Election 2010, who do you think will win and why??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mark from Brisbane link said:
Gronk, just so you know, I am from NSW, and NOT tarred with that Maroon brush they have up this way....I am a Blue through and through...oh yes and a Manly supporter!!

Yeah I know mate.  I assume that makes it three things you agree with me on now. 

CW, we'd have to have a lot fewer councils - no more than say 5-6 for all of Sydney I reckon.  Totally different model. 

The height of it was 60 minutes thinking that one week before an election it is a good idea to unleash Mark Latham.

Watch out Mark, you agree with me too many more times and next election I'll have you getting sunburnt while handing out how to vote ALP cards!

That was ridiculous (and now five things).

As to part 2, only when I can get you to stand next to me and hand out how to vote for the Libs!!...I'll do half the day for Labor and you do half the day for the Libs???

In reality you vote Labor and I am a conservative, and as I have said they are so bloody close I can't tell the difference (and neither could the electorate).

As much as it pains me to say this I could even vote Labor one day, as long as they were not tied up with the Greens.

I like and respect many Labor pollies, Kevin Rudd for one...and how can you not like Stephen Smith....and wait for it....I even quite like Julia Foolia...and applaud the idea of a female PM.

Some I detest, mostly those that were ex Union Officials, Martin Ferguson and Bill Shorten really rub me up the wrong way.

But then again, I like some Liberal pollies as well and detest others, so as I say (if not for the Greens) there's not a struck match between them.

Good luck to Julia, she "just" scrapped in but as I have said over the last 17 days....I expect us to be going through the whole thing again within 12-18 months, as (with what we have seen re the mining tax yesterday and today) this is a very very brittle arrangement.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
That was ridiculous (and now five things).

As to part 2, only when I can get you to stand next to me and hand out how to vote for the Libs!!...I'll do half the day for Labor and you do half the day for the Libs???

In reality you vote Labor and I am a conservative, and as I have said they are so bloody close I can't tell the difference (and neither could the electorate).

As much as it pains me to say this I could even vote Labor one day, as long as they were not tied up with the Greens.

I like and respect many Labor pollies, Kevin Rudd for one...and how can you not like Stephen Smith....and wait for it....I even quite like Julia Foolia...and applaud the idea of a female PM.

Some I detest, mostly those that were ex Union Officials, Martin Ferguson and Bill Shorten really rub me up the wrong way.

But then again, I like some Liberal pollies as well and detest others, so as I say (if not for the Greens) there's not a struck match between them.

Good luck to Julia, she \"just\" scrapped in but as I have said over the last 17 days....I expect us to be going through the whole thing again within 12-18 months, as (with what we have seen re the mining tax yesterday and today) this is a very very brittle arrangement.

Bloody hell Mark, stop being so reasonable. 

There's no way to tell, but my gut feeling is this parliament will go close to the full term against expectations. 

yeah would that be New England???

I have friends that live there and they reckon Windsor has sold them out, said to me that they didn't think he's stand in 2013 and was only going this extra time to get his entitlements ( I think you need 10 years in Parliament to get a lifetime pension etc etc)....I don't know whether this is right or wrong just saying what my mate said.

I thought you only needed 2 terms. 10 years seems too long for a lifetime govt perk. F'ing politicians!!!!

Is this thread rivalling the "Is there a God" thread? It seems that way :) MHO is that the independents will do whatever it takes to ensure the current govt lasts a s long as is possible. How else will Rob spend 30 minutes of limelight to reveal a decision?

Canteen Worker link said:
It is very interesting that the length of the parliamentary term has not come up. We are one of only two major countries that has a three year term and maybe four years or three years fixed with the option of an election in the fourth year would be a good innovation. It would get us over the one year and then think about getting reelected cycle. I know the 8 year senate term might be an issue but there are ways to deal with that.

There are positives and negatives to a fixed term of the legislature. A good innovation would be the ability to issue a recall, not on government but on particular members, it would force members to vote locally rather then campaign local and then ignore their electorate for the whole term.

ManlyBacker link said:
Is this thread rivalling the \"Is there a God\" thread? It seems that way :) MHO is that the independents will do whatever it takes to ensure the current govt lasts a s long as is possible. How else will Rob spend 30 minutes of limelight to reveal a decision?

They have staked their reputation on stable government, it remains to be seen if that means they will support policy they do not like or rather it simply means they will allow a government that can not pass legislation to stand, unable to govern for the next 3 years. The promise by the PM (And Abbott) to not seek a new term until the end of this one is unwise at best, undemocratic at worst. Our system is designed with the circuit breaker of a double dissolution at its core. At the very least the ability to threaten a DD election is a motivating force which should modulate government policy and opposition willingness to bargain. Removing this creates a situation whereby as we have at state level we can end up with absolute stagnate government simply serving time, which is in no ones best interests.

Surely regardless of politics, people must agree if the government can not pass its agenda it should go back to the people and seek a mandate, rather then be forced to wait out 3 years and then try again.

I would like to point out to Mr Windsor and co that the constitution in no place requires stable government, it in no place requires anything from government at all, apart from it existing and being able to stand on its vote. As such the will of the people as expressed in a mandate or cross party agreement is paramount, if neither can be reached we should have another election.

While I am certainly in favor of giving this government a chance, if they are clearly having problems in a year or so they should have the option of calling a poll and not waiting because of the opinion of 3 men, one of whom wears a funny hat.

Garts link said:
I thought you only needed 2 terms. 10 years seems too long for a lifetime govt perk. F'ing politicians!!!!

Wow, you might be the only one who thinks the pollies should have to do less then they do now to get their perks.

bob dylan link said:
My info is there could be a by-election pre-xmas in a nsw electorate.

I have heard rumblings as well but not about the seat you are thinking of, but I doubt that anyone will willingly go to the polls again soon without compelling evidence to say their party will not lose the seat.

Not much to add but what a decent thread....reminds me of the old forum days

I grew up in New England - the seat of the old Nationals (and Country Party) Leader, Ian Sinclair. He was fairly lucky he didn't spend time in gaol actually but that is another story.

Whilst a safe Nationals electorate, the seat has felt very ripped off by successive governments, hence the charm in electing an independent. If Windsor delivers for the local area and gets what Howard and co didn't ever give them, there will be little or no reprisals.

ManlyBacker link said:
Is this thread rivalling the \"Is there a God\" thread? It seems that way :) MHO is that the independents will do whatever it takes to ensure the current govt lasts a s long as is possible. How else will Rob spend 30 minutes of limelight to reveal a decision?

Top 10 Topics (by Replies)

No polish.  534
Election 2010, who do you think will win and why??  336
2008 Toyota Cup Thread  329
Van Nguyen  293
Footy from a girls view  256
EPL Thread 2009/2010  253
MWSE forum closed down today  242
The God Debate  230
Manly V Souths Teams, News Stats & Chat  223
Hodkinson gorn  212

Not even close MB. However a certain disgruntled moderator deleted the God Thread when it overtook his "No Polish" thread. A dummy spit of the highest order as I recall.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8