DCE doubters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I will own up, after round one I said DCE had a shocker, but in my defense I also said that we needed to give him time and that he shouldn't be expected to get everything right in his first game. Des knows what he is doing, and that has been proved time and time again. I am confident that Des knows best even when we see players having an occasional off game, and with these young guys consistency is always going to come with time.

And now he is going from strength to strength, yes still a few errors, 3 kicks out on the full today for instance, but his link with Foran is fantastic and his read on the play is well beyond his experience. He is certainly going to be solid for us.

I think his kicking technique looks a little weird to be honest but it works for him.

He is definitely still a work in progress. I watched a lot of his Toyota Cup games and at times he still tries to attack the same way and it doesn't quite work against the big boys but I love the little bits of improvement in his game and how he's also got more than one string to his bow unlike a lot of other young halves.

He put two 40/20 attempts out on the full a side like saints would have put us to the sword i know he's still learning what would all you ironstines have said if penrith scored 2 tries from those 2 errors.Another thing he's sometimes doing an orford when his got the ball, he's caught up in 2 minds doesn't release the ball & gets smashed.There is that a good enough reason.

The thing I like about DCE is that he has a go. He wants the ball in his hands and is willing to take on the line. He'll continue to improve and be an invaluable member of the team.
He's also prepared to take some risks. Two of his kicks were poor, but all the others were excellent, including his line kicks where he gains great territory.
I like the kid.
When I watched him in Toyota Cup he didn't kick for goal, so he is taking on this extra onerous task.

DCE is a work in progress still a long way from where he needs to be, however he is improving every game. I agree Who I like the way he backs himself.

DCE has a great kicking game in general play and nit was good to see him at least try something.

I did think however that he seemed to struggle to gain distance with line drops outs.

Did anyone else notice that or am I looking to deep in it?

Matabele said:
Including, may it be remembered, Susan who wanted to make Foran a lock.

Dont forget Susan said that King would never make Origin :cool:

Seaeagle63 said:
DCE has a great kicking game in general play and nit was good to see him at least try something.

I did think however that he seemed to struggle to gain distance with line drops outs.

Did anyone else notice that or am I looking to deep in it?

His first went 60 metres and we tackled them on halfway, I'll take that any day over the orford 30 metre ones

I think the first one had lucky bounce and went a bit further, the rest seemed to land around the 40 metre mark, still much better than Ox.

One of the good things about DCE is watching his confidence grow and he is trying a lot more in attack which I suppose is only natural. It was mentioned that when Foran got the ball at one stage DCE and Gift had something worked out for the other side of the field and how great it was that the team had plenty of options.

It shows what the few of us saw in him in the Toyota Cup with Foran: the potential to be huge! Those 2 were fantastic together and we are seeing signs of that only 7 weeks into the season. By Round 26 you will all be praising him.

and Riccardi the halfback has been in sizzling form and you should see his kicking game!! Higgins, Cunningham, Lussick, Sipley (new Kiwi winger who is built and runs like a steam train) Stromquist. The future is Crusher and maroon baby

Didnt call for his sacking but I said I thought he had a lot of work to do to be become a solid first grader. I was wrong he is much better than I thought.

And getting better every week. Remember at the start of the season a lot of the so called experts were tipping us to struggle with rookie halves.

Jono said:
It shows what the few of us saw in him in the Toyota Cup with Foran: the potential to be huge! Those 2 were fantastic together and we are seeing signs of that only 7 weeks into the season. By Round 26 you will all be praising him.

I'm not sure if DCE will ever reach the heights of international representation like Foran but he has the potential to be a good halfback. With guys like Foran, Gift & Lyon in the team solid is all DCE has to be at the moment. I'm just not sure if he has it in him to make the next step, more than happy to be proven wrong though.

He has heaps of potential and for an NRL rookie in a key position you can't really argue with 5 from 7.

One huge bonus is that he doesn't mind taking on the line. That huge dummy means that rivals will have to keep a very close watch on him, which will give Gift & Killer that little skerrick of extra room which is usually all they need.

The thing I like about DCE? The fact that everything he does, even if the doesn't come off, has a thought process behind it.

There are times when the execution is poor, but would've been brilliant, had the kick or pass, had more or less punch to it. Better judgment will come with maturity.. And I'm looking forward to that journey.

Go MANLY!

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Liueli of Brookvale said:
The thing I like about DCE? The fact that everything he does, even if the doesn't come off, has a thought process behind it.

There are times when the execution is poor, but would've been brilliant, had the kick or pass, had more or less punch to it. Better judgment will come with maturity.. And I'm looking forward to that journey.

Go MANLY!

You hit the nail on the head there, Hodkinson may have been a steady halfback with good defense but his bag of tricks is limited and he really just goes though the motions. DCE on the other hand plays the game as he sees it and is actually looking to get a 40/20 in and mixes his game up quite a bit even if his execution is not great yet. I think he is learning alot off Foran too.

DCE is still coming to terms with NRL and is still struggling but as each week goes past he will improve. His kicking game is great but his attack breaks down a hell of a lot.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6