Pre-Game Dragons v Manly [Round 4, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

20 12
WIN Stadium
30 Mar 2024 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can bet Flanno will have his team up for this game, he knows how we work and all our plays, it wont be an easy game thats for sure
I think if we target suli and Flanagan with Ola we will crush them but i do agree they will be up for this. They leak points like a siv so imho we will scrore more then they will. Manly 13+ unless we completely **** the bed lol

Bit unfortunate if Waddell misses out as has really been really wholehearted with his on field efforts so far this season
But guess in terms of general impact ,Sips should make a bit more difference .
Think that i noticed both Froggy and Lawton on the field together latter in the match and no reappearance of Burbo . Burbo has done quite well naturally prior to last weekend but a bit out of sorts against the Eels and hopefully a bounce back factor for his and the team"s sake

If they've got any thoughts of being a competitor for top 4 this year then these are the games we have to show hunger especially in defense. Letting the goons score easy points is just going to show we don't have the fortitude to be a top tier team. I expect a solid win here or I'm afraid it's more of the same last 10 years.
Agree, I want to see us hold them to scoring >14. If we win and they score another 20+. I'll take it but It's a Clayton's win.

Some information about the two teams.

Dragons

Francis Molo has served his ban and will start at prop with Jack de Belin likely to revert to lock and Ben Murdoch-Masila dropping out of the side.

Jacob Liddle was sidelined with a head knock last week but should return at dummy-half, with Jesse Marschke a possibility to move to the bench.

Raymond Faitala-Mariner started in the second row with Jaydn Su'A ruled out through injury and is expected to cover there for the time being.

Manly

Raymond Tuiamalo Vaega will face competition from Tommy Talau for a spot on the wing, with the latter a chance to return from injury.

Tof Sipley is back from suspension and could grab a spot on the bench with Corey Waddell or Ethan Bullemor likely to miss out.

Josh Aloiai was sent to the sin-bin for striking Reagan Campbell-Gillard during last week's loss, but avoided a charge so will start at prop.

Josh Schuster is unlikely to join the side as he continues to work his way back to fitness.

Hopefully Sipley Starts over Oshay and he goes to the bench for Waddell. Id also be happy for Talau to start over Ray Vega

I was really confident V the Squeals , our side is always UP for the games against the big sides.

It’s these games V those well below us that I always worry about.

You can absolutely guarantee their new coach will have them 110% primed for this one and apart from last year we are abysmal at this venue.

I think we should win, but it’s going to be close .

Given we tried to offload Aloiai at the start of the year I reckon the pressure will be on him when lodge returns. I see him missing out. He was strong in the first couple of weeks but pretty quiet against the eels. However, he was not alone there.
Toff has more ability to break a tackle and run for 100+ meters. Aloiai doesn't offer much other than maybe a quick play the ball. I'm looking forward to Lodge returning I think he adds more to our pack with some size and aggression

Toff has more ability to break a tackle and run for 100+ meters. Aloiai doesn't offer much other than maybe a quick play the ball. I'm looking forward to Lodge returning I think he adds more to our pack with some size and aggression
It’s ironic you mention this. There was a moment late in the second when a great tackle on the Eels player coming off their line caused the ball to be jolted loose. Aloiai dived on the ball just a few meters out from the Parra line, with all their defensive players up the field and rushing to get back to defend. They were completely shot… and what happened? Aloiai went on to take an eternity to get up and play the ball, which allowed the defenders to get back and hold us out. I was screaming at him to show some urgency. The Eels were gone and we should have walked a try in.

It’s ironic you mention this. There was a moment late in the second when a great tackle on the Eels player coming off their line caused the ball to be jolted loose. Aloiai dived on the ball just a few meters out from the Parra line, with all their defensive players up the field and rushing to get back to defend. They were completely shot… and what happened? Aloiai went on to take an eternity to get up and play the ball, which allowed the defenders to get back and hold us out. I was screaming at him to show some urgency. The Eels were gone and we should have walked a try in.
I thought the same thing I was screaming at the TV for a quick play the ball, I was more so mentioning it in general that he is only good for the occasional quick play the ball otherwise he is fairly useless in my eyes. I still don't remember one game out of the 50 Aloiai has played that stands out to me where he has played extremely well, I'd be happy for him to drop out of the team over everyone else.

I thought the same thing I was screaming at the TV for a quick play the ball, I was more so mentioning it in general that he is only good for the occasional quick play the ball otherwise he is fairly useless in my eyes. I still don't remember one game out of the 50 Aloiai has played that stands out to me where he has played extremely well, I'd be happy for him to drop out of the team over everyone else.
I agree, Leighbra. I wasn’t attacking your opinion, I was just recalling that particular incident from Sunday. @:)

I remember. Opportunity lost.

It looked like a quick scramble to his feet could have seen him cross for a try, with barely a hand laid on him.

Maybe he was just too tired, plus they had a set of six tackles to play with.

I remember. Opportunity lost.

It looked like a quick scramble to his feet could have seen him cross for a try, with barely a hand laid on him.

Maybe he was just too tired, plus they had a set of six tackles to play with.
Actually, I wasn’t even thinking of Aloiai getting to his feet and crossing the line himself… just a more urgent quick play-the-ball would have done it. I can only imagine he went super-conservative and thought he should slow it up so the attack could get set.

Illawarra always give us grief....I have seen them field a 2nd rate team against our best sides over the past 20 years and get it over us.
The big thing here is Manly getting out of the blocks, this is an opposition who will only lift if they feel Manly are going through the motions.
Fact is this Manly side based on 2024 including the Eels game should win comfortably, but are going to need that strong start to assert dominance and not just look for the pretty shifts without knocking down the middle gates first.
Once the middle is comprimised, anything is possible.

I think for team balance and game management I see Toff coming off the bench for a wave of impact with Bully. We shouldn’t start Toff with TP because Oshay offers no impact if he was to come off the bench.
We need that 20min bench injection, imo we get that from Toff and Bully.

Bit unfortunate if Waddell misses out as has really been really wholehearted with his on field efforts so far this season
But guess in terms of general impact ,Sips should make a bit more difference .
Think that i noticed both Froggy and Lawton on the field together latter in the match and no reappearance of Burbo . Burbo has done quite well naturally prior to last weekend but a bit out of sorts against the Eels and hopefully a bounce back factor for his and the team"s sake
Waddell stays, Bully to be rested this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8