Does Burbo cement a Top 17 spot in 2023 ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep and then there was Luke who was neither of those things.

I would suggest he was good just not great, and definitely first grade standard. Was a Rookie of the Year in English Super Leargue, played 1991 first grade matches in England and Australia. He was a well regarded first grader but not a star

Remember Ben T is playing for a new contract - his current one finishes this year. He wants to stay at Manly and play footy with his brothers. I think we'll see even more application from him in 2023.

If he continues to develop under this coaching team and with his added bulk and good mobility, could he become a Daniel Gartner type back rower?
Loving his work tbh, usually on short blindside attacks, he's tall and bulked up a bit, this is making him a more effective running forward creating try's for wingers, or the dummy and go yourself plays. Would like to see him named in the main team run on side on Friday. This could really be his year, go Berbo !!

We're yet to see the best of young Burbo. He's had a couple of periods in first grade but injury each time slowed his progress. Having bulked up and toughened his body, hopefully those problems will be behind him. Seagles68 made a worthy comment that he could be a Danny Gartner type. Gartner didn't start to make an impact at Manly until he was 22 ( he also had a favorite family name being related to Russel).

Patience and not expecting too much too early especially in the forwards, I would suggest. Not every good forward is going to be like Samuela Fainu who I think will impress even at 19. Young Fifita, who impresses many has yet to play first grade and is already 22. Zac Fulton is almost exactly the same age as Burbo yet has played only one first grade game. Burbo has played 14 first grade matches and played his initial first grade match when 19. So I suspect he's considered to have something other than the name.

Seagles68 made a worthy comment that he could be a Danny Gartner type. Gartner didn't start to make an impact at Manly until he was 22 ( he also had a favorite family name being related to Russel).
Zac Fulton is almost exactly the same age as Burbo yet has played only one first grade game. Burbo has played 14 first grade matches and played his initial first grade match when 19. So I suspect he's considered to have something other than the name.
Hi Bearfax , Always like reading your perspective and passionate views

We all have our opinions and the players have the final say with their performances on the fieldf and we want all of them to succeed for the sake of our premiership winning chances

The Danny Garnter comparison to Burbo at the same age is over rated IMO
Gartner at 22 cemented his back row spot in a star studded Manly pack that won the premiership
Gatrner also as you say had the speed pedigree of the speed freak Russel Gartner and Speed is that special advantage that Burbo does not have

Zac Fulton's only one game NRL experience is not contributed to his potential but more to Des Hasler hesitance on giving young players a go

As I said before we can all say what we think of Burbo as a Player but Burbo has the last say and we all wish him great success

Last edited:
Really depends what Seibold wants on his bench. I think right now they are all playing for the four bench spots. Starting side picks itself. One will be a utility.. Lawton/Gordy/Weekes.

So three spots. Likely only one bench spot for a second rower. We don't have much punch off the bench so I can see Fifita providing that. Sibley playing this game may not be in the 17 either

Turbo I would prefer to play if he's starting as I can't see him provide much off the bench. He's still relatively young and inexperienced but. I don't see him in front of Fifita and Fainu.. only by name.

We all have our opinions and the players have the final say with their performances on the fieldf and we want all of them to succeed for the sake of our premiership winning chances

Gartner at 22 cemented his back row spot in a star studded Manly pack that won the premiership
Gatrner also as you say had the speed pedigree of the speed freak Russel Gartner and Speed is that special advantage that Burbo does not have

Zac Fulton's only one game NRL experience is not contributed to his potential but more to Des Hasler hesitance on giving young players a go

As I said before we can all say what we think of Burbo as a Player but Burbo has the last say and we all wish him great success
Seemed fast enough in his younger years; has he slowed down since then?

He was as fast as, if not faster than, the players he was playing with and against at the time. He does have speed in him - perhaps some time with a sprint coach (maybe Saab's) to re-discover it again?

He was as fast as, if not faster than, the players he was playing with and against at the time. He does have speed in him - perhaps some time with a sprint coach (maybe Saab's) to re-discover it again?
Hasn ' t had much opportunity to get into the open for a while now as opposed to his junior days , Had that good two try effort against the West Tigers [ ist clash last season ] but close to the line efforts . Played bugger all footy during the more serious covid footy restriction stanza , Even last season , not many games at Black Town when he was not included in the i st grade squad and maybe a couple of injuries . Sure that he can still stride out but has had to modify his game more on the closer direct ruck running and hard slog there in general . Defence had been an issue a while back but has seemed to tighten that up a bit . Certainly a good effort and form level last Friday , if he can improve even slightly on that or just get that consistency , sure will be a bonus all round

Most younger players seem stronger and faster and more dynamic in the junior teams than at NRL level

If Burbo played like he did in that Juniors highlight clip against NRL quality Men in the NRL we would not be having this debate

Most younger players seem stronger and faster and more dynamic in the junior teams than at NRL level

If Burbo played like he did in that Juniors highlight clip against NRL quality Men in the NRL we would not be having this debate

You do realise Bozo that you don't have to come in and throw cold water over burbo after every post that is positive about him ..

Appreciate your points and it is often tricky to compare players , though we often overlook how they developed, and often reminisce about their glory days but forget their development years.

A few points though. Your comment that Danny cemented his spot in a star studded side is indisputable. But it took him two years to get that spot, having played only one game in First grade before securing that role. Granted he was facing a superior side, but it was also a side in development with Kosef, Menzies, Hopoate, Haumona all just kids and a still young Terry Hill as well as Gartner. Some similarities to the developing side we have now. Easy to forget they were good back then but not yet the champions they became.

As far as pedigree goes, Ben has a flyer of a brother at least as quick as Russel Gartner was. And though not super quick its easy to forget much of his junior games were at centre, so he's no slouch for speed. In a sense we've been a little deceived concerning how fast he is because he's suffered a couple of injuries that kept him out of the game, and a couple of times he looked injured on the field. I recall in one earlier match he showed significant pace almost keeping up with his brother Tom and in descriptions about him, his speed is noted. I think we're yet to see him in full flight and remember he was selected in the young Blues training camp. There's more to the kid than the family name I would suggest.

ps. This is an item from the latest ROAR site

Is this the year of the Trbojevic?​

No, not that one. Or that one. The other one? Yeah, him. Ben Trbojevic got ten NRL games last year, in addition to four the year before, and now looks set to lock in a full-time spot under Anthony Seibold.

There’s the standard stuff you say about guys like him when they reappear at the age of 21: he’s grown into himself. Always a bigger frame, he’s now stacked on a bit of timber to go with it. Got his man strength, as they say in the world of boxing.

That’s one thing, but the more important is that he now looks like he belongs. It must be hard being the third brother to play NRL when the two that have gone before are walk up starters for New South Wales and Australia.

There’s expectations, but also none: how can you be as good as them, after all? Burbo has gone a little bit like that so far, but without the shadow of those two and surrounded by blokes his own age, you can see how far advanced he is.

“It’s nights like these that you can really force your way into an NRL side when you make a statement like Ben Trbojevic has,” said Mick Ennis. “He’s been terrific tonight. (He has) has clearly added some muscle over the summer, he’s been physical, he’s been aggressive and been a handful in the second row tonight.”

The leadership and influence he showed was befitting a first grader playing among juniors. If he can bring that every week in the NRL, Manly are onto a winner.

The bloodlines didn’t stop with the Trbojevic’s either: Zac Fulton’s try off a Cooper Johns pass brought together two of the most storied names in the sport. It was the best Fulton-Johns combination since the 1995 World Cup final.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7