Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don’t think anyone under the age of 30 actually watch ( or listen ) to a full news show.

Funny but I probably watch / listen to a couple of hours a day, all different sources so you get some sort of balance.
I scroll through abc news online, can generally get the gist in only a few minutes. Haven't watched a tv evening news show in many years.

I scroll through abc news online, can generally get the gist in only a few minutes. Haven't watched a tv evening news show in many years.

I enjoy the news but you have to watch more than one to get a balance. The ABC is left , Sky is right , Channel 7 leans to the left , SBS is left but not extreme.

SBS is good as it covers news from around the world.

I’d much rather watch the news than any reality TV which is absolute garbage.

It makes a big difference if people take responsibility for themselves and think about others - if you feel unwell, stay home and those who manage teams should actively promote this (OK, enough preaching from me...).

This sentence is the kicker.
It seems most aren't thinking of others.
With the way stocks are it's an every man for himself mentality and then the average Joe feels guilty or self conscious if it happens to be shopping time.

Like really? If you happen to be quarantined for 2-3 weeks how much dunny paper, sanitary items rice etc does one intend to go through?

This sentence is the kicker.
It seems most aren't thinking of others.
With the way stocks are it's an every man for himself mentality and then the average Joe feels guilty or self conscious if it happens to be shopping time.

Like really? If you happen to be quarantined for 2-3 weeks how much dunny paper, sanitary items rice etc does one intend to go through?

My daughter was not feeling well (sore tummy etc) and we were out of kids panadol....4 chemists later and we found the one bottle I was looking for.

It is sad that people are being so selfish here rather than using what they need and leaving enough for others.

My daughter was not feeling well (sore tummy etc) and we were out of kids panadol....4 chemists later and we found the one bottle I was looking for.

It is sad that people are being so selfish here rather than using what they need and leaving enough for others.

Sorry should add we could have bought up to 4 bottles.....did not see the need or the point

Haha I just heard a reassuring comment on the radio news, someone (not sure if a health expert or politician) quoted saying, "There is no need to panic", then adding "at this stage". Lol I'm sure we'll all be alerted when it's time to panic.

Haha I just heard a reassuring comment on the radio news, someone (not sure if a health expert or politician) quoted saying, "There is no need to panic", then adding "at this stage". Lol I'm sure we'll all be alerted when it's time to panic.
If we start the season 0-3 I'll start to panic!

My wife and I just did the weekly food shop, no panic buying just the same stuff we buy each week.

Pasta .......nup all sold out , bugger.

Rice..........ditto all gone, bugger bugger

Canned Peaches for my Weetbix.........no sorry all canned fruit sold out yesterday, whoops

Toilet Paper......you are kidding aren’t you, we had 200 lined up at 8am this morning for our remaining 40 x 4 packs and had the have a security guard in to stop them fighting over it.......seriously are you for real???.....Yep , maybe try Aldi, Coles were the same.

UHT milk ( we’ve become some used to this our travels we use it all the time )......nope sorry , we are all out of that too!!

Canned Tuna / Salmon .......healthy lunch on some salad in a bowl.....nup sorry that’s gone as well.

We don’t need nappies but I did stroll down that aisle and yep bad luck if you have a baby!!

FMD people what’s wrong with you........0.000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population is sick!!

I don’t think anyone under the age of 30 actually watch ( or listen ) to a full news show.

Funny but I probably watch / listen to a couple of hours a day, all different sources so you get some sort of balance.
I hardly watch the news now. But I only have to ring the old man. He listens to multiple talk back radio stations. The only time the wireless gets turned off is when the news is on. And he’ll watch a buffet of different news. And that’s exactly why he does @Mark from Brisbane . You then are able to get a centrist opinion on what’s going on.

I enjoy the news but you have to watch more than one to get a balance. The ABC is left , Sky is right , Channel 7 leans to the left , SBS is left but not extreme.

SBS is good as it covers news from around the world.

I’d much rather watch the news than any reality TV which is absolute garbage.
I’m not making this up. I was talking to the old man today, and he reckons SBS are his favourite. Yes, a little left. (Nothing like the ABC....except the Black Comedy series....fuucked if I know how they got that past the powers that be). He watches Sky sometimes (he calls it "your station"....he knows me well. ) You and my old man would get on well.@:)

C80D8CD3-E88A-4C1E-9A15-2A2CB3F5C4B6.jpeg

My wife and I just did the weekly food shop, no panic buying just the same stuff we buy each week.

Pasta .......nup all sold out , bugger.

Rice..........ditto all gone, bugger bugger

Canned Peaches for my Weetbix.........no sorry all canned fruit sold out yesterday, whoops

Toilet Paper......you are kidding aren’t you, we had 200 lined up at 8am this morning for our remaining 40 x 4 packs and had the have a security guard in to stop them fighting over it.......seriously are you for real???.....Yep , maybe try Aldi, Coles were the same.

UHT milk ( we’ve become some used to this our travels we use it all the time )......nope sorry , we are all out of that too!!

Canned Tuna / Salmon .......healthy lunch on some salad in a bowl.....nup sorry that’s gone as well.

We don’t need nappies but I did stroll down that aisle and yep bad luck if you have a baby!!

FMD people what’s wrong with you........0.000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population is sick!!

Plenty of everything 'here' but then again we're smarter than you lot :p

I just love how the news thrives on all the bad stuff going on anywhere and everywhere.
It should be called the bad news channel. The world would be a better place if we were not fed bad news every day. I stopped watching the bad news channels a long time ago and simply skim the news websites to see what crap they are feeding rather than read the detail. Some of the news stories today are simply twisted these days.

Last edited:
Thanks Ms Google >>>

JUne 2009 news story. "The Game Must Go On"
Rugby league and the 1919 Spanish 'Flu Pandemic
Sean Fagan of RL1908.com

The ‘Swine flu’ impacted on Australian sport during the winter of 2009.

In many ways the 'Swine flu' story replicates the arrival of the deadly ‘Spanish flu’ pandemic that swept the globe during 1918-20, with its impact on rugby league.

Indeed, the ‘Spanish flu’ almost brought about the demise of the QRL, while threatening the financial well-being of the NSWRL and NZRL.

The ‘Spanish flu’ arrived in Australia in early 1919, and ultimately 12,000 Australians died from it's effects. It eventually took the lives of 40 million worldwide – twice the number of people killed in World War One.

Most of the victims in Australia were young men residing in working class suburbs. Many could not afford health care or be absent from work, and lived in closely confined tenements and lodgings. Given this same group largely provided rugby league with its players and fans, the code did not escape without some interruptions.

The NSWRL had organised in late 1918 for a New Zealand team to visit Australia. The tour looked doubtful as the pandemic took hold, but in late April 1919 a NSWRL official told cable news reporters that “Despite the influenza, both as regards attendance and finance, the prospects of the tour are bright.”

The Kiwis went ahead with the tour, despite knowing that on the back of their six-day sea voyage to Sydney, they faced another week held up at the North Head Quarantine Station. Government authorities had endeavoured to control the spread of the flu by introducing quarantine measures for arrivals from other states and overseas.

Meanwhile gatherings were prohibited in closed buildings such as theatres and halls, while Sunday church services were only permitted to proceed provided worshippers wore an approved mask.

While advice was given to the public to avoid large crowds, and some outdoor events were banned, NSW and Queensland governments were very reticent to expressly prohibit popular spectator sports such as rugby league and horse racing. They did however issue very strong warnings to the public, discouraging attendance and advising of the perceived risk fans were taking.

The public though failed to see any great danger from going to the big SCG rugby league matches. The first two NSW v New Zealand contests drew a combined total of 85,000, while the opening match of the annual NSW v Queensland series brought another 35,000.

Had those games not proceeded, or been played in front of empty stands, the NSWRL and NZRL would have suffered a significant dent in their finances. For a code only just over a decade old, windfalls from big attendances provided welcome relief.

Some footballers in Sydney missed matches because of the flu, but not in sufficient numbers that led to any first grade clubs being unable to field a team. In Brisbane though a first grade game was cancelled after the West End club could not bring together sufficient players to take on Railways.

The club competition in Brisbane had been thrown into turmoil earlier in season from the 'flu. The QRL used the Exhibition Ground for its weekly Saturday matches, with double and even triple-headers played. The entirely enclosed facility meant that the League could securely charge the gate-money crucial to the on-going viability of the code.

However, on one Saturday afternoon in the late Autumn of 1919, over 2,000 fans, players and officials arrived to the find the Exhibition Ground had been suddenly turned into a temporary extension of the adjacent hospital, such were the numbers of patients who were in need of urgent care from the 'flu.

With the QRU having a firm lease on the ‘Gabba, and no other enclosed ground in Brisbane, the QRL were placed in a very precarious position financially. If they were forced to play games on unfenced fields with no grandstands or terrace seating, spectator numbers would plummet and gate-money would have to be collected “via the old bucket method.” It was a shaky predicament.

Harry Sunderland, the League’s secretary, had been looking forward to the upcoming visit of the Kiwis in particular to strengthen the code’s bank balances - the QRL had no funds left over from the limited money it took during war-time 1918.

Taking it all on his own shoulders, Sunderland mortgaged “everything I owned” to take out a loan which funded the erection of a grandstand and fencing at Davies Park.

Sunderland breathed more than a sigh a relief when a crowd of 10,000 rolled up to watch Queensland play the Kiwis in the first visit of an international team since the Englishmen of 1914. With that gate-money, Sunderland had two more makeshift grandstands erected during the next week, and the QRL profited further when another 12,000 flocked in to see the Maroons and Kiwis in a second match.

The ‘Spanish flu’ did not kill any of the current first grade players, however, it did take former North Sydney and Newcastle representative player James Walsh (brother of 1908 Kangaroo Pat ‘Nimmo’ Walsh). In Manilla (northern NSW) Dally Messenger and his wife Annie contracted the flu while running their pub, the Royal Hotel. Both fell gravely ill, and despite hospital care, Annie Messenger passed away.

In early August 1919 an Australian team was brought together in Sydney in readiness for a tour of New Zealand. With shipping still in disarray from the quarantine arrangements and with many ships still being used to bring back soldiers from Europe, the NSWRL were unable to secure passage for the Kangaroos out of Sydney.

Eventually the team were moved to Newcastle where they boarded a cargo ship for the trip to New Zealand. Once the boat left the harbour the players soon realised they would be spending the next week living amongst cockroaches and rats.

Half-way across ‘the ditch,’ bites from the ship-bred vermin led to Charles ‘Chook’ Fraser, Duncan Thompson and Ray Norman all falling victim to blood-poisoning. So dire was Norman’s condition he was hospitalised when the team arrived in Wellington.

As if that wasn’t enough, the Aussies were forced to cope with the NZRL’s sudden decision to bring the first Test forward to the next day. To their credit, the sea-worn Kangaroos did not quibble with their hosts, preferring to take out their loathing on their opponents, thrashing the Kiwis 44-21 in a runaway.

Despite the difficulties of the time, it was reckoned there was more to be gained by rugby league “playing on,” offering the public weekly relief and amusement away from their daily troubles and concerns.

Over here every time I switch the wireless on or open a newspaper I keep hearing tales of panic buying yet I'm the manager of a supermarket and haven't seen any evidence of it. It makes you wonder where the stories come from originally

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4