DCE vs Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DCE = a better 6
Orford = a better 7

Orford was a better halfback, Cherry is a better 5/8th

DCE is perfectly capable of doing most or all of the things Orford does in this video, but doesn't. Why?

So by your rationale, the fact that Andrew John’s was the NSW halfback for over half of Orfords playing career, means nothing.

Joey was better than Orford, so DCE is also better than Orford.

Makes sense 😂

Agree to disagree.
by the same logic Cooper cronk and JT were present for a large part of DCE's career. apples and oranges?

Oh and I'm not trolling you btw. honest. i hate it when I have a discussion with someone on one thing then on a totally different topic we go again....:D

Last edited:
Yes might be one or two looking back through rose coloured glasses. Here's a couple of nostalgic threads with slightly more contemporaneous assessments of the Ox. One of them suggests his greed cost us JWH!!

what a great crystal ball moment. great find.

While I acknowledge that Ox played in the greatest team in RL history, and had an incredible 2008 individually, he does not hold a candle to DCE.

You have to remember the quality of the team he had around him, which DCE inherited in his first few years, two of which led to grand finals.

Before 2008 Ox was not that good, and after 2008 he played ok in 2009 and then never won again in the NRL when not playing for Manly I think.

I think even Bob Dylan would agree the teams around DCE since 2015 have ranged from a bunch of also rans to mediocre at best. I don’t think even Wally Lewis or Andrew John’s could have dragged those teams to grand finals. If anything, the full strength team of 2022 is better than any since 2014, and I still think we can do a little damage, even Turbo-less, if we make the finals.

Go DCE, and go Manly

NYEagle

I have a memory that Ox was actually selected for NSW Origin but had to withdraw because of injury. Can anyone confirm that?

I have a memory that Ox was actually selected for NSW Origin but had to withdraw because of injury. Can anyone confirm that?
Yep def happened at least once, though I think he was selecyed cause Johns or maybe Kimmorley or someone was injured

Despite standing just 169 tall, Orford
was nicknamed Ox due to his incredible strength. He was picked for State of Origin in 2008 but had to withdraw due to injury

From a old foxsports article

Ooooft that was an average Blues squad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-145603_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-145603_Chrome.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220624-145615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-145615_Chrome.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 15
DCE has had a fine career. There are times that he does frustrate me and I do think his contract has hampered us but if I’m picking between the two on ability alone then it would be DCE.

Love them or hate them, as supporters we have ridden the highs and lows with these guys.
I might be a dinosaur or more like a bull elephant with balls dragging on the ground but let's go back a little further and bring Brett Kimmorley into the discussion. If it wasn't for him and the Northern Eagles paying at the time, top $$$$, $500,000 per season that organisation may still be going albeit a shadow of the Wests Tigers. That $500,000 drained the team so much, I am sure that is why they went belly up. So thanks Brett. On the other hand, it drove out a young Matt Orford and possibly for the best where he had the opportuniy to home his skills.
You just shudder to think what could have been.

Ridge was a tougher player than Garrick who lets the high ball bounce from time time and he did that early against the Cowgirls. Garrick is improving and I don’t think we’ve seen his best yet so I’ll reserve my final judgement.

Ox is much better.
DCE is hopless. he is a little girl. afraid to hit the line and get hurt.(i've never seen him get tackled with the ball in 80 minutes of footy)
That stupid pass on cows line and dropping the ball resulted in a length of the field try by cows. It was tackle 1 damn it with a few minutes left.

Could be our best goalkicker since Ridge?

His goal kicking has proved costly in both the Cowboys and Eels games.

While his percentage might be better than Lyon’s, I feel that Lyon kicked well when he needed to kick well. Kicked poorly in games where it didn’t really matter. More clutch for me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4