Pre-Game Eels v Manly [Round 16, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

34 4
CommBank Stadium
17 Jun 2023 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eels v Sea Eagles, Saturday at CommBank Stadium​

Eels: Daejarn Asi takes over the No.7 with Mitch Moses away on Blues Origin duty, with Ryan Matterson named at five-eighth in his return from a calf injury. Joe Ofahengaue (calf) also returns on the bench while Josh Hodgson (neck) remains sidelined with Brendan Hands named at hooker.
Surely a smoke screen with Cartwright most likely to swap with matterson?!

Gutherson concerns me. I think if we are to be any hope Schuster needs to pull out his bag of tricks to counter Gutho's impressive skill set. We also have to contain their offloads big time.
Pretty sure the sqeels are saying the same thing. They might be favourites, but go on their forum site and they see this as a 50 50 game.

Surely a smoke screen with Cartwright most likely to swap with matterson?!
Cartwright is tricky with ball in hand but he's no Dylan Brown who can slice through tackles and set up attacking plays. No Mosses and Brown for them, at least we have Schuster and when he's on his game he can burst open defences. Match them in the forwards and the rest should look after itself.

Got a feeling Shoey might have a big game, couple of things spring to mind, Bozo’s tribute game was at commbank against this lot, he played 6 that day and killed it, so he has fond memories, we lost both our games against Parra last year but Josh wasn’t really a part of it, coming off the bench in the first game, played limited mins in the second half (think the fall out with him and Des had begun) he didn‘t play the second game, so 22 works in a strange way as a bit of extra motivation to recapture the 21 experience.

I’m thinking, starting back in the 6, with strong memories of 21, pretty sure he’ll want to step up in the absence of our skipper and his halves partner, especially knowing the opposition halves pairing are out, his match fitness should be on the up, just have a feeling he’ll be up for this.

Last edited:
Admire your loyalty to the Eels JustARandom but a few points

Interested that you consider Matterson and Asi danger players for Manly. Matterson is generally a second row/ lock, with some 5/8 experience while half back Asi was third pick for the Eels behind Arthur this season before Arthur moved to Manly. Hmmm. I guess you don't know Schuster who per game is the second highest try assist player this season. Also Manly have four of the fastest payers in the game in Weekes, Koula, Saab and Garrick. And did I mention Olakau'atu and Sam Fainu? Hmm. Gutherson, yes he needs to be watched. Would you say you have any other game breakers? Good luck though

I didn't say I consider them danger players. I said, with them as halves, Parramatta (as a team) could trouble this Manly team on paper

I'm looking at the teams as a whole. Not based on individuals

My main reasoning for this, is more because Parra have not moved Gutherson to half, which would have also forced a reshuffle on the edge

They have kept the edge and fullback (as much of the team/line as possible) unchanged, and brought in Matterson to play in his old position

Everyone also seems to be overlooking the fact that Matterson was a 5/8 till he started at Roosters

He was also the Junior Kangaroos halfback, selected over players like Cameron Munster. Link below

Ryan Matterson 5/8 - Halfback

On paper, as individual players, Manly has a team capable of beating any team in the competition

Cohesion, without certain key players, is a different matter all together

But the same could be said for Parramatta. Which is why, as I said in my last post. I think this game could go either way. Toss a coin

If either team exploits a weak link, it could get ugly

But it is more likely, with untested halves pairings, it will be a fairly conservative grind

And if that is the case, that suits Parras style

I am hoping JA has a blinder for Manly ...

If he does and Manly wins, I wouldn't actually mind Parra losing

It is a win/win for me this week, really

Kinda like State of origin. I support Qld and think they will win, but I'd also like to see Moses steer NSW to a win, with everyone underestimating him

JA playing Parra this week is the same

But I think this will be a tight game in most regards

If big Jake had been playing for you guys, I probably would have picked Manly in my tipping, because he is the key motivator for Manly in the grind. But without him, I'm thinking Parra 1-12

Best of luck guys 🍀

Last edited:
Got a feeling Shoey might have a big game,
The Shoe has big shoes to fill

1686869981184.png

He needs to play smart and solid this time, I hope he doesn’t overplay his hand because cheap possession to the Eels could tip the balance.
Well I think seeing him actually run the ball last week and take a couple of tackles, kind of tells me that though process is in his head, not looking for the magic moment every play, early days of course and this week with the added responsibility, I think he will be well schooled in regard to overplaying his hand, (hopefully without tempering his ability to play what he sees) guess we only have a little while to find out.

Excited to see Arthur start.

No expecting him to set the world on fire but I tend to think, in all the noise around parra fans booing and calls of nepotism yada yada it is overlooked that we have a young 20 year old half that already has 21 first grade appearences under his bet.

Now he may kick on, he may not but that is a pretty solid foundation for his age.

I’m thinking putting $500 on manly at $2.30 should i do it guys or don’t risk it being at Com bank.
Depends. If you happen to be one of the 66 Australians who earned average $14 million yet paid no tax, sure - why not!

Also, if you aren’t sure whether you should risk it - go on, do it, what could possibly go wrong!

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Thank you @The Wheel
The final words before the game from our fearless leader Seibold...
He has no concerns over Flanos Dragons head coach distraction's
He sees our missing SOO players an opportunity for players filling in to stamp their own mark
He is looking to build the Manly game on consistency and growing as a group and feels he is accomplishing this even though our team has not had back to back wins since round 7&8
He Praised our new centre sensation Rueben and sees him as a foreseeable future right centre

Last edited:
Whilst I can't see the game live this week I am looking forward to seeing how Schuster and Arthurs manage the side. I hope they take it steady and our pack give them a solid foundation to work from. This would be a very important win for us on a number of fronts. Go Manly! My tip is Manly 32 Parramatta 18.

This looks like a game for Manly to win. We should have a good edge in kick metres. Young Arthur will be extremely keen to win this one and I think he might do a pretty reasonable job of steering the play. If our forwards can stand up - and I think they will - then we are close to winning this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11