Defence shows Hasler difference at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Nine Sports ....

They're the NRL figures that show just how much of a difference Des Hasler has made in less than six months at Manly.

The worst defensive team in the competition last season, the Sea Eagles have found a new steely resolve across the park and particularly close to the line in the opening month of 2019.

According to figures from Fox Sports Stats, Manly conceded 73 tries - more than three a game - from inside their own 20m zone in 2018. Those numbers were the worst in the NRL.

On average, it took opposition teams an average of just 10 play-the-balls to break through Manly's red-zone, where theoretically they should be the strongest in defence.

But that kind of surrender is seemingly no more, with the team's defensive red-zone ratio at now out to one try in every 16.3 play-the-balls - ranking them fifth in the NRL.

Hasler's pre-season was built around defence, and goal line work when tired.

Players were asked to repeat drills with their backs to the walls in an effort to fix their defensive issues.

There's also been a slight defensive restructure, with the veteran coach's teams known for being able to win games tough.

We were focused on a lot of D," prop Addin Fonua-Blake said.

"Obviously we let in a lot of tries last year, so we tried to correct that. Dessie had us out there on hot days, sometimes just doing it twice.

"Just hitting each other on the goal line ... He just really drills it into us about attitude."

Hasler's influence has also been felt across the park in defence before Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

The Sea Eagles are missing 19.5 tackles per game this year - the third least in the league - compared to 27.3 last year.

It should come as no surprise though, given Manly's NRL-worst 622 points conceded last season was more than 150 above the average Hasler's teams allowed across his 14-year coaching career.

"He put a lot of work around his defence and the way his defensive structures are," forward Jack Gosiewski said.

"He's very thorough with it. I think we're all working together more than we probably were last year I think."

There is a saying ....
Show me who your friends are and I will tell you what type of character you are

In other words ...
Show me who your coach is and I will tell you what type of character that will be instilled in your team .

"He's very thorough with it. I think we're all working together more than we probably were last year I think."
Jack Gosiewski
12345268.png

Players were asked to repeat drills with their backs to the walls in an effort to fix their defensive issues.
Is this a literal or figurative manner of speech?
Is there a long brick wall at Narrabeen from which the players practise their defence?
I'd love it to be true. Not sure I'd like to be on the attacking team though.

Des is an experienced coach knows what was needed
TB was inexperienced even though he had 3 years but the defence actually got worse
TB made friends , Des makes wining teams

Stats that were missed are after 4 rounds we are 2 points worse off that last years 68 conceded

and attack has dropped from 110 scored in 2018 down to 83 in 2019.

The missed tackles is the big one for me. 19 per game down from 27.

The missed tackles is the big one for me. 19 per game down from 27.

As the season progresses we will see all the stats come to fruition for the 2019 team

As the season progressed for the 2018 team the greater was the regression

It was a regression without answers or an explanation .

images (6).jpg

Stats that were missed are after 4 rounds we are 2 points worse off that last years 68 conceded

and attack has dropped from 110 scored in 2018 down to 83 in 2019.
Take away the 50+ para leaked that day and the Stats look good. Dont forget that same team then nearly put 50 on us later that year and then won the spoon. Enough said....

Forget stats - the intent and passion are there for the naked eye to see - we would have lost that game against Souths in 2018....in fact after Tom went off, would have copped a 30 point thrashing and made the excuse - " We had too many injuries and lost key players".....great to see the excuse box shut and thrown out the window - we now have a team that says we have as many players as they do and expect to compete regardless of adversity.

Forget stats - the intent and passion are there for the naked eye to see - we would have lost that game against Souths in 2018....in fact after Tom went off, would have copped a 30 point thrashing and made the excuse - " We had too many injuries and lost key players".....great to see the excuse box shut and thrown out the window - we now have a team that says we have as many players as they do and expect to compete regardless of adversity.
Barrett took the excuse box with him when he left

Now we just go about fixing any issues that arise

Take away the 50+ para leaked that day and the Stats look good. Dont forget that same team then nearly put 50 on us later that year and then won the spoon. Enough said....

Memories are made of this .....

Parra the wooden spooners could only manage to win 6 games . That is just one more than us .

Out of Parras 6 winning games their highest score was when they flogged us

Wayne Cousins
Sun 22 Apr 2018, 04:11 PM
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a disappointing 44-10 loss to Parramatta Eels at ANZ Stadium today in round seven of the Telstra Premiership.

It was the second week in a row that Manly had been held scoreless in the first half after leaving the field down 26-0 at half-time against the Wests Tigers the week before.

The loss made it three straight defeats for Manly while it was the Eels' first win of the season after six straight losses. Manly have now won two of their seven matches.

Seems like the only reason we belted Parra is because they were dumb enough to warm up for ages in ridiculous heat...

Compare that game to the Souths game last week, I'd take this year's side over last year's side any day.

Last edited:
Nine Sports ....

They're the NRL figures that show just how much of a difference Des Hasler has made in less than six months at Manly.

The worst defensive team in the competition last season, the Sea Eagles have found a new steely resolve across the park and particularly close to the line in the opening month of 2019.

According to figures from Fox Sports Stats, Manly conceded 73 tries - more than three a game - from inside their own 20m zone in 2018. Those numbers were the worst in the NRL.

On average, it took opposition teams an average of just 10 play-the-balls to break through Manly's red-zone, where theoretically they should be the strongest in defence.

But that kind of surrender is seemingly no more, with the team's defensive red-zone ratio at now out to one try in every 16.3 play-the-balls - ranking them fifth in the NRL.

Hasler's pre-season was built around defence, and goal line work when tired.

There's also been a slight defensive restructure, with the veteran coach's teams known for being able to win games tough.

We were focused on a lot of D," prop Addin Fonua-Blake said.

"Obviously we let in a lot of tries last year, so we tried to correct that. Dessie had us out there on hot days, sometimes just doing it twice.

"Just hitting each other on the goal line ... He just really drills it into us about attitude."

Hasler's influence has also been felt across the park in defence before Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

The Sea Eagles are missing 19.5 tackles per game this year - the third least in the league - compared to 27.3 last year.

It should come as no surprise though, given Manly's NRL-worst 622 points conceded last season was more than 150 above the average Hasler's teams allowed across his 14-year coaching career.

"He put a lot of work around his defence and the way his defensive structures are," forward Jack Gosiewski said.

Amazingly he who cannot coach will still be defended with some voices from the wilderness...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8