Elgey a Huge KEY to 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I must confess, when Elgey burst onto the scene a few seasons ago, would have loved to snap him up at Manly.
He now lingers between NRL and Qld Cup as a 5/8 who is erratic, offering some flashy attack mixed with some defensive lapses and does not seem to have that control of a game in the balance.
He is also a confidence player and if the Manly forwards can get some good momentum, he could imo be a player who exceeds expectations....has a good, flat long ball which will give Kelly more early ball to 1 on 1 avoiding the slide, which we have really been slow with distribution out wide over the past couple of years.
This in itself will add a new attacking dimension.
Really hoping Elgey hits the ground running and does not slide off to Blacktown....if he does produce the goods, the entire dynamics of the side could go up a notch or 2 which will be good enough for finals footy.

I must confess, when Elgey burst onto the scene a few seasons ago, would have loved to snap him up at Manly.
He now lingers between NRL and Qld Cup as a 5/8 who is erratic, offering some flashy attack mixed with some defensive lapses and does not seem to have that control of a game in the balance.
He is also a confidence player and if the Manly forwards can get some good momentum, he could imo be a player who exceeds expectations....has a good, flat long ball which will give Kelly more early ball to 1 on 1 avoiding the slide, which we have really been slow with distribution out wide over the past couple of years.
This in itself will add a new attacking dimension.
Really hoping Elgey hits the ground running and does not slide off to Blacktown....if he does produce the goods, the entire dynamics of the side could go up a notch or 2 which will be good enough for finals footy.

He’s got the talent for sure, consistency has been his biggest issue.

Let's see what the mad scientist does with our structure.
We could end up with elegy at hooker, Api at lock and Siro at 5/8 yet.

BUT if elegy is in the top half of all the 6's in the comp next year then we will play finals.
The Mad Scientist....... LOL
download (2).jpg

Well it's not like there are a lot of options outside of him for the 6 spot, so if he doesn't fire where does that leave us ? I'm assuming we'll hang onto Croker for depth, so he'd be next cab off the rank and it's looking like 2018 all over again

I'm not sure Elgey is the style of half we are looking for, so don't know how he and DCE are going to work together. It could be a beautiful thing of free flowing attack based on good passing game on both sides of the ruck.....or it could be a headless chook with no structure and below par kicking game, much like most of this year.

The thing I find most interesting about his signing is who actually organised it and signed off on it. We allegedly don't have a recruitment manager or list manager, so was it Barrett ?? If so seems strange seeing as though the rumour was that he was on the outer prior to Kane announcing his pending arrival so why would he be recruiting if he wasn't planning on seeing out his contract ?. Was it Cartwright assuming that he had the first grade gig locked away and decided to call on his Titans contacts ?? Just seemed to me to be strange timing, be interested to see what Desmond thinks of it all.

Like most people, I’m not sold on Elgey. Most halves struggle defensively, and that can be forgiven if they can prove a real threat in attack and someone who can get the best out of his backline.

Time and space through quick play the balls will be key for Elgey - if our forwards can provide this then we may see him grow in confidence as his attack flows. It’s important for all halves, but especially confidence players which he seems to be.

If our defence improves significantly, it puts less pressure on our attack as we won’t be constantly chasing points.

I’m keen to see if our last tackle options improve with Elgey in the six with less pressure on DCE to do everything.

I think we should call him phlegm until he proves himself.

He's kind of alike a nondescript squishy substance you want to avoid- it's there and you don't want go near it. Maybe once he dries up a bit after a few Dessie sprays he might be tolerable.

I haven't forgiven some of his comments he made when Manly made him an offer back in his old coast days. Little p#ick.

NYEagle

It will be interesting. Wasn’t looking good for him with Cartwright coach. With Des will improve his defence, which in turn will reignite his confidence, and, maybe, may return his early career form in attack as well.

Certainly not sold, although he, and everything else, is looking much better under a man like Des. Very defencively focused, and innovative in attack. Croker is obviously the backup, and he’s not too bad himself, so we’re at least OK in the halves for now. Probably need to keep Walker in the centres from now on to make sure we don’t stuff up our backline again. It isn’t quality enough as it is, so that sums up how bad the depth is in that department. Baz never went for balance in a side...

I think we should call him phlegm until he proves himself.

He's kind of alike a nondescript squishy substance you want to avoid- it's there and you don't want go near it. Maybe once he dries up a bit after a few Dessie sprays he might be tolerable.

I haven't forgiven some of his comments he made when Manly made him an offer back in his old coast days. Little p#ick.

NYEagle
Well. That's put a bit of a dampener on things hasn't it?.......... ...

LG doesn't have to be a superstar for us. Just a solid 5/8 who can take pressure from DCE in the halves and allow both Walker to play centre where he should be and Tom to use his running game from fullback rather than having to play as an extra play maker.

He doesn't have to be as good as Foran was when in his prime with us, just solid in the same way Blake Green was for us in 2017.

But if any coach can shape him up.....its Des.

LG doesn't have to be a superstar for us. Just a solid 5/8 who can take pressure from DCE in the halves and allow both Walker to play centre where he should be and Tom to use his running game from fullback rather than having to play as an extra play maker.

He doesn't have to be as good as Foran was when in his prime with us, just solid in the same way Blake Green was for us in 2017.

If Elgey can kick for a jumping Turbo and get the odd repaet set then he will earn his money.

Do 'we' think he will be our goal kicker?
He has a success rate of 79.17%.
Mind you, he's only been used sparingly, kicking 19 goals from 24 attempts.
Will he play halfback with Cherry at 5/8, or doesn't it matter these days?

In comparison to Froggie he IS a superstar!!

I am a massive believer in giving early ball to centres who have evasive skills.
Problem this year on Kelly's side was Turbo crabbing and crowding Kelly out of it quite often or Turbo throwing a shocking pass - seems like he hits less than 75% of his passes. If Turbo smooths out some of that inexperience play and Elgey is as good a passer as we are led to believe then Dessie will be thinking he is "Back to the Future" with his favourite Snake second man wrap play

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6