Des Hasler contract extension (2020)

Knowing manly though, this just would have been total drama for the 2nd half of the 2021 season. I'm glad the drama has been nipped in the bud.

Yes but then I remembered Barrett extended after year 2 of a 3-year deal, and it didn't prevent an implosion in 2018.

I just hope we have a good season with minimal injuries where we actually look like a team that can go deep into the finals.

Have not been impressed with Des of late especially in his pressers. Was not conveying confidence that's for sure. I hope next year will at least be an improvement on this year. Seems to me our club has been a refuge to lay weary heads because of stupid decisions off and on field. Apart from the first handful of games at the beginning of the year we have been ordinary at best. I hope things change. I hope its not another 2 years of the same bull t because without doubt that's what its been. I am still pissed at our club because i can't believe we have taken this long to get our heads out of our asses, that's if we have. Remains to be seen. At the moment as a Manly fan, sorry to say we are a dead set worry.

Have not been impressed with Des of late especially in his pressers. Was not conveying confidence that's for sure. I hope next year will at least be an improvement on this year. Seems to me our club has been a refuge to lay weary heads because of stupid decisions off and on field. Apart from the first handful of games at the beginning of the year we have been ordinary at best. I hope things change. I hope its not another 2 years of the same bull t because without doubt that's what its been. I am still pissed at our club because i can't believe we have taken this long to get our heads out of our asses, that's if we have. Remains to be seen. At the moment as a Manly fan, sorry to say we are a dead set worry.
The standards at all levels have to be raised that's for sure

Gotta say I’ve suspected there has been a problem within the playing group and I hope the problems are moved on. I do hope Des shows more enthusiasm during training than he does post match pressers.

Look how Robinson sacked a rookie and made him a scapegoat for roosters not winning the comp, or sacking the club captain to bring in mercenary SBW in 2013... if winning all the time means having a soulless club to support, then I am more than happy with a hard-fought premiership once a decade that actually means something. Most of the current coaches are either incompetent or ruthless pricks (notable exceptions in Bennett and Bellamy)... Always proud as punch knowing Des Hasler is in charge at Manly. Great news (despite the whining here - all the greats have down seasons), this will give him time to really bring through the next generation with the high standards that he has always been known for

So far, that's Keppie, Cust, Miski, Fainu (likely not even playing ) and Hasler extended, signed Davey (29 next year) and Foran (31 next year).

We've released AFB (top 3-4 props in the entire league, with no player swap), and Joel Thompson (one year option). Let Luke Metcalf, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Brendan Elliott, Morgan Boyle and probably Albert Hopoate go.

We've pissed off the Hopoate, Schuster and Guaca (I say Guaca because of Des limited game time versus how much impact / game time he got) camps.

We are unable to finalise a Jason Saab deal (long way off the Bob Fulton / Ken Arthurson days!)

Stephen Humphreys said announcements would be made when they can (and this would re-establish confidence in the club's strength), but if Davey (near league minimum), Foran (very low contract), Saab (marginal player) are the ins versus outs, we need to seriously rethink / retool a whole lot.

We came 13th, and we're heading south the longer the season went. There was no improvement.

Give us something to be positive about Manly. Please.

Last edited:
We lack the planning and development of Melbourne. You do not develop players sitting them on the side lines that is real old school mentality. Time for a change of thinking.

So far, that's Keppie, Cust, Miski, Fainu (likely not even playing ) and Hasler extended, signed Davey (29 next year) and Foran (31 next year).

We've released AFB (top 3-4 props in the entire league, with no player swap), and Joel Thompson (one year option). Let Luke Metcalf, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Brendan Elliott, Morgan Boyle and probably Albert Hopoate go.

We've pissed off the Hopoate, Schuster and Guaca (I say Guaca because of Des limited game time versus how much impact / game time he got) camps.

We are unable to finalise a Jason Saab deal (long way off the Bob Fulton / Ken Arthurson days!)

Stephen Humphreys said announcements would be made when they can (and this would re-establish confidence in the club's strength), but if Davey (near league minimum), Foran (very low contract), Saab (marginal player) are the ins versus outs, we need to seriously rethink / retool a whole lot.

We came 13th, and we're heading south the longer the season went. There was no improvement.

Give us something to be positive about Manly. Please.

Two weeks ago you were the most optimistic person on this site, now it's all doom and gloom...

What happened?

Two weeks ago you were the most optimistic person on this site, now it's all doom and gloom...

What happened?

It's a bit of both really, and it's perfectly acceptable to feel that way.

There's a lot of if's and but's in my optimism (does Fainu play?), (do we sign Saab), (do we retain Hopoate), (do we remain injury free), (does Schuster get a start at 6), (do we "appropriately" replace AFB - not just say Paseka is the replacement, he was already here !!), (do we improve depth).

Guys like Tom Trbojevic, Jason Saab, Dylan Walker, Moses Suli, Albert Hopoate, Josh Schuster and DCE need to be in our backline. Guys like Taufua, Funa, Parker, Cust, Croker, Garrick are quality depth, but aren't full time fixtures (talent and skillset wise) at present.

On the flipside, we certainly need to get better. I'm yet to see any of these signings that would bring confidence back to our clubs strength "as promised", which is frustrating (including coaching staff). Does Des stick with the same core group including Taufua, Garrick, Funa and others who won 30% of their games this season? I get it's about patience, but given the season we just experienced, that's quite thin atm.

Therefore, like a lot of people, I think there is bound to be a little bit in box A, a little bit in box B.

Pessimistic? Probably, after seeing how far behind our standards in the second half of the season were compared to the top four sides. I'm not sure it's purely the players' fault. Our coaching staff must wear some of the blame for our stilted attack and brittle defence.
Many on here have given DESpicable a charmed run because he was a great Manly player and a successful coach in his first stint. He deserves some slack, although the way he stitched us up to move to Canterbury in 2012 probably cancels this out.
I don't see the on-field performances of his team any better than that of Twenty.
Both coaches had reasonably good opening seasons with the promise of improvement, yet both bombed in their second season. Almost universally this Forum blamed Twenty for the implosion, with the players escaping criticism. Yet our DESpicable-coached 2020 team was equally shambolic in the later matches. And that my feathered friends (to borrow a BOZOism) is why a few of us here are not as optimistic about our future as others.

It's a bit of both really, and it's perfectly acceptable to feel that way.

There's a lot of if's and but's in my optimism (does Fainu play?), (do we sign Saab), (do we retain Hopoate), (do we remain injury free), (does Schuster get a start at 6), (do we "appropriately" replace AFB - not just say Paseka is the replacement, he was already here !!), (do we improve depth).

Guys like Tom Trbojevic, Jason Saab, Dylan Walker, Moses Suli, Albert Hopoate, Josh Schuster and DCE need to be in our backline. Guys like Taufua, Funa, Parker, Cust, Croker, Garrick are quality depth, but aren't full time fixtures (talent and skillset wise) at present.

On the flipside, we certainly need to get better. I'm yet to see any of these signings that would bring confidence back to our clubs strength "as promised", which is frustrating (including coaching staff). Does Des stick with the same core group including Taufua, Garrick, Funa and others who won 30% of their games this season? I get it's about patience, but given the season we just experienced, that's quite thin atm.

Therefore, like a lot of people, I think there is bound to be a little bit in box A, a little bit in box B.

Surely with AFB's $800k and Thommo's $? we will see at least one or two major signings ... surely

But posters in another thread counting the number of players already in our top 30 have me concerned ..

I stick by my belief that we already have a top 6 roster ... but a couple of very good additions are needed to get us into a solid and consistent top 4 for mine ...

Pessimistic? Probably, after seeing how far behind our standards in the second half of the season were compared to the top four sides. I'm not sure it's purely the players' fault. Our coaching staff must wear some of the blame for our stilted attack and brittle defence.
Many on here have given DESpicable a charmed run because he was a great Manly player and a successful coach in his first stint. He deserves some slack, although the way he stitched us up to move to Canterbury in 2012 probably cancels this out.
I don't see the on-field performances of his team any better than that of Twenty.
Both coaches had reasonably good opening seasons with the promise of improvement, yet both bombed in their second season. Almost universally this Forum blamed Twenty for the implosion, with the players escaping criticism. Yet our DESpicable-coached 2020 team was equally shambolic in the later matches. And that my feathered friends (to borrow a BOZOism) is why a few of us here are not as optimistic about our future as others.
Incorrect! Barett failed dismally in his first and third seasons. We scraped into the finals in his second season and lost in week one. That was with a fit Turbo and really decent luck on the injury front. He also had Bozo looking over his shoulder.

Des had a horrible injury toll last season and virtually no Turbo for most of it. We won our first final against the Sharks and were robbed by the bunker in our second against the Bunnies-without our superstar fullback. There was also a slew of other high profile injuries.

This year was an absolute write off injury wise. In fact, I cannot recall another season like it. Then there was the whole Covid thing, a sudden change in the rules which didn't suit our massive forward pack, and no second grade competition.

Only an authentic, ridgey didge numbnut would consider Barrett's three year tenure to be on par with the past two seasons under Des.

Last edited:
No FAINU, Walker, Suli, Turbo in the second half of the season. Injuries throughout to Thompson, AFB (suspended as well) Marty, Sironen, Garrick, Parker, Jorge, Elliot, Gojetski, Paseka, CUST, etc. No NSW Cup for players to get first grade ready. Our massive forward pack who trained all off season for a power game exposed by a sudden rule change.

Pessimistic alright!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2