Didn't want to leave, loved it at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I actually think even Woods can’t understand why in the hell manly have signed him

Is he unable to crack a team going like busteds or is he injured ?
Either way, there's just no way Woods is making first grade at Manly unless we have a massive injury crisis.
The only reason I can come up with is financial. We needed money to avoid losing Ola and others. Which I'm more than happy to accept.

I think its more implying he is definitely happy at manly, loves the area and playing group. Doesn't really want to move away from his comfort zone -BUT there is an opportunity for a pay rise and NRL spot so he is taking the offer, even though he is reluctant to leave the area and his mates.
If he didn't want to go, would not ask for a release. Manly originally declined until they were able to get Woods for free as part of a swap deal.

Manly will now use the freed up funds to upgrade Haumole Ola'kauatu as mentioned by Flanagan and promote Gordon into the top 30

A shame as he could possibly turn out like another Haumole. Bends the line and carries defenders. A much better prospect than Ben Turbo, Keppie, Sipley, Boyle etc

I think its more implying he is definitely happy at manly, loves the area and playing group. Doesn't really want to move away from his comfort zone -BUT there is an opportunity for a pay rise and NRL spot so he is taking the offer, even though he is reluctant to leave the area and his mates.
If he didn't want to go, would not ask for a release. Manly originally declined until they were able to get Woods for free as part of a swap deal.

Manly will now use the freed up funds to upgrade Haumole Ola'kauatu as mentioned by Flanagan and promote Gordon into the top 30

A shame as he could possibly turn out like another Haumole. Bends the line and carries defenders. A much better prospect than Ben Turbo, Keppie, Sipley, Boyle etc
Samual Fainu has similar strong points like Fifita and a bit more versatile in the pack . Hope that he can be retained , would be a real setback to lose him as well as these promising two , even if they have not play regular i st grade yet

Illawarra are a mess....
I know for a fact managers can shift players about making arrangements, without consent....as part of the manager's duty is to get the "Best deal", though ultimately the players need to sign off and often do after getting bad advice..
I know based on fact the ''Best deal" is often not to take the extra big $$$ to sign at a club you don't to play for - this is often short term thinking that many managers see as a personal win, than for the player and I know a few of them.
Personally have a best mate who managers with far more credability and looks after the games most prized players, but does things with players consent, not his own, so not "all" managers are bad.

The long term plan is what's most important.....remembering once the game finished the decisions made during the career, will effect the $$$ eared later.
Well here's the thing as an example.....Steve Menzies who took far less to stay a 1 club legend, was offered "Far more" money to a few other clubs including those Slimey Eels and his loyalty helped him do 4 things -

Loyalty so rare, was respected and loved by Manly players and fans and even other fans.
Let him stay and play where he loved.
Got him a far better pay day post footy as that 1 club Champion footy player in the media world.
The Manly footy club will always have a role for Menzies for his lifetime.

Unless it's the Rooster's, that's where you go play for unders and sacrifice half your salary, as Bondi has a great sandwich shop and I hear the golf is pretty good too.

Nailed it in your first paragraph. There would be a heap of players in professional sports that are/were happy with their club but had to move for another opportunity or financial reasons.

I actually think even Woods can’t understand why in the hell manly have signed him
No doubt he’s happy to be joining Manly though. His favourite team growing up, and apparently a much happier place at the moment, than the Illawarra Credit Union.

Yep, "too good to refuse" financially. Lots (not all) young players have devoted so much of their time to developing sportwise and realistically sporting success may be their best chance at making good money. Many haven't come from backgrounds that make it easier to excel academically. Add to this the fact (as I've heard in many interviews with players and elsewhere) that for Polynesian players family is central to everything they do, so a chance for one family member to lift the whole family to a more comfortable level would be incredibly hard to resist.

I saw the Netflix doco on Manti Te'o, an NFL player of Samoan ancestry, in which it was mentioned that for his culture absolutely everything revolved around "faith family and football". Made me think of our NRL players and how many would have similar culture and expectations.
In this instance, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Manly can only free up space if the player is wanted by other clubs.

If the player can’t get a crack in first grade, his manger is doing his job if he seeks a club that will promote him.

The mangers don’t even know if the player will end up playing first grade, but they have to take that chance.

In my opinion Tarek is doing his job. He’s looking out for what he thinks is best for his player, not what the players emotions are telling him.

“We’ve got the same manager and (Tartak) let me know that (Fifita) was looking to come here and from what my manager said, (Fifita) didn’t want to come, he loved it over there at Manly,” Suli said.

What? Huh?
I read it. Re-read it. Took the reading glasses off and gave them a clean. Still nothing.
thanks @ricardo .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6