Does Parker / Suli hold their centre positions ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Many, many years ago when most of you were still a dream in your parents lives, I knew a young fellow at school who ended up playing centre for the Sea Eagles way back in 1970.

He wasn't very fast, but he was solid and an excellent defender.

He was shifted to the forwards to accommodate speedier centres such as John McDonald, Bob Fulton and later Ray Brannigan.

This young player was very similar in stature to Parker, both tall, strong, hard running, quite fast for a forward and an excellent defender. That player went on to become one of Manly's finest forwards. His name of course is Terry Randall.

Parker reminds me a lot of a young Randall. Tall, quite slender, tough as teak, reasonably fast, hard running and a top defender. For me I would have him in as Manly's lock, or on the bench, in an instant.
Could definitely be an Lance Thompson (from dragons) type. I could easily see him playing as a 2nd rower

Terry Randall's 2 biggest advantages back in the day were speed and fitness ... (toughness a given) .... especially against slower tiring opposition ... sorry, I feel a home schooling coming on ..

speed is the single greatest advantage to a tackler ... it simply means you can hit the ball runner when you want to ... not when you have to .. you control both the angle and point of collision ...

simply rather than run up and having to make any front on contact you can ... you can confidently allow the attacker another yard and hit him at a 45 degree angle .... Igor was the master at timing his hits ...

I respect the fact you knew Igor in the early days before he evolved, pretty cool stuff.
Still feel when Randall's name was mentioned the opposition were intimidated as he was more and enforcer, whereas even giving Parker time, feel he will be in the solid, reliable and well respected category.
No doubt Parker can tackle well and he also would be a great edge runner, which he has already scored some close range tries powering through the halves close to the line in recent seasons.

Quite valid Maxta.

I was speaking of potential, and yes, predicting a player's future is always fraught with the likelihood of disappointment or misjudgement.

Given time there are many paths that Parker's career may take and I would not dismiss the possibility of him becoming a future enforcer so readily. But maybe not. For example there was no suggestion when Randall started out that he would end up an enforcer. He was just a reasonably talented centre with a good defensive technique. No one would have guessed that Cliffy was destined for such heights during his early 20s. Even Fulton as I recall was just a clever, tough young five eighth when he started at Manly. Stanton was the star player.

All we can do is note the skills they have and extrapolate from there as to their likely outcome. But there are too many variables along the way to be sure of them reaching a potential they seem to possess, or we may expect. So yes I am only postulating, based on basic skills I'm seeing today and trying to compare with past players I've seen. He may reach the heights or he may fall by the way side in a year or two. Or he may become something totally unexpected. All we can do is to watch and enjoy the journey that may or may not lead to prominence, and have a little fun guessing where he will be in a few years.

Even Fulton as I recall was just a clever, tough young five eighth when he started at Manly. Stanton was the star player.
I agree with your post but this bit about Fulton probably should be qualified, looks like he became a huge star if not immediately then pretty bloody close to it!
According to the Player Project:
" a shock omission from the 1967-68 Kangaroo tour (having already played for NSW) but made his debut for Australia in the World Cup the following year. In 1968, at age 20, Fulton captain-coached City against Country and led Manly in the 13-9 grand final loss to Souths"

Some centres or outside backs seem to be able to make the transition to an effective back row role reasonably well and in recent times with guys like Cooper , Yeo , Gillett , Glen and so on .Think that Brad would be more like a Nathan Green type player as a back rower and not really suited there . Things could change down the track but can only see Brad 's best position as a centre short term and long term and for a variety of reasons . in any case , Manly have quite a few quality contenders now for back row spots and going forward Terry Randall had natural footy ability but his real strengths mainly revolved around just his extreme toughness , discipline , fitness ,level and superb tackling technique . Just a genuine hard man , recall him as being quite mobile but never a fast player , even as a young centre .

Just a genuine hard man , recall him as being quite mobile but never a fast player , even as a young centre
Lol must have been late in his career I recall watching some of his matches where he seemed to be running up and down on the spot. Still always vital to the team for his defence and intimidating presence, but not really much of an attacking weapon!

Lol must have been late in his career I recall watching some of his matches where he seemed to be running up and down on the spot. Still always vital to the team for his defence and intimidating presence, but not really much of an attacking weapon!
Also was playing as a prop as early as 1976 and ended up there at the end of his career in 82 or so . Of course plenty of great attributes but agree , intimidation was a real factor during his long and successful footy career

I agree with your post but this bit about Fulton probably should be qualified, looks like he became a huge star if not immediately then pretty bloody close to it!
According to the Player Project:
" a shock omission from the 1967-68 Kangaroo tour (having already played for NSW) but made his debut for Australia in the World Cup the following year. In 1968, at age 20, Fulton captain-coached City against Country and led Manly in the 13-9 grand final loss to Souths"

You're right that he developed very quickly.

I remember watching him in 1966 when he first came to Manly. I remember it was already obvious that he was going to be something else, but as I said in that year he was good but not the star.

By 1967 he was showing his outstanding skills but was in many ways still feeling his way. That's why Tony Branson (same age), another player with outstanding potential, who almost joined Fulton at Manly, but was grabbed by St George in 1968, won that Kangaroo spot ahead of Fulton for the 1967-68 Kangaroo tour. He outplayed Fulton in the rep matches as a country rep. Fulton was still a little hot and cold at that stage but everyone knew he was a star on the rise.

As it played out. the potential of Branson fizzled out over the next year, though he continued to play for St George until 1973. But by mid 1968 Fulton had assumed the mantle of top five eighth in the comp. Such is the difficulty in predicting based on potential. One became a super star, the other just a good five eighth who retired when barely only 26 and never played another test.

Lost opportunities mind you can change a career. Take Billy Bradstreet for example. He outplayed Ron Coote early in his career, but Coote was in a hot Souths side and won the Kangaroos spot back. I always considered Bradstreet a player worthy of rep football but rarely got the opportunity.

I remember watching him in 1966 when he first came to Manly. I remember it was already obvious that he was going to be something else, but as I said in that year he was good but not the star.

By 1967 he was showing his outstanding skills but was in many ways still feeling his way. That's why Tony Branson (same age), another player with outstanding potential, who almost joined Fulton at Manly, but was grabbed by St George in 1968, won that Kangaroo spot ahead of Fulton for the 1967-68 Kangaroo tour. He outplayed Fulton in the rep matches as a country rep. Fulton was still a little hot and cold at that stage but everyone knew he was a star on the rise.

As it played out. the potential of Branson fizzled out over the next year, though he continued to play for St George until 1973. But by mid 1968 Fulton had assumed the mantle of top five eighth in the comp. Such is the difficulty in predicting based on potential. One became a super star, the other just a good five eighth who retired when barely only 26 and never played another test.

Lost opportunities mind you can change a career. Take Billy Bradstreet for example. He outplayed Ron Coote early in his career, but Coote was in a hot Souths side and won the Kangaroos spot back. I always considered Bradstreet a player worthy of rep football but rarely got the opportunity.
Bradstreet must have been a top player in his time and well regarded . Recall reading an article about his playing career at Manly and how he was sometimes targeted by some opposition forwards in big matches , usually an indication in those days that he was a key player for his team . Presume that he was a Manly junior [ maybe not ] and also presume that he played all of his i st grade career at Manly .

What I can remember of the lead up to 67 Kangaroo tour was the St George clique really looked after Branson in those trials, Fulton never really had a chance. In some of the trials (or for NSW) Bozo got to play with Raper, Billy Smith, Pop Clay etc. He spent most of the time trying to catch balls around his toes or above his head. I thought Branson was a log compared to Fulton but then I am pretty biased. Agree about Bradstreet too, very talented but up against it with Coote. Then Lindsay Drake came along and I think he may have pushed Bradstreet to second row. (Maybe, long time ago.)

Last edited:
Bradstreet must have been a top player in his time and well regarded . Recall reading an article about his playing career at Manly and how he was sometimes targeted by some opposition forwards in big matches , usually an indication in those days that he was a key player for his team . Presume that he was a Manly junior [ maybe not ] and also presume that he played all of his i st grade career at Manly .
Billy Bradstreet lived up around Seaforth and I think went to Manly CB school. I know he played junior R L (C grade) for Christian Bros. because he flattened me once in a tackle. Think the family originally are from the south coast and his son played state cricket for NSW.

Not sure how we got on to old time players, but just noticed on foxsports a story about Olsen Filipaina, including lining up against Wally Lewis. I'm pretty sure he also steamrolled Bob Fulton a few years earlier, may have been a Test match. At his top he was basically unstoppable.

What I can remember of the lead up to 67 Kangaroo tour was the St George clique really looked after Branson in those trials, Fulton never really had a chance. In some of the trials (or for NSW) Bozo got to play with Raper, Billy Smith, Pop Clay etc. He spent most of the time trying to catch balls around his toes or above his head. I thought Branson was a log compared to Fulton but then I am pretty biased. Agree about Bradstreet too, very talented but up against it with Coote. Then Lindsay Drake came along and I think he may have pushed Bradstreet to second row. (Maybe, long time ago.)

Actually Branson did not sign with St George until after the Kangaroo tour, Freddo.

I remember reading the pieces mainly from Alan Clarkson about the battle at that time between Manly and St George to sign him and St George won so he could replace Poppa Clay who retired at the end of the 1967 premiership games.

It may be that the St George players stifled Fulton's efforts, just as the Queensland established squad stifled DCE's efforts in early SOO games. I remember seeing the games Branson played and in the City country match he did outplay Fulton and that got him ahead into the state sides and then the Kangaroo tour.

Unless a deal had been made well before the Kangaroo matches, the question of which team he was going to join was a top back page issue. But the city country match was mid 1967, well before St George and Manly seemed to know anything about Branson.

I suspect he went to St George not only because of their string of premierships and a shrewd negotiator in Facer, but that Fulton was already Manly's established 5/8 and that meant he would be playing centre, rather than the assurance of 5/8 at St George.

As it turned out Ian Martin who was on the rise in Manly's lower ranks, ended up being too valuable a player and pushed Fulton to the centre, anyway. Martin was another very under rated player like Bradstreet, and deserved far more rep appearances than he got.

But you are right saying the St George and later Souths clique stifled a couple of outstanding player's careers in the Manly ranks. Manly only got a decent say when Arthurson took them to their first premiership in '72, and haven't the establishment hated us ever since.

Last edited:
Parker is at present one of our starting centres with experience and good form. Same goes for Suli. We have plenty of depth in the back row at present.

Just noticed that Tony Branson died on 1 April, I missed that news.
Vale.
No immortal but a Test and NSW player and said to be a local legend in the Shoalhaven area.

1590125618005.png

Actually Branson did not sign with St George until after the Kangaroo tour, Freddo.

I remember reading the pieces mainly from Alan Clarkson about the battle at that time between Manly and St George to sign him and St George won so he could replace Poppa Clay who retired at the end of the 1967 premiership games.

It may be that the St George players stifled Fulton's efforts, just as the Queensland established squad stifled DCE's efforts in early SOO games. I remember seeing the games Branson played and in the City country match he did outplay Fulton and that got him ahead into the state sides and then the Kangaroo tour.

Unless a deal had been made well before the Kangaroo matches, the question of which team he was going to join was a top back page issue. But the city country match was mid 1967, well before St George and Manly seemed to know anything about Branson.

I suspect he went to St George not only because of their string of premierships and a shrewd negotiator in Facer, but that Fulton was already Manly's established 5/8 and that meant he would be playing centre, rather than the assurance of 5/8 at St George.

As it turned out Ian Martin who was on the rise in Manly's lower ranks, ended up being too valuable a player and pushed Fulton to the centre, anyway. Martin was another very under rated player like Bradstreet, and deserved far more rep appearances than he got.

But you are right saying the St George and later Souths clique stifled a couple of outstanding player's careers in the Manly ranks. Manly only got a decent say when Arthurson took them to their first premiership in '72, and haven't the establishment hated us ever since.
Absolutely correct that Branson didn't play for St George before the 6768 tour but I thought it was fairly common knowledge he was to replace Brian Clay in 68. My mates and I formed the opinion that Branson was being played into the team and Fulton was the being played out. Like all opinions it was not necessarily based on fact but that's how it looked to us. I was working at the Sun/Herald at the time and like you remember Clarko had plenty to say. It's probably my Manly bias but I could never quite take to Tony Branson. I wasn't really aware (or can't remember) that we were thinking of signing him. More power to your better memory. :)

Absolutely correct that Branson didn't play for St George before the 6768 tour but I thought it was fairly common knowledge he was to replace Brian Clay in 68. My mates and I formed the opinion that Branson was being played into the team and Fulton was the being played out. Like all opinions it was not necessarily based on fact but that's how it looked to us. I was working at the Sun/Herald at the time and like you remember Clarko had plenty to say. It's probably my Manly bias but I could never quite take to Tony Branson. I wasn't really aware (or can't remember) that we were thinking of signing him. More power to your better memory. :)

What was it I said again. Damned memory.

Think that Rod Cameron played a bit of i st grade at lock when Bill Bradstreet was still playing , maybe before Lindsey Drake appeared on the scene but not that sure . When Mal Reilly was recruited in 71 or so , understandable for Lindsey Drake to move to the Dragons for a few seasons .

Think that Rod Cameron played a bit of i st grade at lock when Bill Bradstreet was still playing ,
Rob
Tough low tackler, not a large player though, from snippets I recall. Not even sure if I ever saw him but recall Frank Hyde's descriptions of players so it feels like I have seen them!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4