Drugs, Sex, Domestic Violence: Football's dark cover up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes and no.
From my understanding the no fault stand down policy is for alleged offences that carry 10 years prison term. so DV, drugs, cover-ups etc don't quite fit that whereas DeBelin and Fainu's charges do.
So why was Walkz stood down?

The Rabbitohs have declared Sam Burgess will coach the club's SG Ball team in 2021, despite facing drug and domestic violence allegations.
So, there's no 'No Fault Stand Down' policy for Souffs. Sounds fair.
So I gather his 300k per annum trainee admin job fell through?

Souths are so dodgy about paying out his playing contract. So he’s a juniors coach now? I bet the parents are glad he is guiding their boys.

So why was Walkz stood down?
See below, he was stood down at the discretion of the NRL CEO at the time.

it also for any offence against women at the discretion of the NRL ...

players charged with a criminal offence carrying a penalty of at least 11 years will be automatically stood down from playing in the NRL competition; ... the NRL's CEO can use his discretion to stand down players charged with less serious criminal offences, particularly where the offence involves women and children.Jun 4, 2019

As far as I know, Burgess hasn't been charged with anything so he is not bound by these rules (and isn't playing anyway).

South Sydney players say they will "absolutely" stand by Andrew McDonald after the NSW Police and the NRL integrity unit launched investigations into allegations levelled against the club doctor last week....
There is "absolutely" nothing new in this story. The 'journo' would have asked one of the players: do you support Dr McDonald? The reply: "absolutely". And there is the story. Somehow the 'journo expanded it to include "South Sydney players" to make it sound like the whole team is supporting the doctor, but this is what our journalism has become when filling space is the only thing that is important.
Absolutely.

Their shared concern will last right up until Dr Macca is disbarred from practising.

See below, he was stood down at the discretion of the NRL CEO at the time.

As far as I know, Burgess hasn't been charged with anything so he is not bound by these rules (and isn't playing anyway).

I believe the policy affects all employees of the NRL and clubs, not just players .... and I think he has been charged with something ... his lawyer was in court the other day ....

I believe the policy affects all employees of the NRL and clubs, not just players .... and I think he has been charged with something ... his lawyer was in court the other day ....

I couldn't find where it said the policy applies to all staff... but then again John Hopoate was prevented from coaching SG Ball a few years ago, so they could stop it from happening if they wanted to.

You are correct regarding the charge (it's even on the first page, oops). However after a quick read it looks like the matter didn't directly involve women or children, so I am not sure the NRL will apply their discretion here (yet).

The ironic thing is in this day and age of equality alleged crimes against women (and children) are deemed worse than any other crime regardless.
With the Burgess allegations, all the rhetoric is about the DV whilst the ones that are levelled at the club - drug cover-up, falsifying scripts etc - seem to be..meh.

You are correct regarding the charge (it's even on the first page, oops). However after a quick read it looks like the matter didn't directly involve women or children, so I am not sure the NRL will apply their discretion here (yet).
He is charged with an offence under section 13 Crimes (Domestic and Personal Violence) Act 2013 (NSW).
This is a domestic violence offence. Intimidation carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment (and incidentally is 250% more serious than common assault, according to law).

However Sam's offence is not alleged to have any connection to women or children. It's just a good clean man against man offence, in fact merely an allegation that he intimidated the father (a male) of a woman, who had told Sam to get off his property and not to intimidate his daughter (by chance, a woman). Allegedly.
So pretty easy to see why it didn't cross the Greenberg suspension threshold.

I couldn't find where it said the policy applies to all staff... but then again John Hopoate was prevented from coaching SG Ball a few years ago, so they could stop it from happening if they wanted to.

Our one great hope is that GreenTurd is no longer the "look them in the eye" bearer of the discretionary powers .... he would probably would have banned Mrs Burgess and the Melb. woman from attending NRL games for life for daring to speak ill of Sammy ...

Last edited:
I read that Sam Burgess' legal team has won some court 'victory' to have disclosed to them how the allegations against the player were leaked to the media.
Talk about shooting the messenger.
Why is it relevant how the allegations surfaced in the media? The only important issue is whether they are true or not.

I read that Sam Burgess' legal team has won some court 'victory' to have disclosed to them how the allegations against the player were leaked to the media.
Talk about shooting the messenger.
Why is it relevant how the allegations surfaced in the media? The only important issue is whether they are true or not.
A bit like the government persuing journalists who exposes SASR war crimes. Subterfuge.

A snippet from today's court hearing:

Burgess’s lawyer Phillip Boulten SC accused her of leaking documents to a media publication in order to destroy his client’s reputation.
But Ms Burgess said The Australian approached her about rumours that had been circulating and said she chose not to cover up her side of the story “which is so typical of the system I was a part of”.

Why does Burgess' defence lawyer keep on with this line of 'defence'? Forget trying to deflect the issue -- it's irrelevant how the story came to and start disputing the allegations!

A snippet from today's court hearing:

Burgess’s lawyer Phillip Boulten SC accused her of leaking documents to a media publication in order to destroy his client’s reputation.
But Ms Burgess said The Australian approached her about rumours that had been circulating and said she chose not to cover up her side of the story “which is so typical of the system I was a part of”.

Why does Burgess' defence lawyer keep on with this line of 'defence'? Forget trying to deflect the issue -- it's irrelevant how the story came to and start disputing the allegations!

Yep,
If true, then his client has damaged his own reputation.
How that became public knowledge shouldn't really matter too much.
Divorces and custodial matters get messy so anything that can be used to advantage generally is.
If the only dirt they can dish up on Ms Burgess is how the documents were leaked to the media then they are in trouble,

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4