Dessie as coach.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
[quote author=Daniel]
I cant believe I am giving away these \"secrets\" blame sally!
Not back on the horse already are you cowboy ?

Thought you might play the field for awhile. ;)
[/quote]

not on the horse in a relationship way no. Just met a UC cop on saturday night. her dad is a big sea eagles supporter so its worth a shot.

And I have been playing the field ;)

Byso do you want my help. I have no problems with getting in a debate with Pete and Matas. matas technique is different to that you have described, he uses Purposeful Diversion whereas pete gets stuck on the wrong point. Think like they do mate, go in thinking you are write, even if you know you are wrong, then you can always pull facts out of where you need to or take one liners.

The bottom line is this. You have taken a defensive stanse, now, simply because you were being attacked. Switch your thinking and go on the offensive and you should be able to win this one.....

*waits*

I wouldnt take everything Dan says as gospel, there are a few things that certainly may not be write :stupid:

Ive been away for the last 2 weeks, went skiing and then moved house when I returned. Ive worked 2 of the last 7 weeks :)

Yeah I saw it Fluff, just didnt want my first post back to be a negative one, I'll leave that to Ryan and Byso ;)

But dont get me started on his use of capitals, purposeful and diversion are NOT proper nouns 8)

As a much quoted poster boy, I'm still not sure of the abilities of Hasler. As I said, I'm surpried by us running third, but won't be if we're running sixth or seventh after next weekend (hopefully not). Also throughout the season I've written that our on-line defense is fragile and I think that can be argued and that our attack in the twenty is directionless, which I think can also be argued. We have won some notable victories but realistically by the proverbial skin of our teeth. There are defensive lapses and poor options taken by leading players. Lateral running and poorly executed kicking is a continuing problem. Relying on the dominance of BK just might work for us this year but to expect the same from Lyon might be a bigger ask in 07. Having said all that, these issues are a coaches to fix. Has Hasler done the job. Not really if my anxiety has not decreased by continuing to see all the above problems manifest themselves in each game. Hope this helps.

As well, team positional problems are there. Robinson as fullback was one that springs to mind. In my humble opinion we lost to Parra because of the stupidity of that decision. A coaches prerogative? Who'se to blame?

I agree that there are many places that Des could improve, He appears to have set some limits on how much he can achieve and concerntrated on certain areas whilst not paying much attention to others. Hence why i want to see the finals campaign, give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he has concerntrated in this area particularly.

You see Corso has failed to see that some of my comments where tongue in cheek and I do feel that Dessie has done a good job so far in 2006.

But I will stand by my comments that Dessie was ordinary in 2005.

Ahh, so now I know that some of your posts were actually tongue in cheek and carried no substance. If I may be so inquisitive and ask you to point those particular posts out so that I may differentiate between those which have credibility and can be discussed and those which have no credibility as they are tongue in cheek.

If only you had said that twenty posts ago you could have saved an afternoon on the merry go round.

we are light years better than last year.it is not whether we run 3rd or 6th.we have won 3 more games and have competed in ALMOST EVERY SINGLE GAME this year.some of our losses in the last 2 years were simply EMBARRASSING.

the answers are simple

-we have a regular set of halves who can really play and get us home in the crunch instead of a hooker and a second rower playing out of position.

-a great leader who is also the captain this year -hence the guts and determination on the field the lack of illdiscipline and turmoil off the field.

-and a coach who is learning his craft very well.to expect him to have been an instant success was ridiculous.

bottom line is Byso has never forgiven Hasler for his "over achieved" comment. Simple fact of the matter is, in 2005, we made the finals with one of the worst number 7s in the comp and one of the softest no.9s and NO number 6.

Here's one thing I can assure you of Byso - had you observed the relationship between Hasler and the key stakeholders in the club in the dressing sheds following the Penrith game you would be in no doubt that Hasler is ROCK SOLID in his current tenure.

The only criticism of him at the moment is a reticense to blood young players.

oH.. Well it's far more than the "over achieved" comment, that annoyed me about 2005. So I dont repeat myself, you can read through this thread to find many other reasons why I wasn't happy with his 2005 performance.

"we made the finals with one of the worst number 7s in the comp and one of the softest no.9s and NO number 6."
The team was also 2nd halfway through the season with these same players. So I wont by that. My issue was that something happened with the attitudes of players etc and the coach should have something to answer to for not keeping them focused. (including during Monasgate)

And I agree that he would be ROCK SOLID as head coach for years to come.

\"we made the finals with one of the worst number 7s in the comp and one of the softest no.9s and NO number 6.\"
The team was also 2nd halfway through the season with these same players. So I wont by that. My issue was that something happened with the attitudes of players etc and the coach should have something to answer to for not keeping them focused. (including during Monasgate)

Blind Freddy can see that we flew under the radar of most teams for the first half of last season. We were widely tipped for the wooden spoon and teams did not take us seriously in the early part of the year - much like Canberra this year.

Eventually it became clear that all you had to do was:

1. Rush up on Monaghan and crowd him because he is easily flustered and we didn't have a second attacking option.

2. Mark up on the blind side when Randall was at hooker.

3. Run at Randall, Hill, King, Stephenson for a soft try.

Then we had our players in key positions in fierce battles with front office - Monaghan and Randall. Their heads were not screwed on for football - Monaghan has even admitted this.

So Mr Einstein, what would you have done in this situation?

Some valid points ......but!

We did have witt during the Winning run which offered something as a second option, but then Dezzie sacked him after 1 or 2 bad games, Dessie even placed "handbags" as 5/8 in one game.....please!

King was playing injured while the crowd favourite Hecks played PL for weeks.

Yep, team selections have been a puzzle over the last two seasons. Defense and attack have been problematic as well. Both issues the coaches. Go figure.

Some people here are totally ignorant as to the role of the coach. It is not like the under 8s that you turn up at training, run a few laps, play a bit of touch, hit a tackle bag, do 15 mins of ball work and then rely on a motivational gimmick before each game to get the players up.

Anyone who has played sport at a decent level will know about skill development, balanced fitness training, development of a style and pattern of play, injury management, analysis of the opposition, team evaluation, drawing up of comprehensive match plans, tactical analysis, recruitment, team morale, player and squad development plus working with the team, both as individuals and as a group. Statistically we are better.

Most interestingly I can tell you for a fact that the players rate Des as a good coach. Sue is right that you also develop and grow as you go and certainly that is the case as well with our mentor and leader.

Many coaches are good at aspects of their job but fall down in other areas. Not many would be the whole package. Why are Canberra so keen to get rid of John Lang? Why do the Roosters dump Ricky if he is so hot?

At my work, the general punter thinks Dessie is a great coach. They rate him as he is a dogged, determined, hard working, no frills and no short cuts sort of guy that they claim coaches the same way he played. He was never say die, gutsy, always gave 100% and he has moulded a team that is starting to play like he did.

He took over the Eagles when we were a shambles, we have improved each year with lots of skills work, some useful recruitment and a developing pattern of play. The players we have let go have done nothing elsewhere, some of the young players are starting to get better and the dressing room shots indicated that the place is pretty happy and up tempo.

Anyone who makes instant judges on coaches has no idea what it really takes to be a coach and win the comp. Even in the mid 90s with Bozo and the possibly one of the best teams ever in League History, we were only able to win 1 comp. Ini the end you need luck, class and everything going your way with injuries, health, bounce of the ball, refs etc.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6