Does Burbo cement a Top 17 spot in 2023 ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fifita made an impact in the trial but I don't think he played many minutes. If everyone else is doing their job then that might be all that is needed, but maybe not.
Example, Spencer Leniu regarded as a gun, and proably is, but I think he only averages about 15-20 minutes per game. A lot easier to go hell for leather when you're not churning out the big minutes.

Fifita made an impact in the trial but I don't think he played many minutes. If everyone else is doing their job then that might be all that is needed, but maybe not.
Example, Spencer Leniu regarded as a gun, and proably is, but I think he only averages about 15-20 minutes per game. A lot easier to go hell for leather when you're not churning out the big minutes.
These players that make a 15 to 20 minute Impact are Potent players that have the Dynamics to make an impact

Impact players are Power players blessed with Strength skill or speed
That come onto the field and change the course of the game

Around here players tend to get written off too quickly and hyped too quickly.

There seems to be an insatiable appetite for the next shiny new toy and highlight reel players are valued over anything.

This is never more evident than the discussion and comparisons in this thread around Burbo and Fifita. Many are quick to proclaim Burbo as not as first grade standard and Fifita as a sure thing.

Yet Burbo is younger and has achieved more at this stage.

Now dont take this as me taking sides or proclaiming Burbo is better, my stance is that we have two young forwards at the very start of their career who appear quite talented, but remains to be seen if either can make it.

I'm backing both.

Most forwards take time. Olakau'atu, Paseka, Keppie, none are at their peak yet.

Issaiah Yeo took years and then bang, he was the best lock in the world. Cameron Murray had more reserve grade games (19) than Burbo (7) has had.

Lets let this play out with Burbo, support him and see how it pans out.....my feeling is we may be pleasently suprised. However it is no lay down misere.

On the same token lets please not overhype and expect too much from Fifita just yet based on a bench appearence in a trial. If he gets 6 bench appearences this year and does a job, its doesnt mean he is average and we need to jump to the next Flegg kid with hype, it just means he is developing.

Either of these boys could be a Jake or Olakau'atu just as much as they could be a Tarrant, Demetriou, Moorewood etc
Im never hyping one of those Queensland Q Cup players EVER AGAIN.

Every time I do they crash & burn !!

Ridiculous how many have written the kid off after a few games

Probably the same sort of crew that had Glenn Stewart as too small and only here coz of his brother, he ended up turning out ok
Spot on. Glenn didn't play consistent first grade until he was 23. He spent 5 years playing mainly reserve grade and the odd first-grade game.
Not saying any of these players will be of the same class as Glenn, but people need to remember that some players need time to develop.

Burbo is going to be very important to us. I agree with others that he is still young for an NRL forward, but has the advantage of having played a good handful of NRL games, has a proven combination with Schuster, has pretty decent speed if he gets into clear air and definitely looks stronger. He is progressing well.

I don't expect him to be in the 17 for every game this year, but I do think he will play in plenty and he will do well. We'll all be used to cheering for him by end of year! 2024, that is the year he is in every game in the 17.

Yeah I've yet to see anywhere near enough from Burbo - happy enough to keep him in the squad at the bottom end of the top 30 for a rainy day and let him develop....... but he's yet to show he's anything better than a handy back up yet for mine.

This is really his year to step up - maybe injuries are half an excuse for him in past years but he's gotta show plenty more for mine. There's still time but to me the clock is well and truly ticking.

as @Buugee posted in the signings thread....

Despite being offered a longer deal, Ben opted for the one-year contract to test himself, with Manly's recruitment manager, Scott Fulton, confirming the utility had come to terms with the club.

Stuck behind Haumole Olakau'atu and Kelma Tuilagi for a starting spot, Burbo will fight to retain a bench spot throughout the season, before once again becoming free to talk to rivals on November 1st.

could we see Jake fold Burbo in couple of years' if Ben leaves?!?!?!

Toss up between him and Fifita, haven't seen Fifita play so can't comment but Ben seems to be playing with a bit more vigor so far.

To much competition now for anyone to "cement" a bench spot .....
Hopefully some players that are continually on the bench but only get around 20 minutes or less a week,get a few games in the reggies to build up some fitness and confidence.Because when the top grade inevitably get injuries,those players have built up some longer game time.Last thing BenT needs for his development at the moment is minimal time off the bench,he’s already missed some vital time the last few yrs through injuries and Covid wiping out reserve grade

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6