"Defence" - What defence ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I remember in 2010, manly limped into the 8, and got belted first week by dragons. Immediately, des and donny modified their conditioning program, and the boys came out fitter and lighter in 2011. We definitely need a similar change
I remember that year, we would physically bash teams for a big chunk of the game yet ended up losing some of those games. The subtle change for 2011 seemed to work a treat!

• 👍
Reactions: bSw
Hey Woodsie my good man...
Structures appear to predictably be up and in, regardless of the situation and against a team who can switch or plays with depth like Rabbits...will lead to big scores.
The individual side is really important, as it leads into your point 5....the contacts are pretty soft allowing the opposition attack to offload and bend the line at will and create those numbers - 4 on 2 ect, where our outside backs already under pressure are missing many 1 on 1 tackles....but truth be known, it starts in the middle and we are losing the collisions and allowing the quick plays, which open up the numbers out wide.
The modern game has 100% opened up the deficiencies Manly have with in relation to confidence and attitude well off....the best teams who compete hard in the finals will actually defend their mistakes, penalties or copping a bad call, whereas the mentally weaker teams will be punished in the modern game and the flood gates will open.

Just as an aside ... I remember that back during the Dark ages of the Northern Eagles, Nik Kosef came down to help out with a side I was coaching, we discussed defence a far bit, and he was telling me that one of the issues was that Peter Sharp had 3 or 4 different defensive structures depending on which part of the field they were in ... eg our own 20m or 40m out etc.

Sounded good and smart .. until Nik said that it usually resulted in confusion and one or more blokes not switching quickly enough ... and playing to a different script to the bloke along side him ... I think the message is keep it simple ... because most footballers are ...

Last edited:
Just as an aside ... I remember that back during the Dark ages of the Northern Eagles, Nik Kosef came down to help out with a side I was coaching, we discussed defence a far bit, and he was telling me that one of the issues was that Peter Sharp had 3 or 4 different defensive structures depending on which part of the field they were in ... eg our own 20m or 40m out etc.

Sounded good and smart .. until Nik said that it usually resulted in confusion and one or more blokes not switching quickly enough ... and playing to a different script to the bloke along side him ... I think the message is keep it simple ... because most footballers are ...
I reckon 2-3 structures depending on the players you have, and the team you are playing. Obviously line speed is the single most important factor. With great line speed (attitude and fitness) any structure will do fine. Having said that, imo we need to work on a quick up and slide for now

I reckon 2-3 structures depending on the players you have, and the team you are playing. Obviously line speed is the single most important factor. With great line speed (attitude and fitness) any structure will do fine. Having said that, imo we need to work on a quick up and slide for now
This....with a little more "Bang" in the contacts, should legally allow us to control the ruck speed tempo and in doing so, keep the opposition scores down and build belief, not drop heads.

If you break down were Manly conceed's most of its tries is a one on miss or bad read between centre and winger and trying to defuse 5th tackle kicks.

Yesterday the tries were pretty soft. Parker's attempt was very poor, maybe still suffering sore ribs, Harper was ball watching for one try, Garrick came in off his wing for no reason for another (which happens a lot with our wingers) Hoppa made an awful one on one attempt for another and the rest were from a warriors kick!!

How frustrating is it when we hold a side pretty comfortably for 4 tackles, only for them to put in a little grubber or chip kick to corner and we conceed a try!!

• 👍
Reactions: bSw
This....with a little more "Bang" in the contacts, should legally allow us to control the ruck speed tempo and in doing so, keep the opposition scores down and build belief, not drop heads.
Garner and Saddler hopefully will be in the side. These guys hit like men possessed.. guacamole too, and Jake before his shoulder surgery

One major difference with the way RL is played these days is the attacking kicking. If a bomb or a grubber is good enough then there is no defence to it.
Wingers jumping with momentum will out leap a defending jumper most times.
When a ball is grubbered just through the defensive line a try normally results.
We just happened to concede more tries to kicks, and on the flip side we scored less tries from them. So this is one important area that we must work on. Having Turbo at fullback in defence, and The Shoe with his attacking kicks will help.
Our performances over the last two months resembled the old Holden Cup. If a team can hold the ball for six tackles or more then "we give up" - you score.
It will be interesting to see if the finals matches feature resolute defence like we are accustomed to seeing, or high scoring affairs due to the new rules which favour attacks.

Garner and Saddler hopefully will be in the side. These guys hit like men possessed.. guacamole too, and Jake before his shoulder surgery
I'd love to know if Saddler is still with us; Sippers also. Neither were selected this season. Even losing eight of the last nine matches couldn't get them into our nominated 21.

I'd love to know if Saddler is still with us; Sippers also. Neither were selected this season. Even losing eight of the last nine matches couldn't get them into our nominated 21.
Don't know about Sipley as Marty, afb, paseka and Keppie weren't too bad (considering...) but I know saddler needed nsw cup as he still needs a bit of work re nrl standard fitness. Although you're right, with the standard shown even by our middles, would have loved to see them get a run. I know des and crusher are big fans of saddler (on development co).But as we saw with hoppa, without a nsw cup a lot of our top 30 just aren't there yet

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8