Des's next job

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What job will Des land next?

• He will manage another NRL team (which one?)

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • He will go into commentary

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • He will go to Super League

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He will become an assistant somewhere

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He will become a school teacher again

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • He will become a 'consultant'

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • He will retire

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • He won't get a job

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
Keen to hear people's opinion on the way forward for Des.

There has been a lot of passion and opinions laid bare here over the last few weeks.... mainly about the treatment of Des by Penn (I won't re-open old wounds with my opinion)

But if we step away from the Penn v Des debate - and instead look at it purely from coaching ability, desirability, skills, performance etc. What job will Des land next in your opinion?

For me - I can see him taking a spell in Super League. I honestly don't think another NRL club will be in for him... but let's see what the popular opinion is!

Knights Coach is my pick. He suits a one team town and the knights tend to overlook past discretions (including seibs)

The commentator one was a cracker! :giggle:

And De$ is too stingy to retire

Knights Coach is my pick. He suits a one team town and the knights tend to overlook past discretions (including seibs)

The commentator one was a cracker! :giggle:

And De$ is too stingy to retire
I confess I did throw the commentary one in for a gag

But having said that.... Our 'potential' new coaches/assistants are both coming from commentary.... and it seems to be where the money is. I thought De$ might go for the bucks!

I confess I did throw the commentary one in for a gag

But having said that.... Our 'potential' new coaches/assistants are both coming from commentary.... and it seems to be where the money is. I thought De$ might go for the bucks!

I appreciated that one, thank you @Harmless27 :praying:

And yes De$ would chase the money however, he’s never shown the stakeholders and media executives his charisma. Former teacher, premiership player and coach. But playing Lurch on the microphone could bite those chances

Keen to hear people's opinion on the way forward for Des.

There has been a lot of passion and opinions laid bare here over the last few weeks.... mainly about the treatment of Des by Penn (I won't re-open old wounds with my opinion)

But if we step away from the Penn v Des debate - and instead look at it purely from coaching ability, desirability, skills, performance etc. What job will Des land next in your opinion?

For me - I can see him taking a spell in Super League. I honestly don't think another NRL club will be in for him... but let's see what the popular opinion is!
By manage, do you mean coach?

When Des first started coaching Manly, he always said he didn't want to be a career coach. The money he made may have changed that, however. But really, his last three gigs (two of them with us, unfortunately) have ended with so much acrimony that it's hard to see any other club walking into that willingly. Then again, it's rugby league, where stupidity has always ruled. Trent Barrett has a gig with the Eels and Anthony Seibold may well be teaming up with Shane Flanagan for a Manly coaching "Dream Team". Anything can happen.

Sign with a new club as coach. Get the new team up for a year or two before the back-ended contracts and refusal to make changes/blood young players catches up to him. Get sacked a year early and sue the club. Rinse and repeat
Yep , and eventually clubs will learn !!

When Des first started coaching Manly, he always said he didn't want to be a career coach. The money he made may have changed that, however. But really, his last three gigs (two of them with us, unfortunately) have ended with so much acrimony that it's hard to see any other club walking into that willingly. Then again, it's rugby league, where stupidity has always ruled. Trent Barrett has a gig with the Eels and Anthony Seibold may well be teaming up with Shane Flanagan for a Manly coaching "Dream Team". Anything can happen.
Anything !!

Des great career peaked at Manly and since then he has been declining

His Manly chapter is closed

Good luck to him where ever he goes

Des will follow Foran to the titans. Then the manly poaching will begin, they might even get dce to backflip.
An interesting thought. I wonder if he would go to the Titans..... and if he does, will he break the bank to take some of our 'top talent.
Its hard to know if he will be willing to be the same (or more) in order to tempt them away....

last time he did that - he tore apart a premiership winning side.

I guess we should be happy we didn't win a premiership this time around!

I reckon good luck to Des, but not as convinced there will be teams lining up for him based on the style of footy Manly played in 2022.
He is a good personal style coach and if not worrying about "everything", as will likely have more a part role, could help him find himself again and bring out the best in both himself and wherever he ends up with Illawarra my tip.
Good luck to him, but only concerned about who is at Manly in 2023 and beyond.

I see Des ending up at the tigers, ironically this where he ended his NRL career from memory.
Sheens best days are long behind him as a coach and Benj is too inexperienced and the tigers need all the help they can get.. if not the tigers it will the Dragons.
Can’t see him leaving Sydney unless he has too.

I see Des ending up at the tigers, ironically this where he ended his NRL career from memory.
Sheens best days are long behind him as a coach and Benj is too inexperienced and the tigers need all the help they can get.. if not the tigers it will the Dragons.
Can’t see him leaving Sydney unless he has too.
He’ll go wherever the $$$$$$$ are highest, for De$ it is ALL about the money!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4