DCE today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
yup they closed him down

Seu Seu was just a pain in the ass, he ruined a lot of good chances.

The defence from the Cutters was bloody good today though!

DCE looks very very dangerous in patches, the kid can play, is he ready for NRL?

Probably not, but certainly has a lot of potential. I agree he looks more dangerous than Hodko did, but Hodko looked like he had a but load more control.

DCE looks like he has played a lot of Oz Tag to me. He is always sniffing and looking and backs himself.

A big problem today is that Sunny Coast were missing a lot of their forwards and we didn't match it at all. We really needed to get some big boppers up and moving forward. We missed the likes of Bhurer who is quick out of DUmmy half and makes some good metres. Mauro was also missed.

Add our forwards and we win it.

DCE was probably the best of Sunny Coast with our right centre next best.
Coppidge is also a gun but they didnt give him any space.

I thought the Cutters got away with being offside a lot, but thems the breaks.

I will also say, the refereeing at QLD cup level is about 100 times better than NRL. I have thought that all year.

Dan link said:
yup they closed him down

DCE looks very very dangerous in patches, the kid can play, is he ready for NRL?

Probably not, but certainly has a lot of potential. I agree he looks more dangerous than Hodko did, but Hodko looked like he had a but load more control.

DCE looks like he has played a lot of Oz Tag to me. He is always sniffing and looking and backs himself.

A big problem today is that Sunny Coast were missing a lot of their forwards and we didn't match it at all. We really needed to get some big boppers up and moving forward. We missed the likes of Bhurer who is quick out of DUmmy half and makes some good metres. Mauro was also missed.

I will also say, the refereeing at QLD cup level is about 100 times better than NRL. I have thought that all year.

How'd Palau go mate?

Off to a party now - cya's.

Paulo.... He is a character.

Had one or two good runs and a few off loads, but they were cuthbo offloads.

If he bulks up over the next 3 years he may be ok in NRL but has a looooong way to go.

The concern was that if our forwards don't aim up next year then DCE will get slaughtered. I fear him being thrown in too young and being ruined by it if the forwards alllow it.

It could turn out good as our older guys will need to stand up to look after him and protect him

Dan link said:
yup they closed him down

I totally agree with most of your analysis Dan, especially your last sentence and isn't it so much better with only the one referee on the field and also not going to the video ref for every little decision. I think maybe the video ref was only used a couple of times for the whole duration of the game which had the onfield referee making the majority of the decisions with only one touch judge reporting one incidence of supposed foul play too.

I really hope that DCE can make the big step up next year as I thought that Hodko would be able to this year but he has struggled at times (some would say most of the time). With DCE, I don't really think that today's game was the best game to judge him on. He was shut down by the Cutter's defence who were on to him straight away. I do think that he may just cop a bit of flack on here next year over his performance if he doesn't play like the messiah. He needs to be given a break and given a bit of time to settle in and not to have too many hopes pinned on him straight away. He is green and (pardon the pun) needs to be allowed to ripen. One advantage with him next year is that he does have a halves history with Foran which should help hom out a lot.

As for Tyrone Coppedge, I've liked the look of him since I think it was the round 16 game against the Souths Logan Magpies (the game where Lussick got injured as well as a few other SCSE regulars). Talk about an elusive winger in that game. It was like he had been greased up as the opposition players just couldn't keep hold of him. He was stepping out of and dodging tackles left right and centre. He wasn't given any opportunity to perform today either as they managed to either shut him down or keep hold of him whenever he got the ball. The Cutter's defence was just too good all over the park for the whole game today and I think is probably what won them the game.

In my opinion, the Cutters also got away with a few suspect passes too as well as the offside play but I think that the Sunshine Coast's biggest problem today were themselves. I am pretty sure that they a heap more opportunities to score but they just kept on dropping the ball or kept trying to do cut out passes that were intercepted or were knocked on.

John Muir was very unlucky not to have scored himself a try as he was just crossing over for the try when big Luke Fatnowna from the Cutters gave him the big shoulder charge which popped the ball out of his grasp. Fatnowna came off 2nd best for his efforts though and looked like he was in gah gah land for a bit.

Muir that was the centre I was talking about. He had an incredible game very very very unlucky.

Horrid game.

DCE doesnt deserve as much credit as given above IMO.

Butchered a number of set moves and couldnt adapt to the windy conditions in both kick and more importantly his passing game.

Agree on Coppedge.

Otherwise, i have no further comment. Awful game of football.

thats harsh Jatz, I could see his talent but he was one step ahead of the everyone else and was getting rushed. That meant everyone was another step behind.

Give him a forward pack going forward and he would be up there with tthe best

Yes i am being harsh.

I agree that the lack of go forward was a hinderance to him but it was his own errors and his own poor decision making (especially in the 1st half) that caused my judgement.

Why he persisted with throwing cut out passes in his own half with those conditions, I will never know. Just gave the defense more time to pressure our backline and how many handling problems did we see because of it.

Im not bagging the blokes future but today he didnt adjust well to what was a relatively simple & identifiable game condition.

Its surprising re what you are saying on DCE vs Hodko - Des tends to like solid and dependable over flashy.

Hopefully he can develop into a top player!

I still can't believe we're going to roll with a completely untried kid as our first option halfback in 2011!??
There's gotta be a plan B...surely??? :'(

1. Stewart
6. T Williams
7. Foran

Hey why not? He's been suggested for pretty much every other position! ;)

Stewart at 6. You guys must be comedic professionals. Please.

The kid is a great player but the best thing he has going for him is pace. Just because a player can run through a hole does not mean he can put others through them.

It's sad because he is and will always be a great of the club. But a 5/8 he is not.

Hunt would have made a 5/8 if he didn't become an afl sop.

But stewart had streets of skill as a full back where hunt had hype

Jatz good call. The conditions today called for short balls. One and two outs and play to tge kick. Then turn them around with defence.

Dce is young so I can forgive him today.
I know costin got up them at halftime but he should have had the runners out there early telling them to play short at use the "breeze".

I think we can all agree youth needs coaching and leadership

Taped the game and just watched it for the second time. Ive watched 5 sunny coast games this year and my feelings about DCE have changed about as many times

Yesterdays game, I'm going to have to disagree with some of the comments too. Firstly he does have all the skills, a nice crisp pass, ability to know whats doing when a ball needs to be passed, great striker of the footy, which was more evident when sending some kicks against the wind.

In saying that his execution today was poor and he just didn't adjust his game to suit the conditions at all. His passing game was terrible with many passes going behind the man and hitting the turf. He made a few good runs but they were all off seu seu balls. He put himself in a positions to do so, ( vision) but seu seu outplayed him again today

Seu seu made a few errors near the end of the game that were telling but his overall involvement and his desire to take the ball to the line made him a far more dangerous proposition than DCE yesterday, regardless of ability

The forwards were down on troops and Mackays Defence and attitude were superb but this had just as much bearing on seu seu's ability with the ball as DCE

The wind was a howler and the coast ran with it in the first half, also gaining the first 4 penalties. In that time DCE did all the kicking yet  the sunny coast were trapped at there end of the field for a large % of the time. Forget the NRL for one moment and remember he is close to the premier player of this competition and was not able to convert those advantages into field position let alone points

DCE does have all the skills, i agree and one game doest make a summer but i am only commenting on yesterdays game

another thing i found interesting was The coaches comments after half time. He said he put a rocket up seu seu and DCE. After the break as a result we had seu seu trying to hard and making errors and pretty much more of the same from DCE

His defence looks scratchy as well, , someone commented on OZ tag and i thing that is very accurate way of summing it up. In the second half he made a few tackles around the legs and got the jumper dirty but he did play the first half like he was in a dinner jacket

If DCE applies himself really hard he could well be a match winner in the NRL in the future, but his game is so far away from Des's gameplan its hard to see if his strength's will even be displayed. Only time will tell but i am getting less confident by the day that he will develop into a halfback that will allow Manly to have a shake at the top 4 for a few seasons yet

I know seu seu had, a frustrating game today but if willow had goat photos then he must have fooled around with someones else goat. He is the closest thing Manly have to an attacking, versatile bench player yet he just doesn't even seem to be in the mix

Just my opinions, not knocking anyone elses, just how i saw it

I can maybe see Stewart at 6, he does pass well in backline movements, and seem to have some kicking skills. BUT and this is a big but only once he loses his pace - he's worth 1-2 tries a game at fullback - barely even the best 5/8ths get you that at 5/8th so why move him?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6