Elgey a Huge KEY to 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A lot of people saying he just needs to complement DCE, but Elgey isn't that type of player.
Hes rocks or diamonds and mostly rocks in his last couple of seasons (injury riddled admittedly)
And I don't think he's the type of player Hasler would select, as stated by some.
I see Croker ahead of him, though the off-season always has a bearing on team selections in the early rounds of the season.l

A lot of people saying he just needs to complement DCE, but Elgey isn't that type of player.
Hes rocks or diamonds and mostly rocks in his last couple of seasons (injury riddled admittedly)
And I don't think he's the type of player Hasler would select, as stated by some.
I see Croker ahead of him, though the off-season always has a bearing on team selections in the early rounds of the season.l

Playing for the tits where it was win or bust. Rocks or diamonds? Yes. But some of that was because of the situation he was in.

No one talking about him but I think Hodko May be ahead of them all in the pecking order! :smoke:

Definitely ahead of Croker at least! Absolute lemon!

Might be an unpopular opinion, but if Chad Townsend can win a comp as a starting halfback, then so can one of Elgey/Croker/Hodko as a 5/8.

Provided we do get Des, we may be surprised at what a decent gameplan and defensive structure and all-round team performance will do for at least one of these guys.

Let's see what the mad scientist does with our structure.
We could end up with elegy at hooker, Api at lock and Siro at 5/8 yet.

BUT if elegy is in the top half of all the 6's in the comp next year then we will play finals.
Totally agree. You never know what DES is going to do, sometime not even DES;-)

It's a good thing. Form during pre-season this time around will be huge.

I half expect that by Xmas, if DES isn't impressed then a couple will be packing their bags.

Have to say LG does not fit the bill for Des.
He likes his halves tough with good solid defence.
Think Orford, Burns, Foran, Lyons, Willow (utility) Plus he likes to play big men as pivot Gift, that fat prick from the bulldogs, and the other fat prick from the bulldogs....
LG might be playing for Blacktown or back up hooker.
Dessie is pretty ruthless
Croker was pretty awesome in defence. He just offered absolutely nil in both organisation and attack.

DCE played his best footy in 2011. With a simple specific task to complete.

I can see Des taking to Croker, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the halves spend more time on the opposite sides, Croker and Siro seem like a perfect match.

I’d have LG boarding with Matty Johns, like he did for Cronk. He just needs to be taught how to use the talent. And for an exceptional defender to help him out on the inside shoulder. I for one like him, instinctive footy players are bloody hard to come by.

Elgey wouldn't have signed here to play for Blacktown. Seriously guys, come on.
He's an avid surfer, so I hope you're right.
As much as I've bagged the guy, if Des comes, his defence will hopefully pick up. He has a similar stature to Luke Keary who we know tackles like a demon. But unfortunately for both, their size leaves them more vulnerable to injury than others. We need another reduction in interchanges to bring the small skilled guys back into the game.

Anyone know (or pretends to know), how much we paid for him? I know he was on 600k at the Tits. Please tell me we didn't pay that!

Have to say LG does not fit the bill for Des.
He likes his halves tough with good solid defence.
Think Orford, Burns, Foran, Lyons, Willow (utility) Plus he likes to play big men as pivot Gift, that fat prick from the bulldogs, and the other fat prick from the bulldogs....
LG might be playing for Blacktown or back up hooker.
Dessie is pretty ruthless
I was thinking this same thing. Des does not want any weak link in defence, so what happens with Elgey will be one of the more interesting developments this year.
Is Elgey a bit like Luke Dorn? He had attack in him but Des didn't want him, from memory
I guess Kane will have to show early on that he is prepared to stand in front of the big backrowers, otherwise bye bye.

Elgey or Hodgkinson will start the season depending on pre season training....
I still think Elgey will be starting- the defensive issue is big with Des which will spotlight Elgey, but with an overall team defensive upgrade he won’t be so iscolated.

Biggest problem with having a weak defender in 6 is that cherry has to cover and ends up making 30 tackles for the game and running 20m+ to make a lot of them. That then limits DCEs explosiveness in attack which is what we saw for a large part of last year. I for one will not be surprised to see Croker get a guernsey because say what you like about his attacking flair but the kid defended like a trooper and covered his position well (#notlikesuli)...plus Elgey was signed pre-Des and as others have pointed out does not suit his style.... maybe in 9 as a rotation for Api?

If Croker or Hodkinson get anywhere near 5/8 we are toast!
Elgey came here to play 5/8 and he will get first crack.
Hodko was good player but done
Croker is a gold plated reserve grader. No style suits a guy who is out of his depth
Our backline with those two last year was a clunky waste of great talent . Why repeat that
And if Des picks Walker there I’ll hand in my membership

Elgey can play. He will surprise.

I realise Elgey was shafted to Qld Cup up at the Titans and based on form I seen, fell away big time from the player who burst into the NRL a few years ago with a tonne of potential.
In saying that I personally wanted to see Croker get a go and succeed, but in reflection his performances would have had him in NSW Cup at most clubs.
I personally feel Elgey has far more flair in attack that is needed in this side.....yes Croker has better defence, but the thing that will improve, is the team will have a far better defensive structure under Des and be more aggressive (imo) which will help shade the defence of an individual.
Elgey has a heap to prove and not jumping out of my skin with the signing, simply feel its the best option for 5/8, at least for starters.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6