anyway, I had never felt better walking away after a loss than I did that night, I just knew that from that game onwards we had them covered . I have the same feeling again now, regardless of the opposition .

That was a cracker, I think it was 16-10 or something similar, but the thing that stood out was Kite giving it to Crocker!!! God I loved that. Nothing better than seeing big Kitey fired up and smacking that Claytons Hardman.

Daveagle said:
Great post NYE .

In 2008 there was Manly,Storm and daylight next. No other teams were anywhere near those 2 and we had massive revenge,momentum, no injuries and form in the finals.
2013 we havent beaten any on the top 3. We have real competition ahead of us and we are missing 2 props that we need to provide go forward and size. Very different scenario this year.

ayjay007 said:
Why did we get a five day back up?I thought the scheduling was to give at least 6...maybe I heard/read wrong.

You know it will be same in week 1 of the finals
If we come 4th we play on the Friday night-5 days after the panthers game with our opponent having the luxury of an extra 2 days full rest( souths vs Easts on Friday night).

simon64 said:
You're 100% on the money NYEagle.

I've got no doubt we have the measure of Souffs. The Scum have a lot of big game experience. The Rooters have some serious strike power and impressive steel in defense.

I hope to hell we get another crack at these pretenders.

Spot on Simon

Last Friday showed we'll cover Souths with near even luck. Melbourne and Roosters are another level up.

I have to admit I'm very excited about the upcoming finals series (as long as Manly run at least 4th).

Anything can happen, and probably will.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6