Does this piss anyone else off ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Listening to a bit more commentary than normal with the games on but have noticed how often the term "years of age" is used rather than "years old". Its so and so at only 20 years of age against whosit at only 19 years of age wtf's wrong with saying thingo is 20 and jimbob is 19 years old. Must be beacause i'm an older chap but the term "years of age" allways reminds me of Nigel Lovelace the old Paul Hogan character.

The commentary is so jingoistic and biased it isn't funny. If Ray Warren and Darrell Eastlake are the best we have it is sad.

ABC radio commentary is so much better.

the one that annoys me is

"promotes the ball"

he doesnt promote the ball he ****ing passes it!

of coarse the commentry is biased - its for aussie tv and only aussie tv. There is a seperate international broadcast.

\"promotes the ball\"

What about Rabbit's when he says so and so played his stomache out as if guts is just to vulgar to pass his lips

Grrr. Grumpy Old Men unite :)

How about in the opposition's "Red Zone"? I have to get a new plasma because my CRT just doesn't display it! 8|

Some of the commentators should have stuck to calling the Dapto dogs.

\"promotes the ball\"

Does he pass it though. When someone says "pass the salt" does it spend time in the air between people. I would suggest that when something is passed it is handed. I think he actually "throws the ball" :?:

Clontaago no you are incorrect. the name pass is not an action but instead a name of the action in the code.

i.e. forward pass

So yes he does Pass it.

Because Pass is a term of the sport not an action in the dictionary term

Clontaago no you are incorrect. the name pass is not an action but instead a name of the action in the code.

i.e. forward pass

So yes he does Pass it.

A slight contradiction there Daniel. The name PASS is not an action, but onstead a name of the action.

How can something not be an action, but still be an action by being termed an action??

[quote author=Daniel]

i.e. forward pass

So yes he does Pass it.

A slight contradiction there Daniel. The name PASS is not an action, but onstead a name of the action.
How can something not be an action, but still be an action by being termed an action??

[/quote]

:wall:

Doug let me further define it.
PASS:
1. To go across; go through.
2. To cause to move into a certain position.
3. To cease to exist; die.
4. To be voided from the body.

Pass is infact an abbreviation of passage.

An example provided by most dictionaries is
adj : of advancing the ball by throwing it.

So not only does the dictionary define it that they do infact technically "Pass" the ball but it is also a listed TERM within the game and by laws.

This term means it has a defined meaning outside the dictionary term as well.

Much like "Head" "Hand" etc in Soccer.

These are terms outside of the dictionary meaning but are a term used within the game and defined within the game.

So to re-cap

1- You do actually "Pass" the ball
2 - It is a term of the game who's meaning could be seperate from the dictionary term for this usage

I like the pommy bloke who comentates Channel 9 cricket. He's one of the most non-biased cementator i've ever heard. And he knows the game so well. Just can't remember his name. He's on the CWG at the moment.

\"promotes the ball\"

Just to play devils advocate here Dan there are many times where promote would be more apt than pass. You can pass the ball and lose ground in possession where if you promote the ball it would indicate that the football has advanced due to the pass.

of coarse the commentry is biased - its for aussie tv and only aussie tv. There is a seperate international broadcast.

Actually, it's commentary for WASPs born in the country.

To everyone else (eg the educated world majority) it is nauseating tosh.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4