Elgey a Huge KEY to 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sorry but Froggy ain’t the answer!!

If he’s still on the books no way would he get a top 30 spot IMO.

Tigers currently have one too many halves with Benji going around again. If Des isn't wowed by LG perhaps he will make a play for J Reynolds. I've never been a huge fan but I have always admired his spirit and competitiveness. Aggressive and a good runner. Could be a good foil for Cherry. Plus we could do with a grub

Has seemed surprising that Croker has not been moved on and especially after Elgey signed and if he can not warrant a top 30 listing soon , one can only assume that he would then be just on a cut price rate for Black Town but also it may be just a case of Des finalizing his preferred squad make up before things are definitely set in place . No doubt that Elgey will get first consideration for the 6 , Hodko will be strictly depth back up . young Metcalffe is still the one with real ability , just depends on how or if he can improve sufficiently to the next level to be a serious 5 / 8 option for Manly even possibly for next season or then beyond . Like Suli , Elgey and numerous other up and comers , all need a good off season campaign and preparation to show they are worthy I st grade regulars or contenders for Manly sooner or latter .

Tigers currently have one too many halves with Benji going around again. If Des isn't wowed by LG perhaps he will make a play for J Reynolds. I've never been a huge fan but I have always admired his spirit and competitiveness. Aggressive and a good runner. Could be a good foil for Cherry. Plus we could do with a grub
Des seemed to have a good opinion of him when they were both at the Dogs but would be out of Manly "s price range and especially with the current cap restrictions and in any case , really do not think that he would be a suitable pick up to improve or compliment Manly "s present squad line up or intended line up . Very annoying player at times but can no doubt can put together a decent game of footy on occasions . Even Bob Fulton had a reasonable opinion of his footy abilities previously and at one stage

Des seemed to have a good opinion of him when they were both at the Dogs but would be out of Manly "s price range and especially with the current cap restrictions and in any case , really do not think that he would be a suitable pick up to improve or compliment Manly "s present squad line up or intended line up . Very annoying player at times but can no doubt can put together a decent game of footy on occasions . Even Bob Fulton had a reasonable opinion of his footy abilities previously and at one stage
Runs across field his biggest problem

He has a lot of grit but granted he seems like a pest. He definitely has some of the attributes to be good but admittedly so does LG. Although Reynolds and DCE both appear to favour the right side and from memory LG was playing on the left for the titans. Hopefully Dessie and Co can stiffen up LG's defence. In regards to his price and the cap, I don't think Reynolds would be commanding a huge amount compared to other halves. Des could run the broom through the place for all we know and we end up with a bit of cap room to play with. Guess we will have to wait and see who makes the cut and what juniors are promoted to the top squad

A lot of people saying he just needs to complement DCE, but Elgey isn't that type of player.
Hes rocks or diamonds and mostly rocks in his last couple of seasons (injury riddled admittedly)
And I don't think he's the type of player Hasler would select, as stated by some.
I see Croker ahead of him, though the off-season always has a bearing on team selections in the early rounds of the season.l

Is Croker still with us? He was on a one year contract. Mind you I would have Elgey way ahead of Croker. Better attacker, better passer, better kicker. He threatens a defence, whereas Croker was just passing predicably to the backline, making them easy targets. Elgey is more likely to double shuffle like Lyons and throw more inside passes, again a Lyons specialty.

Reynolds is a tough little customer, but I thought he was one of the reasons the Dogs backline didn't click. He had Hopoate, the two Morris brothers and Mbye in that backline, quite a reasonable attacking unit.

What ive noticed about Elgey is that he is a dangerous ball runner inside the red zone and can throw a beautiful cut out pass . He will grow into a very good footballer under the mad scientist. Our halfs game will also go to another level.

Problem this year on Kelly's side was Turbo crabbing and crowding Kelly out of it quite often or Turbo throwing a shocking pass - seems like he hits less than 75% of his passes. If Turbo smooths out some of that inexperience play and Elgey is as good a passer as we are led to believe then Dessie will be thinking he is "Back to the Future" with his favourite Snake second man wrap play

And this was just one of the follies of Turbo having to play more as an extra play maker because we didn't have a 5/8 for the most part.

In 2017 he could join the line running and could pick and choose when he passed, if he passed. This year he was in the line and passing more often than not because he was a pseudo 5/8 while playing fullback. Which is why I am glad not only that we now have LG in the squad, but with Des now the coach he'll use LG or Hodko in the halves alongside Cherry and allow Tom to actually just be a fullback for us...and at the same time it will allow Walker to be where he should be at right centre.

Tom is a damn good player. But at this stage of his career his biggest strength in attack by a long way is his running game and speed. Remember it even took Snake a few years before his skills as a play maker came to the fore, by which time he had the experience to know when to pass and when to run. This year was only Tom's second full season as our fullback and 3rd full season in first grade. In time he will (or should) improve his passing and his knowledge of when to pass or run.

Our game play, especially in attack this year, was severely hampered by Barrett (mostly) not playing an actual half at 5/8. The one we started with wasn't good enough. The one who should have been there from the start was on the outer and then banished. And then, quite unbelievably, the Origin winning half we signed mid-season to solve the 5/8 problem was played mostly from the bench as a backup hooker, all while playing a centre in the halves who played like an out of position centre.

Last edited:
Do 'we' think he will be our goal kicker?
He has a success rate of 79.17%.
Mind you, he's only been used sparingly, kicking 19 goals from 24 attempts.
Will he play halfback with Cherry at 5/8, or doesn't it matter these days?
As you said half or 5/8 doesn’t really matter in today’s game. It’s all about left or right. Very few playmakers work both sides. Thurston was one but he still favoured left. In coaching terms of today they do not refer to them as halfback or 5/8 anymore.

Has seemed surprising that Croker has not been moved on and especially after Elgey signed and if he can not warrant a top 30 listing soon , one can only assume that he would then be just on a cut price rate for Black Town but also it may be just a case of Des finalizing his preferred squad make up before things are definitely set in place . No doubt that Elgey will get first consideration for the 6 , Hodko will be strictly depth back up . young Metcalffe is still the one with real ability , just depends on how or if he can improve sufficiently to the next level to be a serious 5 / 8 option for Manly even possibly for next season or then beyond . Like Suli , Elgey and numerous other up and comers , all need a good off season campaign and preparation to show they are worthy I st grade regulars or contenders for Manly sooner or latter .
It’s “Mettccaaalllllffffeeeee”

Is Froggy still with the club??

Was only a one year contract and to be honest far from worthy of an extension!!

So this was posted in the rumoured signing thread, but that is a discussion free zone. I know it is only Sporting News, so low on the credibility scale, but seems like Kane may be on the nose with Des

Sea Eagles on the move
Manly are preparing to let go two players that have struggled to find their groove on the peninsular.

Half Kane Elgey and big-bopper Lloyd Perrett are being shopped to rival clubs.

Watch for the Dragons to keep an eye on Elgey as a back-up half and Parramatta to entertain picking-up Perrett.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...-cronulla-sharks/1nxetdtlgo1qw1ovg2w8fzgloi/3

Looks like Custard has won the battle for 6 in the short term.

Perrett news no real surprise either

Yep I thought there were a few decent signs early with Elgey, particularly after the Cronulla game.
Problem is he seems to struggle to control a game and often lacks quality involvement....can basically go unnoticed in an 80 minute contest which is not what you want from a half at this level....personally agreed with it as a low budget signing, but in all honesty, unfortunately it hasn't worked out.
Elgey has a game based around speed and I feel a few of these injuries has taken away his best asset and now he is more Qld Cup/NSW Cup standard.
Cust has been great and Croker is also clearly ahead of him at this stage...as Frank Stokes stated - he had the opportunity and couldn't take it.
I stick by the title thread as being a Huge key due to the fact we needed a 5/8 to work with DCE, with Cust now doing just that....unfortunately the Elgey key did not fit.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8