Des Hasler contract extension (2020)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Pessimistic? Probably, after seeing how far behind our standards in the second half of the season were compared to the top four sides. I'm not sure it's purely the players' fault. Our coaching staff must wear some of the blame for our stilted attack and brittle defence.
Many on here have given DESpicable a charmed run because he was a great Manly player and a successful coach in his first stint. He deserves some slack, although the way he stitched us up to move to Canterbury in 2012 probably cancels this out.
I don't see the on-field performances of his team any better than that of Twenty.
Both coaches had reasonably good opening seasons with the promise of improvement, yet both bombed in their second season. Almost universally this Forum blamed Twenty for the implosion, with the players escaping criticism. Yet our DESpicable-coached 2020 team was equally shambolic in the later matches. And that my feathered friends (to borrow a BOZOism) is why a few of us here are not as optimistic about our future as others.
Too right BUT on the flipside, a Hasler coached team has never missed the finals 2 years in a row (2004 rookie yr post-beagles mess; 2017 last yr at the dogs; and 2020 covid/mid yr rule change/massive injury crisis/final yr of cap punishment)... That's a great %. In fact, over 16 seasons not many ppl have done these numbers or even kept a first grade gig long enough.

Surely with AFB's $800k and Thommo's $? we will see at least one or two major signings ... surely

But posters in another thread counting the number of players already in our top 30 have me concerned ..

I stick by my belief that we already have a top 6 roster ... but a couple of very good additions are needed to get us into a solid and consistent top 4 for mine ...
I think we have space for a like-for-like contract for
Thommo (Garner) &
AFB (Sitili* fingers crossed)

Foz salary will be outside of cap due to nrl comp for Fainu's stand-down,

Davey on Waddells salary,

Saab either for Garrick or transfer fee (space from Levi, Elliott, Trex, Metcalf - left over for Schneider)

Turbos upgrades from increased cap now sanctions have been lifted...

This should be ball-park... but 1st Nov will be interesting as the club may be looking to 2022 instead (on our side, guys like Walker will be off contract too- could be massive movements)

I think we have space for a like-for-like contract for
Thommo (Garner) &
AFB (Sitili* fingers crossed)

Foz salary will be outside of cap due to nrl comp for Fainu's stand-down,

Davey on Waddells salary,

Saab either for Garrick or transfer fee (space from Levi, Elliott, Trex, Croker - left over for Schneider)

Turbos upgrades from increased cap now sanctions have been lifted...

This should be ball-park... but 1st Nov will be interesting as the club may be looking to 2022 instead (on our side, guys like Walker will be off contract too- could be massive movements)

I strarted another thread " 4 spots to fill .." where others are posting .. a bit more detail there ... some have reminded me of upgrades .. bugger! .. post your thoughts there .. cheers

• 👍
Reactions: bSw
I am so glad that the club dealt with the AFB situation the way they did. Not worth the fight and media beat up with characters like AFB. He left in probably a less ugly fashion than he deserved but we also got saved the negative press and player uncertainty.

Yep agreed.

It was all done with very little fuss.

You really must think Gold Coast are stupid, was it a 4 year extension they gave out??...
There are some exceptions like the Titans case. Holbrook has won premierships in England as a coach, has presented himself as a wise and respectable operator in his first nrl season as coach. He has got it. As for Seibold at Souths that was too early given he had not proven anything and didn't have as much experience to call back on. I think that a 4 year extension in 9/10 cases is a stupid idea. Especially with aging coaches (Wayne Bennett, Des Hasler) and coaches just starting out (Seibold, T. Barrett)

Surely with AFB's $800k and Thommo's $? we will see at least one or two major signings ... surely

But posters in another thread counting the number of players already in our top 30 have me concerned ..

I stick by my belief that we already have a top 6 roster ... but a couple of very good additions are needed to get us into a solid and consistent top 4 for mine ...
A few upgrades take a bit of coin, Tent, Schuster, Ben T so far.

Some players off contract in 2021 wanting a few more dollars like Walker, Sirro, Funa, JetSki.

We definitely have a good squad, the implementation of the 17 needs to be different then 2020, particularly the bench for me. A mix of experience and youthful enthusiasm, players that can change a game not just hold the play.

Need a number 9 and a damaging runner on the edges, Angus Crichton would be handy but his price is very high.

Does the reported $100,000 the club is receiving as a 'transfer fee' from the Worriers for AFB count in the salary cap?
Does this mean that AFB is costing the Worriers $950,000 for next season?

Does the reported $100,000 the club is receiving as a 'transfer fee' from the Worriers for AFB count in the salary cap?
Does this mean that AFB is costing the Worriers $950,000 for next season?
Comes off their coaching cap I believe

The great Dez Hasler has been directly involved in four Manly premierships. The great Bob Fulton in five. Not a lot of difference. The great Des Hasler went to the Bulldogs for a while before returning to the nest. The great Bob Fulton signed with Easts before doing the same. Both are Manly legends who know more about winning footy competitions than anyone on here.

Bob Fulton 5 premierships.
Des Hasler 4 Premierships.
I'm backing Des to become the greatest premiership winner in Manly's history.

I hope so . All I care is a bout Manly winning and being a dominant force once again

The great Dez Hasler has been directly involved in four Manly premierships. The great Bob Fulton in five. Not a lot of difference. The great Des Hasler went to the Bulldogs for a while before returning to the nest. The great Bob Fulton signed with Easts before doing the same. Both are Manly legends who know more about winning footy competitions than anyone on here.

Bob Fulton 5 premierships.
Des Hasler 4 Premierships.
I'm backing Des to become the greatest premiership winner in Manly's history.
One notable difference is that Bob Fulton is an Incomparable Immortal
Before the Incomparable there were no Manly premierships and the Incomparable Immortal laid the foundations and raised the standards for others to follow
We owe it all to our one and only Incomparable Immortal and greatest of all time

news_20170308.jpg

Des needs to change the approach, this year was terrible after the six agains were introduced and exposed a dangerous lack of adaptibility. We kept doing the same things wrong because we were executing game plans built around players that weren't there, and it also exposed how bad the negotiating on the Trbojevics were that we're paying two million a year for one and a half players a season who seemingly never considered leaving.

Whenever DCE doesnt deliver to his paycheck (often) we are just rudderless

I am hoping we do some serious review over the off season, 2019 under Des was a shot in the arm after the club was in seriously dire straights but if we don't shape up that's where we'll be back at

Last edited:
Good stuff De$, you have brought us to the levels of Barrett despite having everything you asked for, please continue our downwards trend as surely the Broncos and Bulldogs can't go as bad next year so we might win some woodenware

Des's legs don't look too good in this photo. Is it varicose veins or the aftermath of his hip replacement surgery?
Des.jpg

Not much could be done about the turbos contract.. we either a, sign them to huge contracts and have to work a team around them, or b, lose them..
Both results in mass whinging.. I get frustrated with Tommy's constant injuries, but I'm sure he will have a handful of injury free years and I'm pretty sure we All want them to be playing for manly, not against us.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4