Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Don’t give a toss about death rates
Bear They have no idea how many have it or will get it and never will because 90 percent of people get a sniffle or are asymptomstic.
H1N1 Infected 60 million Americans and killed 25000 Americans and also killed 500000 people. That’s what matters. That is all that matters. And mostly the NON ELDERlY. because the old had immunity due to previous exposure.
If anyone wants to bet this will kill 500000 with the partial lockdown we have please call me.
A TOTAL lockdown with no vaccine will be unimaginable

Because if it doesn’t reach those levels with the current policies then they will have to explain why the world does not look like post 2009 and instead looks like hell on earth if no vaccinE in 6 months. Total lockdown then I don’t really want to imagine that.

Susan, all I can say is this. Every medical authority in the world we hear of and every government is taking this damned seriously. It doesnt matter if we as people with limited knowledge about the issue, get our nose out of joint, and have an opinion contrary to those who are experts. The point is the World in general is taking this damned seriously.

I love watching football. I love watching cricket. But in reality these are just fun side entertainment in lives that have far more importance.

I understand the Premier is about to close restaurants, gyms, clubs and maybe schools, universities etc, which upsets my routine given I attend gym 3-4 times weekly and sit out front of a take away Turkish restaurant for an hour six days weekly indulging in their excellent coffee. I also wanted to see my nephew married in May in Melbourne, which I've had to cancel. But my personal desires are irrelevant for the benefit of the whole. And economically this could lead to recession. But the alternatives are far worse, whether we as back seat observers think so or not.

Even if the NRL carnival settles into a secured estate in the middle of outback QLD with FOX tv crews, the optics of having footy going on while the rest of the country is in crisis will kill off the NRL plans anyway.
I disagree with this statement. I believe RL is providing real entertainment and relief in a time of panic and boredom.
We are in full lockdown in the Philippines and I was told this morning to buy all food in my subdivision and if I left I would not be allowed back in.
RL is getting worldwide exposure it would not have had otherwise. My American friends here are streaming it and are impressed.
I guess everything depends on how you look at it.

Another reason to take all this very seriously.

I worked in a government department for over three decades. I was also heavily involved in union activity and was at one stage a union head negotiating with Department heads and Government ministers. One thing you learn at that level, other than the fact that they can be very ruthless, is that they will down play issues rather than allow too much information that may be detrimental, to be revealed. And that makes sense, because they are trying to avoid panic and especially behaviour effecting economic stability. Say too much about an issue that is potentially very dangerous and there's a rush on the banks.

Suggestions that 'they' meaning the medical community and governments, dont really know enough about this disease is quite right. But they know enough to want to shut down communities world wide. They know a lot more about this than we do, and their reaction suggests they are scared, but they dont want you to know how scared. The only country that has effectively addressed the situation so far is China, by virtually closing down the country (check out satellite photos of the huge drop in smog). Some would say that they are hiding the facts, but if that's the case it merely reinforces the fact that there is a big problem. Check out Trump's sudden reverse on his earlier comments after he had been effectively informed.

Governments are not going to take the action they are taking unless there is a big problem. They cant afford it economically. The fact they are doing it shows that the problem is bigger than the economic consequences. They are getting their information from experts. All we have are sanitised explanations. Only conspiracy addicts are questioning the action. But then you have to ask, for what benefit when the whole world is being economically effected. They know more about this than we do, and their actions tell us to take it seriously

I live in the Philippines and it is hot as hell and the infection rate here is currently 217 out of the 100+ million population.
We are in full lockdown in the Philippines and I was told this morning to buy all food in my subdivision and if I left I would not be allowed back in.
If there's only a couple hundred people infected then the lockdown might actually be efffective?

Victoria , NSW to effectively “ shut down” effective Tuesday , you’d say every state will be the same.

No work
No transport of any kind
Total isolation

Exceptions , food stores , chemists , medical centres.

Question , if the AFL shuts down ( as expected due to the SA & VIC border closures) then how can we operate considering the Storm are based in Melbourne??

if they want to keep operating them the only option would appear to be basing all the teams in one state ( maybe in QLD at Townsville).

AFL.........gooorne

Attachments

• 7105BB31-6CD8-46BA-B98F-F9B373AE7764.png
    7105BB31-6CD8-46BA-B98F-F9B373AE7764.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 8
Another reason to take all this very seriously.

I worked in a government department for over three decades. I was also heavily involved in union activity and was at one stage a union head negotiating with Department heads and Government ministers. One thing you learn at that level, other than the fact that they can be very ruthless, is that they will down play issues rather than allow too much information that may be detrimental, to be revealed. And that makes sense, because they are trying to avoid panic and especially behaviour effecting economic stability. Say too much about an issue that is potentially very dangerous and there's a rush on the banks.

Suggestions that 'they' meaning the medical community and governments, dont really know enough about this disease is quite right. But they know enough to want to shut down communities world wide. They know a lot more about this than we do, and their reaction suggests they are scared, but they dont want you to know how scared. The only country that has effectively addressed the situation so far is China, by virtually closing down the country (check out satellite photos of the huge drop in smog). Some would say that they are hiding the facts, but if that's the case it merely reinforces the fact that there is a big problem. Check out Trump's sudden reverse on his earlier comments after he had been effectively informed.

Governments are not going to take the action they are taking unless there is a big problem. They cant afford it economically. The fact they are doing it shows that the problem is bigger than the economic consequences. They are getting their information from experts. All we have are sanitised explanations. Only conspiracy addicts are questioning the action. But then you have to ask, for what benefit when the whole world is being economically effected. They know more about this than we do, and their actions tell us to take it seriously
I've thought this all along. Now, apart from the huge medical challenge, the trick will be to get those payments out to people who can't work - asap. This really worries me because all reports suggest that Centrelink has been all but uncontactable prior to this. What are your thoughts Bear?

Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

Within a week, countries around the world have gone from: “This coronavirus thing is not a big deal” to declaring the state of emergency. Yet many countries are still not doing much. Why?

Every country is asking the same question: How should we respond? The answer is not obvious to them.

Some countries, like France, Spain or Philippines, have since ordered heavy lockdowns. Others, like the US, UK, or Switzerland, have dragged their feet, hesitantly venturing into social distancing measures.

Cant see the NRL being played next week.
Time to suspended the game for 2 months and come back with a revised shorten draw playing each team once if everything has settled down by then.

A single diagnosis for a staff member, coach or player and the season is likely going to be postponed anyway.

After the AFL season has been postponed I think it is inevitable NRL will also go the same way, regardless of the financial consequences.

If there's only a couple hundred people infected then the lockdown might actually be efffective?
The lockdown only started yesterday, Almost no containment methods were enacted here before 1 week ago. Published infected and mortality rates have hardly risen since stats have started being shown. I'm sure the testing rate is almost non-existent. The "published" infected and death rates are very low for a 100+ million residents and are very dubious. Published death rate per infection is very high. But any way you look at it the virus spread is very slow here. i suspect through climate far more than good management. the biggest crowds here are pawn shops and money transfer outlets.

Just some FYI.

I spoke to a couple of friends of mine who are nurses in major hospitals, one here in Adelaide, the other in Hobart.

The 27 degrees or above being bad for covid-19 theory is a myth. Hospital staff are being briefed daily, sometimes more, and this was one of the things they have been told. Without preventative measures you're just as much at risk living in the tropics as you are the north or south poles as far as temperature and climate are concerned.

Just some FYI.

I spoke to a couple of friends of mine who are nurses in major hospitals, one here in Adelaide, the other in Hobart.

The 27 degrees or above being bad for covid-19 theory is a myth. Hospital staff are being briefed daily, sometimes more, and this was one of the things they have been told. Without preventative measures you're just as much at risk living in the tropics as you are the north or south poles as far as temperature and climate are concerned.

Raising the temperature AFTER the virus has gotten a hold may do nothing but can these mythbusters explain why countries in tropical climates have such low infection rates compared to warmer climes,? Especially considering most are poorer countries and residents live in eachothers pockets and being globally pretty close to the virus' known origin?
Can they explain why India has a population of over 1.2 billion people living in extremely close quarters and there are only 315 known cases and 4 deaths?

Enquiring minds would love to hear their answers.

Raising the temperature AFTER the virus has gotten a hold may do nothing but can these mythbusters explain why countries in tropical climates have such low infection rates compared to warmer climes,? Especially considering most are poorer countries and residents live in eachothers pockets and being globally pretty close to the virus' known origin?
Can they explain why India has a population of over 1.2 billion people living in extremely close quarters and there are only 315 known cases and 4 deaths?

Enquiring minds would love to hear their answers.

How many people have actually traveled to those countries since this thing started? If the federal government had immediately closed our borders weeks ago when this thing all started we'd be virtually virus free right now because every case here has been linked to those who have recently entered the country.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8