Does Parker / Suli hold their centre positions ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
No sure why we are discussing this at present. Both deserve to start the rest is up to them and the injury gods.

Hate to burst the bubble on the Schuster love-fest that's going on ... but wouldn't you think that if for some reason Walker is moved back to the centres that it would be Crocker and then Cust who get first crack at 5/8? Provided they are fit.

Croker was the one who got the bench spot in the opening two rounds and when Parker went off for a (failed) HIA against the Chooks in Round 2, it was he who came on with Walks moving to centre. And he did look a lot more comfortable playing pivot than he did in the opening round subbing at hooker.

Schuster and probably Cust are probably going to have to rely on injuries or very poor form to play much first grade in 2020 (and even then you have to consider that for a centre spot, Elliot is probably next in line anyway). Its also a bit hard to force your way into the side when you're not even playing.

Maybe it won't be Schuster pushing Walker to the centres but if he doesn't perform at 6 someone will...eventually. I doubt it will be Schuster this year too.

I can't see Elliot being first in line for a centre spot and I believe he is seen primarily a backup for TT. Maybe first in line for a wing spot.

For me Walker's future at 6 relies on him linking well with TT and DCE.

He showed some smooth ball-play at the end of last year but over 3 years here he has underwhelmed me.

I'm sure Des would love a REAL 6, like Cliffy, Foran/ Alan Thompson. It just makes the whole game easier.

There are very, very few good 6's around at the moment.

Maybe it won't be Schuster pushing Walker to the centres but if he doesn't perform at 6 someone will...eventually. I doubt it will be Schuster this year too.

I can't see Elliot being first in line for a centre spot and I believe he is seen primarily a backup for TT. Maybe first in line for a wing spot.

He showed some smooth ball-play at the end of last year but over 3 years here he has underwhelmed me.

I'm sure Des would love a REAL 6, like Cliffy, Foran/ Alan Thompson. It just makes the whole game easier.

Really good summary....personally have a huge opinion of Schuster and feel only a matter of time, but if the side is winning and Walker improving at 6...no guarantee for 2020, though can see him grabbing a bench spot at some stage, who knows from there ??
though as also mentioned- Croker did grab a bench spot vs Roosters and was very good including a big shot on Tedesco causing a spill at a vital time 2nd half.
The end part was 100% right...there is a lack of genuine 5/8 with crafty ball skills in the modern game and also strongly agree, though Elliott has added great depth - not a strong centre consideration....

Really good summary....personally have a huge opinion of Schuster and feel only a matter of time, but if the side is winning and Walker improving at 6...no guarantee for 2020, though can see him grabbing a bench spot at some stage, who knows from there ??
though as also mentioned- Croker did grab a bench spot vs Roosters and was very good including a big shot on Tedesco causing a spill at a vital time 2nd half.
The end part was 100% right...there is a lack of genuine 5/8 with crafty ball skills in the modern game and also strongly agree, though Elliott has added great depth - not a strong centre consideration....

Though when he hasn't been subbing for Tom at fullback, Elliot usually has been the first point of call for a replacement centre since last year.

When is a player ready for a shot in first grade? What are the key indicators. Can’t necessarily be size as there are some small players that have excelled. Paul Gallen didn’t get a shot at Parra because they thought he was too small. Thurston couldn’t get a start ahead of Sherwin at the dogs. There is no reserve grade to ply one’s trade. And historically there have been stars who were given shots at a very young age and kicked on. So I keep scratching my head when people say Schuster is not ready. What is that opinion based upon. Curious.

Usually the coaching staff have a good sense or feel when a young player may be ready .Tooves , Foran Tom Turbo , Eadie [ think that Phil Blake was quite young too ] . Schuster should get his opportunity before not too long at Manly .

Though when he hasn't been subbing for Tom at fullback, Elliot usually has been the first point of call for a replacement centre since last year.
And done an admirable job, but Vuna was out injured who just may have got a shot...another untried star was out injured in young Hopoate who will imo be in the starting side at Manly barring injury by 2021,....but on elliott, no dramas when I see him in the lineup, has exceeded what I expected with his ability and done great.

When is a player ready for a shot in first grade? What are the key indicators. Can’t necessarily be size as there are some small players that have excelled. Paul Gallen didn’t get a shot at Parra because they thought he was too small. Thurston couldn’t get a start ahead of Sherwin at the dogs. There is no reserve grade to ply one’s trade. And historically there have been stars who were given shots at a very young age and kicked on. So I keep scratching my head when people say Schuster is not ready. What is that opinion based upon. Curious.
The ONLY thing that will hold back Schuster, is throwing him in at the deep end too early...as you point out physically already a big body and his vision is the closest I have seen to the old school crafty ball playing halves ala Cliffy, Johns and co, yet has the ability to play through the line as well as before as a runner - a special talent....don't think I'm exaggerating his ability up with these other Legends as he has 100 top grades of consistency to earn the same breath...potential only turns into ability when proven. Des and staff will get it right - they always do.

Could parker eventually move to the forwards like luke lewis and chris lawerence have
I was thinking that very thought. He’s six foot three and 100 kg. Good cover defender, and seems tough. Dunno about front on defence, but he’d make a decent back row.

Hate to burst the bubble on the Schuster love-fest that's going on ... but wouldn't you think that if for some reason Walker is moved back to the centres that it would be Crocker and then Cust who get first crack at 5/8? Provided they are fit.

Croker was the one who got the bench spot in the opening two rounds and when Parker went off for a (failed) HIA against the Chooks in Round 2, it was he who came on with Walks moving to centre. And he did look a lot more comfortable playing pivot than he did in the opening round subbing at hooker.

Schuster and probably Cust are probably going to have to rely on injuries or very poor form to play much first grade in 2020 (and even then you have to consider that for a centre spot, Elliot is probably next in line anyway). Its also a bit hard to force your way into the side when you're not even playing.
Fair point, but I think you have to look at Schuster’s potential. He looks to be an absolute superstar in the making which you can’t really say of Croker, Cust etc. All decent players in their own right, but Schuster looks to have something special. Having said that, many have had that potential when going and haven’t carried it through for whatever reason.

Lachlan lewis ;)

Here is something to consider.

Des and co. know a hell of a lot more about it than any of us do.

At the start of last year all the fan talk was about Albert Hopoate. How he was going to be our first choice fullback, how Tom was going to get moved to the centres because of how good this kid is etc etc. Yeah right lol. There was no chance that Des was ever going to move Tom to the centres to accommodate an untried player who had at that stage had not even played a game of NSW Cup, let alone first grade. It all became a moot point anyway when in his second game back from an ACL, Hopoate did the ACL again and his year was done.

Then in the middle of the year suddenly it was all about Cade Cust. Second coming of Bozo and Cliffy, next Immortal. We've got no chance of winning the premiership without him. The crying every time he wasn't picked for first grade (especially from the Manly fans on social media) could have filled the Pacific. The reality was that Cust was only ever an injury replacement, a last resort with Parker and Croker out injured, DCE still recovering from his ankle and Elgey in piss poor form. Once Brad Parker returned to the side, Des did what he wanted which was move Walker to 5/8 and Cust played no more first grade for the year. And its not like we then went backwards. We were a top contender right until we lost key players like Turbo, Thommo and Paseka to injury that our chances dipped, and even then we fought to the last and were only knocked out late after a controversial referee decision.

Now all the talk is about Schuster. A player with potential, but who thanks to the pandemic isn't even playing right now. Yet somehow he is going to leapfrog others including Croker and Cust, come in and play 5/8 in first grade and force Walker to the centres with either Parker or Suli just dropped?

Like I said, Des and co. know a lot more about it than we do. Being honest I really can't see Schuster getting any time in first grade in 2020 unless we have injuries. Croker is obviously next in line to play pivot should there be a need to move Walker to centre (or he's not there at all), then there is Cust, and then probably Schuster. Unless the lower competitions start up, he might not even get a run at all in 2020.

Last edited:
Its a good question because both were far less cemented only 12 months ago. Both were most improved in the comp, let alone manly and both need to maintain the rage

Form isnt always permenant and both are viewed differently by opposition coaches and teams now

They seem most likely and deservedly so, but only 20 matches ago they were fighting for a spot and id assume there only a handful of bad games from feeling the heat again.

It would be nice for parker to be a mainstay at manly being a junior. I reckon he needs a bit of what jason king needed . Just get angry and get them before they get you

Its a good question because both were far less cemented only 12 months ago. Both were most improved in the comp, let alone manly and both need to maintain the rage

Form isnt always permenant and both are viewed differently by opposition coaches and teams now

They seem most likely and deservedly so, but only 20 matches ago they were fighting for a spot and id assume there only a handful of bad games from feeling the heat again.

It would be nice for parker to be a mainstay at manly being a junior. I reckon he needs a bit of what jason king needed . Just get angry and get them before they get you

For mine, Hank Scorpio has improved the most. At the end of 2018 he was labeled "never to play first grade again" by most Manly fans, especially after his piss poor performance on he wing in the last round loss to Brisbane at Suncorp. Then Des comes back as coach and Parker is played where he is most comfortable which is in the centres, and suddenly he's a different player. He's not the fastest player by a long shot, but his attacking game has definitely improved. And personally I thought that last year he became one of the best defensive centres in the NRL. Rarely did his opposing centre ever get around him. His defence reminds me a lot of Jamie Lyon. Tackles a lot around the legs and doesn't let go. I think Brad got a lot of confidence from the fact that Des showed faith in him when everyone else would have had him confined to playing at Blacktown. He proved last year that he's definitely a centre, not a winger.

Suli's improvement was more fitness related and the fact that by the end of last year he was starting to show the potential most had seen in him during his junior days. Suli could be very Mal Meninga like in the centres being bigger and stronger than most with good ball skills and a good turn of pace. The thing he needs to improve is his defence because out on our right neither he nor Garrick are the best defenders.

Agree to a point there Holden. Hasler has a tendency to be conservative in his team selections. More likely to play it safe and bring Schuster in on the bench after a few games.

But in reality, I believe from what I've seen of the three, Schuster is potentially a far more talented player for the five eighth role. I am yet to be impressed by Croker. Had a poor introduction to the 5/8 position a few years back, and though more solid now, he's unlikely to inspire a backline.

Cust is a half and seems to have more natural talent than Croker. But on what I've seen of Schuster and Cust in the juniors, Schuster looked far more effective and dominant.

However as I said, Hasler will probably play it safe and choose Croker first. He wont lose a game for us, but I doubt that he'll win it for us either.

Schuster is the type, that turns a game on its head. A rare quality. The only caveat is whether he is ready for first grade. That is yet to be seen. But Hasler will definitely use him. He needs to see what he is capable of against big boys.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4