Defence shows Hasler difference at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
might be better than Cartwrong
Remember how clueless DCE and all that looked in attack at the start when Baz had most of the control (aka before bozo when psycho). I remember him persisting with Walker for ages when we looked absolutely out of direction

As attack coach: NO to Barrett, No to Cartwright, YeS to Des, YES to Toovey

Defensive positioning structures are important of course but the best defense stems from discipline, guts, heart, desire and pride... and that is what Des instills.

The Fortress was built on this foundation and it is being rebuilt, from glorious Manly Warringah stone.

2 from 4. I'll wait a few more weeks before judging guys. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Last two weeks have been mint. The second half against The Roosters. Fantastic.

We will have Tom out for a long time (and Walker). Let's see how we fare .

Noice!

I remember the defence back in the late 1990's. I remember not once feeling bothered if the opposition was near our line as the bricks and mortar from the brookie fortress were all but impenetrable

Our 1996 side only let in 191 points throughout the entire season, 22 of them in the Finals. The next best defence that year was Brisbane with 263 and Cronulla with 268.

The most points any side put on us all year was when we let the Gold Coast Chargers score 22 points in Round 2 at Brookvale. Though we did score 36 ourselves that day.

In 25 games played we kept the opposition to 10 points or less on 16 occasions, including the Grand Final. We also had three clean sheets, keeping Doesn't-Matta scoreless at Brookie in Rd.15 (44-0), the Sydney Tigers scoreless at Brookie in Rd.19 (18-0), and the Sharks scoreless in the Prelim Final at the SFS (24-0). We also restricted opposition teams to one try or less 12 times through the season. Edit: we also almost kept St George scoreless in Rd.8 at Kogarah, and would have but for a Wayne Bartrim penalty goal that made the final score 6-2. That was also the last game we played during Matthew Ridge's self imposed exile as he had signed with Super League.

It would be great to get back to that level of defence again. But I can't see that ever being repeated in the NRL for a long, long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manly-Warringah_Sea_Eagles_season

Last edited:
Our 1996 side only let in 191 points throughout the entire season, 22 of them in the Finals. The next best defence that year was Brisbane with 263 and Cronulla with 268.

The most points any side put on us all year was when we let the Gold Coast Chargers score 22 points in Round 2 at Brookvale. Though we did score 36 ourselves that day.

In 25 games played we kept the opposition to 10 points or less on 16 occasions, including the Grand Final. We also had three clean sheets, keeping Doesn't-Matta scoreless at Brookie in Rd.15, the Sydney Tigers scoreless at Brookie in Rd.19, and the Sharks scoreless in the Prelim Final at the SFS. We also restricted opposition teams to one try or less 12 times through the season.

It would be great to get back to that level of defence again. But I can't see that ever being repeated in the NRL for a long, long time.

In 1996 our coach was none other than .....

The Incomparable Immortal and the Greatest player of all time Zachary Robert Fulton

f327ae54c7aafe07c3b50ceed03f7a9f.jpg

2 from 4. I'll wait a few more weeks before judging guys. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

We will have Tom out for a long time (and Walker). Let's see how we fare .

We have seen steel instilled in our Sea eagles wings

Great foundations for the season ahead

Bring on the Knights !!!
New-3D-Alloy-Metal-Angel-Hawk-Wings-Design-Car-Emblem-Badge-Decal-Logo-Sticker.jpg

Interesting fact about the 1996 Grand Final.

It was the last Grand Final to date played where a starting lock forward wore the #8 jumper, which as we know was the number locks wore in Australia for all but test matches until the end of 1988. Owen Cunningham had originally been named in the front row, but with the changes Bozo made to the run on side (Kosef to 5/8, Gillespie to prop and Cliffy playing from the bench), that saw OJ start the game at lock wearing the #8 jumper.

Remember how clueless DCE and all that looked in attack at the start when Baz had most of the control (aka before bozo when psycho). I remember him persisting with Walker for ages when we looked absolutely out of direction

As attack coach: NO to Barrett, No to Cartwright, YeS to Des, YES to Toovey

i remember plenty about Baz not getting to coach to begin with, it was Bozo.

Too early to get excited. Just remember ladies that we were in the same spot last year after rd 5 with 2 wins and a +29. Knights will be desperate and we have no Tom.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6