Cowboys show us the way

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
nowadays i only watch manly games so i don't know but, do the cows get caned in penalties & 6 agains like us?
Not last night. Early on the Dragons had absolutely no ball. Every time the Cows made a break and the Dragons scrambled to stop it, the referee doubled down and gave the Cows 6 again on top of it.

It's like NRL HQ watched the Origin and saw how terrific a game it was without all of the rubbish six agains, then decided we can't have NRL games officiated like Origin.

The problem with the six again calls is they were meant to replace a penalty. Instead the referees are now giving six agains, where previously they did not penalise.

Look, the Cows push the rules and referees as well as any other team. Unlike Manly though, the Cows push rules that the referees don't do anything about, like walking off the mark, roll ball instead of play the ball, just like Storm, Penrith and Eels.

Manly meanwhile are pushing the rules and referees on things the referees will penalise or give six again on.

Des and Manly need to study what is being let go by referees, then cheat and push things to the limit in that space.

Look, the Cows push the rules and referees as well as any other team. Unlike Manly though, the Cows push rules that the referees don't do anything about, like walking off the mark, roll ball instead of play the ball, just like Storm, Penrith and Eels.

Manly meanwhile are pushing the rules and referees on things the referees will penalise or give six again on.

Des and Manly need to study what is being let go by referees, then cheat and push things to the limit in that space.
We need better wrestling coaches, everyone knows Jake sleeps in the ruck...we absolutely should not be signposting it so much that refs know the culprits by name

We certainly should have a look at them, I can only imagine their forum this time last year and how many would have been writing how the coach should be sacked, players are **** and past it, Taumalolo overpaid etc etc

Cows will come back to the field and so will the Broncos. They've both had easy draws and with origin effects and tough 2nd half of season draws watch them start to falter. Cows were there to be beaten last night but the goons were too inept to push them.

No good discrediting sides because of what the referees do...as if a team can just magically climb from 15th to 3rd in the space of half a year, simply by bending rules?! There’s so much more to it than that. They’re playing really good up tempo footy. They’ve conceded 0 points in second halves 7 times and are ahead of Penrith in defence in second halves by nearly 40 points. It’s amazing what they’re doing.

Cows will come back to the field and so will the Broncos. They've both had easy draws and with origin effects and tough 2nd half of season draws watch them start to falter. Cows were there to be beaten last night but the goons were too inept to push them.
After watching the Cows game, I'm really feeling quit confident of maintaining our fortress Brookie status next Friday night.

Yeah & how long did that take!!!
Probably about the same, Olakau’atu is 23 and debuted in 2019, Reuben Cotter is now 23. Nanai is 19, same age as Koula. Murray Taulagi is 23, Garrick is 24 and Tuipolotu is 21. Josh Schuster is 21 playing his 3rd season of first grade

Desmond and Penn should be studying the Cowboys very closely, theyve had an absolutely incredible transformation
The 3 obvious things.

First their defence, outstanding, last night every time StMerge made a break there were Cows players coming from everywhere, there second in defensive stats to the riff and actually are the best defensive team in second half. I think it was said last night they were leaking on average 3 points or less than a try in the second half of games this year.

Second, they are super fit, it’s already been talked about and they are reaping the rewards for their effort, it would be why they are doing so well in the second half of games.

Their people, their coach, the playing group, all suit the modern game, speed, energy, they have a good balance of youth and experience, their forward pack is extremely mobile and they have a proper 9, who runs their ruck speed and plays with high energy, it’s not really rocket science, buggered if I know why it’s so difficult for our mob to comprehend and apply.

The 3 obvious things.

First their defence, outstanding, last night every time StMerge made a break there were Cows players coming from everywhere, there second in defensive stats to the riff and actually are the best defensive team in second half. I think it was said last night they were leaking on average 3 points or less than a try in the second half of games this year.

Second, they are super fit, it’s already been talked about and they are reaping the rewards for their effort, it would be why they are doing so well in the second half of games.

Their people, their coach, the playing group, all suit the modern game, speed, energy, they have a good balance of youth and experience, their forward pack is extremely mobile and they have a proper 9, who runs their ruck speed and plays with high energy, it’s not really rocket science, buggered if I know why it’s so difficult for our mob to comprehend and apply.
Agree with all of the above. That's why we will be smoked next week.

Agree with all of the above. That's why we will be smoked next week.
Would of been an interesting game if Saints didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot so often. Missed try scoring opportunities, one was a 12 point turnaround with Suli parking himself in the Cows defence line. Ref constantly giving Cows leg-ups and penalty's when in tight situations. We'll see who gets smoked ?

Desmond and Penn should be studying the Cowboys very closely, theyve had an absolutely incredible transformation

If we signed Townsend for 800k and Peta Hiku the forum would have gone into meltdown when added to the overpaid Holmes and Taumalolo and the over the hill and past it Hess and McLean :p

The ‘draw absolutely ****s me. Why not home and away? And why have split rounds during origin?
Because some deranged screwed up perspective on what makes exciting footy rules such decision-making.

Credit to Cows and coach Payton last night, they were good enough to hold their nerve and snatch victory when defeat looked certain.

I've heard Payton previously mention that during pre-season the focus was making the players get used to being uncomfortable. A lot has been written (both here and by various pundits and experts) about their fitness and their defence but I'm convinced it is mostly the mental side that Payton has transformed.

I highly doubt there is much if any any significant difference these days between clubs fitness programs, and there are only so many defensive patterns. They had many talented players last year but this year they are a completely different side.

I posted recently that I expect them to have a slump at some stage but now not so sure. To win last night in those circumstances was very impressive i thought, because I thought Manly played very well too.

I often chuckle to myself when people say we need to sign this player or that player (without knowing anything about said player's personality, family situation, preferred town etc etc etc) whereas the Cows confirm to me that in NRL right now the difference between top middle and bottom is not so great and certainly not all about talent. Most clubs have the cattle but you need to BBQ them just so.

I've heard Payton previously mention that during pre-season the focus was making the players get used to being uncomfortable. A lot has been written (both here and by various pundits and experts) about their fitness and their defence but I'm convinced it is mostly the mental side that Payton has transformed.
I think you have nailed it here. Even last season when things weren’t going our way the teams body language just looked awful. Tom gets injured team looks and sounds deflated.

The team is menatally not strong atm, maybe due to low experience or other factors but when the going gets hard we don’t re-group quick enough and the other team just runs in tries at will.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the Jamie Lyon side was one of the best to snatch wins when all hope was lost and that comes from always keeping your head in the game and never giving up. This side needs a lot of improvement on that front if they are ever going to assert themselves as contenders.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6