DCE vs Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not sure if this has ever been discussed here previously.

So with no matches this week I thought it might keep some interest here by talking about these two who are much maligned.

Both premiership winners, and match winners on their day.

Let rip peeps.

It’s a very interesting discussion.I suppose it really depends on the team they have around them.Their careers coincided with having very similar players to play with,but at varying stages of their journeys.Orford was a lot more of an organising half than DCE and played more direct,so I wonder if the current right edge would blossom with Orford inside?At their peaks,DCE was a better defender and kicker.

Hmmm this deserves some thought, good question.

People tend to look at the past with a nostalgic lense and only remember the positives whilst they they can get bogged down current form and extrapolate that over a career.

My instincts are to go Chez.....but Id need to ponder, tis very close

Orford is better in every single aspect than DCE. DCE isn't in Ox's shadow. You can't even compare the two. Ox never ran in concentric circles. Ox was direct. Ox was a winner. Ox had a team first mentality.
Ox was a great player but was not without his flaws.

Chez has been a great player for Manly but is not without his flaws.

I maintain its a close call, the way you phrase the above it seems Ox could do no wrong and Cherry has never produced for us.

That 2008 series Orford was another level.
2011 DCE was Red hot also.
Both far different style players, but Orford was a far better director of the side, as the team rarely looked confused and the players outside Orford understood their roles far better, so as a player to lead a team around the park and apply direct attacking footy - Orford.
DCE does have some X factor style plays that are unpredictable, but they are often erratic also, leading to big mistakes at crucial times.
I rate DCE higher than a few here and is a highly rated rep player, but it's orford imo, as he seemed to have the "Team" more composed and this enables everyone around him to shine and play to their ability.

I have always said that Orford has been the best half to ever play for manly that I have seen. I still stand by this.

Orford everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I’m thinking more along the likes of DCE vs Dorn? Haha, ouch
Luke Dorn was an incredible attacking player with a great kicking game who struggled to defend. He played a lot of games in the super league.

He could have been anything. I think he was a victim of being a young player in a manly team and club that was in a state of flux post northern eagles and apparently had an arrogant attitude and des didn’t like him and shipped him off to the roosters for monas. He played a few very good games off the bench for the roosters and then went to super league.

He was a talent who got lost in the system. In 2002 and 2003 he put on a stack of tries for us. Again Very talented attacking player.

Sorry but in my opinion DCE offers more overall than Orford did. Orford was a good organiser and solid, but he didnt have the match winning skill of DCE. DCE was a better kicker, defender, far faster and a better attacker individually. All one has to do is look at their respective rep games. Orford 3 NSW City/country appearances. DCE 17 State of Origins, and 15 test matches.

That 2008 series Orford was another level.
2011 DCE was Red hot also.
Both far different style players, but Orford was a far better director of the side, as the team rarely looked confused and the players outside Orford understood their roles far better, so as a player to lead a team around the park and apply direct attacking footy - Orford.
DCE does have some X factor style plays that are unpredictable, but they are often erratic also, leading to big mistakes at crucial times.
I rate DCE higher than a few here and is a highly rated rep player, but it's orford imo, as he seemed to have the "Team" more composed and this enables everyone around him to shine and play to their ability.
Sums it up perfectly

Sorry but in my opinion DCE offers more overall than Orford did. Orford was a good organiser and solid, but he didnt have the match winning skill of DCE. DCE was a better kicker, defender, far faster and a better attacker individually. All one has to do is look at their respective rep games. Orford 3 NSW City/country appearances. DCE 17 State of Origins, and 15 test matches.
Spot on Bearfax. No comparison.

DCE has a better long kicking game and is a better field goal exponent. Ox was no slouch though and kicked plenty of important field goals.

I’d take Ox pretty comfortably, DCE is 32 and still lacks composure. Too many rush of blood to the head plays for me.

It’s hard to tell..
I really loved watching ox play except the last year or 2 where he struggled with his groin injury.. and every dropout or penalty kick only went 15 meters and really killed us in some close games…

I feel like ox had the advantage of an all time team around him in their prime…
Glenn, choc, kitey,king,matai, Lyon, snake, Robertson… all those blokes were in their career primes when they played with Orford, where as dce got to play with them at the wrong end of their careers.. snake after 2 knee blowouts, matai after years of neck injury etc etc
Would have loved to see how they played if dce got all those blokes in their early 20s instead of injury ravaged and pushing 30

Dce got a prime turbo brothers combo but 1 is always injured and combined they take up most our cap so the rest of the players around them can’t come close to a player of a watmough or Lyon or Glenn skill wise

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4