Crusher retires

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
After being a bustling player for Manly (and Roosters unfortunately) Crusher Cleal is leaving the game.
Been a helpful recruitment officer / assistant through much of Manly success off the field but I feel good call.
His time has come to hang up more boots, but will always be a big part of Manly folklore including the 1987 GF....all the best to the Big Crusher !!
Any special memories....I recall a dummy to kick a FG vs the Eels and busted through to score a try from 20m out !!

Noel is 65, I’m 67.

I played against him and Les in the juniors in the very early 70’s.

Let’s just say when the Cleal boys tackled you , you bloody knew you were tackled.

I was maybe 15 , Noel 13, Les I think the same age as me.

They were absolute guns, even back then.

I became mates with Noel when he bought a pub at a place called Coolatai , after his retirement as a player , almost nothing there other than the pub.

I used to take motorcycle trips there with my Ulysses club.

I remember sitting beside Noel , and Bob Fulton , when watching my Moree team get absolutely smashed by the Jamie Lyon led , Wee Waa Panthers in the 2004 group 5 GF.

Noel said to me that day , tell no one , but Jamie is coming to Manly but has to sit out two years in the ESL as the Eels won’t release him.

A great fella is Crusher , but he probably should have retired from the football life a decade ago.

Last edited:
After being a bustling player for Manly (and Roosters unfortunately) Crusher Cleal is leaving the game.
Been a helpful recruitment officer / assistant through much of Manly success off the field but I feel good call.
His time has come to hang up more boots, but will always be a big part of Manly folklore including the 1987 GF....all the best to the Big Crusher !!
Any special memories....I recall a dummy to kick a FG vs the Eels and busted through to score a try from 20m out !!
Yeah, I agree. And if I'm not mistaken, we owe him credit for getting Killer to the Club. THAT was a highlight for me. At 65, it's a good time to give it away and play with the grandkids coz I couldn't see the value in him sticking around any longer anyway. Great memories tho.

Thank you for posting @Isz

The legendary Crusher was as a destructive player as they come and also a crowd pleaser

I hope he has a long , healthy and Happy life after footy

The Greatest Honor
Is to do a Manly Grand final Winning Lap of Honor

Crusher and his kids straight after our legendary 1987 Grand final win
clealandsons.jpg

I hope Peter Peters is taking note. How to retire with honour and pride, and not running around flapping your gob at anyone who will listen. Congrats Crusher.
He’ll only stop it when he dies , cannot help himself , and in trying to stay relevant he ****s in his nest continually.

I find it sad really.

Last edited:
Good on Crusher and what a great Manly legend he'll always be. I have many fond memories of him in his playing days, with the '87 GF a highlight. Then to top it off...his luring of Killer to Manly will never be forgotten.

Congratulations on a wonderful career and wishing him a happy and long retirement.

Is this an old news article???? I thought he retied years ago. Certainly hasn't done much in recent times

Last edited:
Club legend crusher. Won title in 1987, blues and kangaroo tours.
Then in recruitment, Killer imo best centre in seen at the club. And was part of initial recruitment when Des took over in 2005. Pretty sure he nabbed the Stewart's brothers to club along with Matty Ballin, Brent Kite.
Have a great retirement crusher your a club legend.

Crusher seemed to have a ‘nose’ for good players, and I am sure there are many stories we don’t know about.

Good luck to Crusher in retirement and I wish he and his family well.

Credit needs to go to his wife. Had many a chat with the both of them. Hearing the stories of the weekly feed bill for all the youngsters staying at their home were insane.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4