Cowboys show us the way

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
The resurgence of the Cowboys this year is largely off the back of defence. They’re second behind Penrith as the best defensive side in 22. They have a better record than Penrith in second halves...

Here’s the thing though...

They have largely the same squad as last year when they finished second last. They’ve added Townsend and that’s about it. He is not good enough to be the reason for their transformation. His influence is not going to improve their defence.

So...maybe the problem at Manly is not our roster. Of course, the roster can be the difference between winning or losing a GF, but it’s rarely the difference between competing each week or not. Maybe we don’t need as big a turn over of players as we think....

What we need is the coaching staff to sort out the defence structures and what not!

Really impressed by the Cowboys. They do the 1%'s well and Payten seems a really smart coach. They also have a plethora of talented juniors coming through including the forwards and if they get it right will be strong for the forseeable future.

When we talk about our juniors coming through it feels like the Cowboys talent puts it into perspective. We have seen Schuster and Toula in last 2 years however who is next. Cowboys had a couple of young giants last night I hadn't heard of. Struggling to see who else is going to make it at Manly. Latu Fainu maybe. Anyone else?

Our biggest issue is definitely defence now (specifically, trust).

I think the strength of the Cows defence is still a little unproven, although I do agree that the Cows should provide some inspo to our players.

They were **** at start of the season, won a few, faked some confidence, got some big wins and now are playing confident

We always look shaky and unsure this year. In 2021 we were very close to becoming a solidified 'heavyweight'. While we lost to the top sides at the beginning of the year, we gained belief by the end of it and had a lot of expectation in the finals. Then come finals time, we limped into September with some bad form. Irregardless, the Storm and Rabbitohs games were still a major let down, and I think if we got to play finals a month or so earlier we would've been much more competitive. The confidence took a hit and they have questioned themselves ever since; falling apart against top teams.

Still can get our mojo back, as evidenced by the Cowboys.
Seasons not over yet, but im finding it hard to watch us at the moment :whew:

Last edited by a moderator:
Defence was identified as our biggest weakness last season

Apparently Des spent most of the offseason working on improving it

Looks like time to go for whoever is our defense coach

The cowboys fitness and speed is also very impressive and very penrith like

If they avoid any major injuries I would think they can reach the GF

A fit and happy JT is a huge weapon for any team

Been saying for 3 years that I have seen every single one of our players play very good 1st grade games ... (and for the numbnuts, I will include Keppie and Harper in that) ..

My question has unfailingly been why are they not playing well every week.

Apart from the lack of dynamic magnetic gizmo energy bracelets ..

The only thing I can think of is coaching.

The resurgence of the Cowboys this year is largely off the back of defence. They’re second behind Penrith as the best defensive side in 22. They have a better record than Penrith in second halves...

They have largely the same squad as last year when they finished second last. They’ve added Townsend and that’s about it. He is not good enough to be the reason for their transformation. His influence is not going to improve their defence.

So...maybe the problem at Manly is not our roster. Of course, the roster can be the difference between winning or losing a GF, but it’s rarely the difference between competing each week or not. Maybe we don’t need as big a turn over of players as we think....

What we need is the coaching staff to sort out the defence structures and what not!
Yep history shows that a largely unchanged team can come 14th one year and 4th the next, so it is down to attitude, coaching, luck with injuries - but mainly attitude I would say - play positively and proactively. They have some experience out there with youth - I have been interested in how professional Hiku is for them in the backline. Very solid - we don't have an equivalent at the moment in the backs, although Koula is performing well above his years.

Been saying for 3 years that I have seen every single one of our players play very good 1st grade games ... (and for the numbnuts, I will include Keppie and Harper in that) ..

My question has unfailingly been why are they not playing well every week.

Apart from the lack of dynamic magnetic gizmo energy bracelets ..

The only thing I can think of is coaching.
Yeah 100%.

The Cowboys have an inferior roster to Manly. You’d pick most of our 17 over theirs...but they’d thrash us at the moment lol

Our biggest issue is definitely defence now (specifically, trust).

I think the strength of the Cows defence is still a little unproven, although I do agree that the Cows should provide some inspo to our players.

They were **** at start of the season, won a few, faked some confidence, got some big wins and now are playing confident

We always look shaky and unsure this year. In 2021 we were very close to becoming a solidified 'heavyweight'. While we lost to the top sides at the beginning of the year, we gained belief by the end of it and had a lot of expectation in the finals. Then come finals time, we limped into September with some bad form. Irregardless, the Storm and Rabbitohs games were still a major let down, and I think if we got to play finals a month or so earlier we would've been much more competitive. The confidence took a hit and they have questioned themselves ever since; falling apart against top teams.

Still can get our mojo back, as evidenced by the Cowboys.
Seasons not over yet, but im finding it hard to watch us at the moment :whew:
I have been waiting for them to fold each week and they don’t. They’ve gone 8 games straight without conceding a point in the 20m after half time. That’s too good to be a fluke. I’m not saying they’re a premiership threat, but geez I’d love to watch Manly defend like that and be sitting third halfway through the season.

I have been waiting for them to fold each week and they don’t. They’ve gone 8 games straight without conceding a point in the 20m after half time. That’s too good to be a fluke. I’m not saying they’re a premiership threat
You have to admire the cowboys .

A young Athletic , energetic , determined , resilient and passionate group of great players

In Defence their virile forwards Hunt you down like relentless hyenus

And in attack their speedy and skilful back line carve defensive lines

The most impressive thing about the cow boys is that they are playing great footy consistently

and teams that are consistently great performers are Premiership contenders

I have been waiting for them to fold each week and they don’t. They’ve gone 8 games straight without conceding a point in the 20m after half time. That’s too good to be a fluke. I’m not saying they’re a premiership threat, but geez I’d love to watch Manly defend like that and be sitting third halfway through the season.
Our defence is abhorrent. 2nd most points conceded to the dogs I think I read!

Our defence is abhorrent. 2nd most points conceded to the dogs I think I read!
And the BIG disappointment for our players is as a team they are part of a stronger roster to than dogs and have a better coach then the dogs .

Time to pull the finger out and live up to our Legendary clubs Benchmark of Greatness

I am going to the game this week because I love our club as our club will always be greater

Than the mediocre players that represent it from time to time

And at Manly we have no time for players that can not live up to our Clubs Benchmark of Greatness

240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

Defence is about structure and trust. Coaching responsibility. But above all, attitude. Player responsibility.
All of that is bloody awful for us, most of the time. You are dead right, a team can go from bottom 4 to top 8 at least, based on defence and effort not roster.
Hurts to watch us this year.

It just seems so simple in theory what the Cowboys are doing. Have good structures, trust each other, compete on every play, don’t make stupid mistakes, and be fit enough to do it for 80 minutes. It breaks down the opposition and they score points late in the game. The same approach Penrith have taken for years.

It’s obviously not as easy to execute as it sounds otherwise everyone would be doing it. But I agree, I’d LOVE to watch us keep a team to 6 or zero points every week. It’d be bloody amazing

Defence is about structure and trust. Coaching responsibility. But above all, attitude. Player responsibility.
All of that is bloody awful for us, most of the time. You are dead right, a team can go from bottom 4 to top 8 at least, based on defence and effort not roster.
Hurts to watch us this year.
The Biggest attribute for defence is a passionate heart and attitude .

You have to admire the cowboys .

A young Athletic , energetic , determined , resilient and passionate group of great players

In Defence their virile forwards Hunt you down like relentless hyenus

And in attack their speedy and skilful back line carve defensive lines

The most impressive thing about the cow boys is that they are playing great footy consistently

and teams that are consistently great performers are Premiership contenders
The nrl season can be a funny thing as we know. Flying high one minute, lose a couple then lose that self belief, then get a few injuries and all of a sudden it’s back to the pack. I think there might be a few sides like this this season and we still have a long way to go. Sharks, cows, broncs are sides that have not sustained success for a while. They’ll have their hurdles yet. The nrl season is a marathon not a sprint and so far we are mid/back of the pack at the halfway mark. We need to start our run now and build sone momentum!

We would be playing better with Townsend in attack. defensively I agree.

The cows structures aren't even that different to ours.

Actually very similar.

They also have the 9 and 13 doing 90 percent of the defending in the ruck.

Ohh but remember how much we paid DCE n Turbo.

Not that different.
Holmes on a mill a year. Didn't even play last night.
JT on a mill a year.

The big difference between the sides is not roster, it's attitude, and between the ears.

The cows structures aren't even that different to ours.

Actually very similar.

They also have the 9 and 13 doing 90 percent of the defending in the ruck.

Ohh but remember how much we paid DCE n Turbo.

Not that different.
Holmes on a mill a year. Didn't even play last night.
JT on a mill a year.

The big difference between the sides is not roster, it's attitude, and between the ears.
And coach??

The thing to give credit to Cows on, they are playing to their ability and are buying in to a man.
Not so much think they are showing Manly much, more showing Manly up....for not turning up.
The Cows compete every play and have good tempo over the 80 minutes.
They also have more numbers in attack and defence almost every play and the blokes not involved in the action play (contact), are still doing their jobs - resetting, talking, heads up to the opposition, winning time with ruck control and all those 1% that add up.
I actually think they have exciting youngsters pouring through at the same time, which is integral to play alongside your Taumoulolo, Holmes ect and do "more" than just make up the numbers and in fact, actually make an impact - their squad should not be underestimated.....still off the Storm/Penrith sides like everyone else, but won't hold up the white flag against the big guns like most do.
They are well balanced with a good flow between a willing, versatile forward pack and a steady backline with a couple of game breakers and the word "Energy" is definitely with them across the park from 1 - 17.
The Cows team is not really comparable with Manly atm, as the "energy" to compete in every contact is too 1 sided and personally I feel though we look every bit as good on paper or maybe a bit better, we have players who are in their twilight, injury prone, inconsistent, unmotivated and sadly a few quality players who are having a real dig, but simply out of form.
The way out is simple but hard, roll up the sleeves and cop the kicks, but keep on getting up....if the players can go to war and win, it will boost the remainder of the season, but the toughness is a big part of fatigue and winning momentum OR, controlling it.
I think we play the Cows soon so will be an interesting game as we know what Cowboys will show up, but the uncertainty is which Manly team is going to show up ??

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4