• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Souths aren't the only ones. Newcastle seem to be operating on an unlimited cap these days. If Beau Scott is worth $2 million, how much is DCE worth? And Foran? and Gifty?

• 👍
Reactions: Fro
LOL @ DCE to Souffs. He goes there he never plays origin or test footy again.

mickqld said:
manlyborn said:
Am I the only one who is getting tired of where players are are going to play next year, instead of who we are playing next week. Deadset I consider myself a fairly patient person but all this player speculation is really is starting to piss me off...Rant over.

No you're not the only one. This is a rediculous situation and something the NRL needs to sort out. Fans and sponsors who put money into the NRL deserve better treatment than this.There needs to be a transfer/contract window of say 3 months after seasons end where contracts can be negotiated and that is it. I'm sick of this bull**** going on when I just want to watch the team and who we play next week not where they are going to end up next year.

There was a June 30 deadline about 5 years ago. It didnt work.

I see it differently, whilst loyalty is a nice thing if it happens it is pretty much dead. Players have a window to earn as much $ as they can . So much needs to line up at this time of negotiation and one serious injury can kill their earning potential in a second. You cant blame them at all. And they owe the club nothing they are an employee just like most people at their jobs.

My work history has no loyalty last job move my old employer offered me a small pay rise of about 2% i then hit seek and got a job with 12% more just by moving on, i see it as if i can get a bigger rise doing the same work why not? Sure i am still young and i can afford to do this but the days of people staying in places for 20 years is drawing to an end.

I hope they all stay though dce would be my #1 pick he is a superstar

the mauler said:
How the hell can Souths afford to make a massive offer for DCE with the roster theyve got? Uv got to be kidding!

Because the salary cap auditor would never know about houses that crowe could buy for players in the Uk or France or anywhere overseas.

Tinkler, Crowe or Politis could hand players bags of cash every year and the NRL would never know.

tookey said:
the mauler said:
How the hell can Souths afford to make a massive offer for DCE with the roster theyve got? Uv got to be kidding!

Because the salary cap auditor would never know about houses that crowe could buy for players in the Uk or France or anywhere overseas.

Tinkler, Crowe or Politis could hand players bags of cash every year and the NRL would never know.

the auditor would know about the houses (units) bought for Players but not for the ones bought for the players relatives.

EagleRock40 said:
From todays Telecrap -
Cherry-Evans, who burst on to the NRL scene last year, turned down the club's latest offer on Friday in a refusal that is likely to start a bidding war.

He is contracted with Manly until the end of 2013.

"They came to us with an offer on Friday," said Cherry-Evans' manager, Gavin Orr. "We had a look and it wasn't quite where we want it. We told them to go back and see if they can work a few things out."

So that explains why he's not on the Footy Show today like he was supposed to be. Guess he's lying low whilst all this "working out a few things" is going on.

Just hope it's all worked out sooner rather than later or I fear it will have a detrimental effect on his games and therefore us winning/losing. Mind you, nothing seemed to rattle DCE in the past (I love his demeanour).

Please offer DCE & Foran whatever it takes (within reason), even at the expense of other players - and if not today, tomorrow, otherwise it could be too late!

If we lose DCE a part of me will die inside, i just hope it gets sorted soon so we can concentrate on the actual games.

Im confident that wel keep our Foz and DCE, but at what price? Stewart Bros,Lussick,Trex could all be squeezed out.

I dont believe things written the papers these days.

But if one was to put some level of credibility to them then reading this statement in the article:
"We had a look and it wasn't quite where we want it. We told them to go back and see if they can work a few things out."
would suggest that Orr/DCE is, at the very least, ensuring that Manly know where to be to finalise the deal.

Jatz Crackers said:
I dont believe things written the papers these days.

But if one was to put some level of credibility to them then reading this statement in the article:
"We had a look and it wasn't quite where we want it. We told them to go back and see if they can work a few things out."
would suggest that Orr/DCE is, at the very least, ensuring that Manly know where to be to finalise the deal.

Also reading between the lines,it seems the offer from Manly is pretty close to what they want. I rekon its all positive after reading the article.

DCE is contracted to end of 2013 so they do have time to work it out, no need to rush and make a mistake that could prove costly later on. DCE isn't stupid he wont sign for a nuffie club because he knows is will be detrimental to his career.
Beau Scott rumors have been going around for like two months now, if you didnt hear about it you werent paying attention.

My fear is dragons are going to make a play at him. Hornby is aging, Soward coming off contract soon. and they are clearly freeing up cap.

Jatz Crackers said:
Priority 1 = DCE
Priority 2 = Foran

Priority 1= Foran

It really is a toss up in many ways but in the end Foran could play Half and 5/8 or lock(not saying he would be a better half just capable of filling the role) DCE is only a half---Foran is a leader and sets an example for others also.

DCE has a better kicking game and more flamboyant but Foran is all class and composure.

Both players still have issues in their games i would like to see addressed but i feel DCE has a few that are going to catch up with him. I'm not going to address them as some are so minor it's just me being overly critical and another being an issue i feel will limit his potency in attack.

Really is a tough call i for one always consider having a classy attack is more important than forwards and defence so in keeping with that theme you would try to keep them both but i feel honestly Manly should just try to retain one.

A good coach can still produce a competitive side that constantly makes the top 8 with only one great half or 5/8---very rare these days to have two top of the line halves in one team due to financial constraints.

When i say "financial constraints" i'm not limiting that definition to "salary cap reasons" as i feel the salary cap only exists as an excuse to limit salaries and is not really enforced by clubs in real terms until they have to stay within their own budgets.

As a business would you rather a squad that is competitive and makes the 8 year in year out minus one 500,000-700,000 a year player and breaks even or makes a small profit.
(yes i know that money saved on one player may be used throughout the squad retaining others but does not have to be the case in it's entirety)

or

To one that makes the 8 every year with a good chance to win a g/f once every 3-5yrs but costs them an extra 1.5 - 2m to achieve. The financial windfall of a GF does not fill up the shortfall in terms of prize money, future sponsorship and restricted membership opportunities due to a lack of infrastructure to take advantage of a popular winning squad.

As a fan we want G/F's but from a business perspective where is the reward.

Agreed 100% Foran > DCE.. by a whisker
Technical Coach said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Priority 1 = DCE
Priority 2 = Foran

Priority 1= Foran

It really is a toss up in many ways but in the end Foran could play Half and 5/8 or lock(not saying he would be a better half just capable of filling the role) DCE is only a half---Foran is a leader and sets an example for others also.

DCE has a better kicking game and more flamboyant but Foran is all class and composure.

Both players still have issues in their games i would like to see addressed but i feel DCE has a few that are going to catch up with him. I'm not going to address them as some are so minor it's just me being overly critical and another being an issue i feel will limit his potency in attack.

Really is a tough call i for one always consider having a classy attack is more important than forwards and defence so in keeping with that theme you would try to keep them both but i feel honestly they should just try to retain one.

A good coach can still produce a competitive side that constantly makes the top 8 with only one great half or 5/8---very rare these days to have two top of the line halves in one team due to financial constraints.

When i say "financial constraints" i'm not limiting that definition to "salary cap reasons" as i feel the salary cap only exists as an excuse to limit salaries and is not really enforced by clubs in real terms until they have to stay within their own budgets.

As a business would you rather a squad that is competitive and makes the 8 year in year out minus one 500,000-700,000 a year player and breaks even or makes a small profit or
(yes i know that money saved on one player may be used throughout the squad retaining others but does not have to be the case in it's entirety)

To one that makes the 8 with a good chance to win a g/f once every 3-5yrs but costs them an extra 1.5 - 2m to achieve. The financial windfall of a GF does not fill up the shortfall in terms of prize money, future sponsorship and restricted membership opportunities due to a lack of infrastructure to take advantage of a popular winning squad.

As a fan we want G/F's but from a business perspective where is the reward.

manlyborn said:
Am I the only one who is getting tired of where players are are going to play next year, instead of who we are playing next week. Deadset I consider myself a fairly patient person but all this player speculation is really is starting to piss me off...Rant over.

Yes I feel the same. There is a saying old cliche, to enjoy every minute in life - and I try to live by that philosophy but in NRL is seems things are always planne for years ahead. I am all for succession planning and all (I do that for a job) but seriously we need to enjoy 2012 at the same time as plan ahead. Can get frustrating.
Why does the club seems to dilly dally around in signing key players, that they want to sign - seriously is there inexperience there in the admin side or bean counters or what.
Get a riggle on Manly in signing DCE & Foran ...

TC is right, imo, that these two are our most important signings. I'm a massive fan of both, and I've kept an eye on Foran since his school days.
The only reasons I'd lean to DCE over Foran is longevity. Foran is such a rugged player that I question whether he can physically maintain the rage for many seasons.
Regardless, both are so exciting and it's a privilege being able to support them.

In the QLD Sunday paper the only article related to Manly was the DCE contract rejection blah while there was a massive story on the bongos who lost on Friday. Being a Manly supporter in QLD really sucks regarding media coverage.
The kid is contracted 'til the end of 2013. I certainly hope both him and Foz sign long contracts soon but as many are saying on here instead of worrying about what's happening week by week we're speculating about future years.
The media is going to keep this up all year. The Stewart to St George rubbish sent me into a spin and it was all a load of ****e as the dragqueens don't want him.
News Ltd - you suck!
Grab a pen DCE. You're in the best place. Stay here.

No way we MUST sign both. These 2 will deliver more premierships. That means more sponsors more dollars more exposure. Their play will draw crowds not just at home for us but away as well. People will pay to se these 2 players do what they can do best. Provide excitement and flair. Split them up and the game will be poorer for it.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7