Croker Update

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not so sure ,He originally wasnt even contracted for this year .If Des really didnt want him wouldnt it have been easier to not resign him.I could be wrong though !!
Way I was looking at Croker. He's still working his way back and no where near ready for a contact session. June is probably the earliest he is likely to be back to full fitness. Is after June 30 when those on development contracts can play? Or is it from day dot?

Not sure if there is a plan ..... my view is simply that Croker, ... at the cost of a DEv. contract ... is a high return / low risk investment.... and Dessie obviously thinks he is worth the gamble ...
Agreed totally. I think injury free that he can add something in first grade if the chance/need arises.

Croker didn't show a great deal in attack during his half dozen games, however he did show some real quality in defence, including some top efforts on our line. The sort of quality that is worth persevering with.
Hopefully he will develop those skills in the development squad .[/QUOTE]

Croker didn't show a great deal in attack during his half dozen games, however he did show some real quality in defence, including some top efforts on our line. The sort of quality that is worth persevering with.

Which is why I agreed with what @pjayz said in that maybe his best bet would be a move to dummy half rather than in the actual halves. His defence is fairly good and his passing skills could easily be transferred to wearing the #9 jumper. I just don't think he has much of an NRL future as a half.

Look, last year wasn't something of his making and if we had retained Green or had picked up someone like Mitchell Pearce then in all likelyhood he probably wouldn't have even played first grade, let alone ended up as our first choice pivot at the start of the year (regardless of the Barrett / Hastings situation). But regardless of the circumstances, I honestly don't think he showed anywhere near enough as a 5/8 to indicate that he would be a long term option in the halves. And I think the fact that he's been dropped to a development contract, regardless of his injury history, reflects that.

I'll agree that they obviously see something in the kid or they would have already cut him completely from the club. But at his age, being dropped from a full contract to a development contract, shows to me that he is on his last chance, at least last chance at Manly.

I honestly hope the kid does come good because he has shown a lot of heart given the amount of long term injuries he has suffered. Some other players would have just quietly faded away by now. But whether or not that is enough remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Remember it took 4 years for Glenn Stewart to cement a spot in first grade. I don't think anyone predicted that he would become a vital part of our premiership squads with a CCM.

The point is... if Croker is willing to improve and bide his time in reserve grade then just maybe he will come good.

Of course there is just as much chance that he will fade into obscurity but let's wait and see. On bottom dollar I don't see that there is too much risk here.

Remember it took 4 years for Glenn Stewart to cement a spot in first grade. I don't think anyone predicted that he would become a vital part of our premiership squads with a CCM.

The point is... if Croker is willing to improve and bide his time in reserve grade then just maybe he will come good.

Of course there is just as much chance that he will fade into obscurity but let's wait and see. On bottom dollar I don't see that there is too much risk here.

Croker could languish in the feeder cup sides until one day he gets a call up to 1sts and have a real 'late blooming' 'kick on' year and stick around longer than even he suspected at the early stages of his career.

Similar to Jeff Robson..

Des has kept him in the system for a reason. We will probably find out what that reason is by the end of this season

Tough little bugger but short of first grade standard in my opinion. No real kicking game and lacks confidence to drive a team around the park.And we don’t need another hooker who cant kick. Fainu is the only one of the three ( if they played Croker there ) who kicks with confidence .

But you can’t knock his desire.
Poor kid was thrown to the wolves as our starting 5/8 with bugger all experience and had a rubbish coach. For the life of me I had no idea who had what role in the team with him and DCE and those 2 probably had no idea either. Good luck young fella!

Poor kid was thrown to the wolves as our starting 5/8 with bugger all experience and had a rubbish coach. For the life of me I had no idea who had what role in the team with him and DCE and those 2 probably had no idea either. Good luck young fella!
I love real life Rocky stories . I find nothing more admirable when a person overcomes adversity and bounces back up and has success .
Rocky-Balboa-Picture-Quotes.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7