contract for 14yo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In the US a young baseball pitcher was offered a contact by UCLA to play with them . He was 14. Another Gridiron USC coach offered a young quaterback a contract. He was 13. It's happening quite regularly now.

Slightly off topic but ... anecdotally, minors are increasingly recruited by criminal organisations to perform the full range of criminal actions because if they are caught the penalties are much less severe.

bones said:
jbb/james said:
pretty sure 14yo's work at maccas. I read one maccas was fined recently for making a 14yo work a double shift that finished at 2.am.................I think

That story made me Grimace.

Newcastle always have been burglars.

Bearfax said:
In the US a young baseball pitcher was offered a contact by UCLA to play with them . He was 14. Another Gridiron USC coach offered a young quaterback a contract. He was 13. It's happening quite regularly now.

I know all this.

MY POINT IS, ARE THEY LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE CONTRACTS OR ARE THEY SIMPLY GARBAGE NOT WORTH THE INK AND PAPER THEY ARE PRINTED ON!

and if so why are the media so stupid as to announce a 14yo signed to a "contract"

Surely silvertails has one legal luminary amongst us. (bush lawyers not included)

This has nothing to do with us, so who the hell cares? The big issue here, as I see it is this ; What do you have against question marks Alan??? Yelling questions repeatedly won't get you the answer you're looking for. Are you considering signing a 14yo to a contract of some sort? Are you just trying to cover yourself in case this 14yo doesn't deliver?? See? Question marks rock :p

mozgrame said:
This has nothing to do with us, so who the hell cares? The big issue here, as I see it is this ; What do you have against question marks Alan??? Yelling questions repeatedly won't get you the answer you're looking for. Are you considering signing a 14yo to a contract of some sort? Are you just trying to cover yourself in case this 14yo doesn't deliver?? See? Question marks rock :p

I would like something as wide spread either clarified or ridiculed. The NRL can't even hold 30yo's to contracts what chance 14yo's. Are you stating that manly has no minors on contract or written agreements?

There were no questions in my last post, each was a statement.

I'm starting to feel that I am not so much "yelling Questions repeatedly but rather howling at the moon.

And having an enquiring mind doesn't restrict it to personal experience.

Sorry Al. I confused, "ARE THEY LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE CONTRACTS OR ARE THEY SIMPLY GARBAGE NOT WORTH THE INK AND PAPER THEY ARE PRINTED ON!".

and

"if so why are the media so stupid as to announce a 14yo signed to a "contract"

for questions. ARE THEY and WHY usually fall just in front of questions, hence my confusion. Please, carry on with your enquiries in the hope of quenching your endless thirst for contractual agreement knowledge. :)

Alan said:
mozgrame said:

I would like something as wide spread either clarified or ridiculed. The NRL can't even hold 30yo's to contracts what chance 14yo's. Are you stating that manly has no minors on contract or written agreements?

I'm starting to feel that I am not so much "yelling Questions repeatedly but rather howling at the moon.

Alan why don't you simply follow the link I posted for you yesterday, have a look at the legislation and tell us what you think it means?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Alan said:
mozgrame said:

Alan why don't you simply follow the link I posted for you yesterday, have a look at the legislation and tell us what you think it means?

We don't have time to get into all that, I haven't even worked out this weeks tips yet. (See what I did there????) LOL! That's funny from at least 2 different angles. :D

Alan said:
Bearfax said:

I know all this.

MY POINT IS, ARE THEY LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE CONTRACTS OR ARE THEY SIMPLY GARBAGE NOT WORTH THE INK AND PAPER THEY ARE PRINTED ON!

and if so why are the media so stupid as to announce a 14yo signed to a "contract"

Surely silvertails has one legal luminary amongst us. (bush lawyers not included)

I guess the question is Alan, are any contracts legally enforceable? My limited legal knowledge tells me that you cant force anyone to comply with all of the agreements made as conditions of a contract and that any contract can be broken, whether it be a football contract, a marriage contract, a train ticket contract. The question to be asked if the contract is broken is what legally enforceable compensation can be then sought for breach of the contract. As for children signing contracts, I would suggest that is illegal to start, without the counter signature of the parents or a legally agreed to adult guardian.

At risk of stifling this wide ranging "to and fro", there is an answer. As long as ac ontract is reasonably seen to be of benefit to the minor they can sign (eg not exploitation) -

MINORS (PROPERTY AND CONTRACTS) ACT 1970 - SECT 27

Approval of contract or disposition
27 Approval of contract or disposition

(1) A contract made by a minor or a disposition of property made by or to a minor pursuant to an approval under this section is presumptively binding on the minor.
(2) The Local Court may, on application by a minor, by order approve a contract proposed to be made by a minor or a disposition of property proposed to be made by or to a minor.
(4) The Local Court may make an order under this section on such terms and conditions as the Court thinks fit.
(5) The Local Court shall not make an order under this section unless it appears to the Court that:
(a) the minor would not undertake obligations under the proposed contract or dispose of property under the proposed disposition of property to the value of $10,000 or upwards, and
(b) the order is for the benefit of the minor.

I wonder if signing your name in Belgian Chocolate is legal ?

Bryce Brites is only 20 months old and can’t even properly utter the words “ball” or “goal” but he just became the youngest professional football player on the planet.:D

This past week, Bryce signed with Belgian club FC Racing Boxberg, based near his home city of Genk, after impressing coaches with his “highly unusual” talent and “incredible” ball control. The precocious toddler was invited to train with the club’s Under-5 team and was signed and issued his very own Belgian FA membership card the very same day.

Amazingly, Bryce misses out on the all-time record for youngest-ever professional by two months. That record apparently belongs to Dutch footballer Baerke van der Meij, who signed a 10-year deal with VVV-Venlo when he was 18 months old.

Racing Boxberg club secretary Dany Vodnik raved about the young prodigy, who is still in diapers, to Dutch newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws:

“Bryce kicks a ball in a way you do not even see when playing drills with four or five-year-olds. His ball control is incredible for his age. The way he dribbles with the ball at his feet between the cones, he can give a pass to the left or right.

“You ask him to kick a ball three or five meters and he does so, but he may not play with the five and six-year-old boys yet. We must remain cautious.“

Given Belgium’s embarrassment of riches in footballing talent recently, Bryce might just live up to the hype in about 15 years or so. But for the meantime, he will likely enjoy instant celebrity status on his neighborhood playgrounds.
http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/68682893052/20-month-old-baby-becomes-worlds-youngest-pro

Shoe1 said:
At risk of stifling this wide ranging "to and fro", there is an answer. As long as ac ontract is reasonably seen to be of benefit to the minor they can sign (eg not exploitation) -

MINORS (PROPERTY AND CONTRACTS) ACT 1970 - SECT 27

Approval of contract or disposition
27 Approval of contract or disposition

(1) A contract made by a minor or a disposition of property made by or to a minor pursuant to an approval under this section is presumptively binding on the minor.
(2) The Local Court may, on application by a minor, by order approve a contract proposed to be made by a minor or a disposition of property proposed to be made by or to a minor.
(4) The Local Court may make an order under this section on such terms and conditions as the Court thinks fit.
(5) The Local Court shall not make an order under this section unless it appears to the Court that:
(a) the minor would not undertake obligations under the proposed contract or dispose of property under the proposed disposition of property to the value of $10,000 or upwards, and
(b) the order is for the benefit of the minor.

in other words the Court or the State acts as guardian

Pretty sure Michael Jackson had a recording contract pre teen, as have dozens of movie and TV stars.

What's the difference??

Every signed contract is enforceable by law IF you have the time and money to play the game in the courts system. If you don't believe that, try not making your house/car/boat etc payments, and see how that works out for you.

bob dylan said:
Pretty sure Michael Jackson had a recording contract pre teen, as have dozens of movie and TV stars.

What's the difference??

None of them had to face Steve Matai!!!!

lol....crunch, cry, retire.

mozgrame said:
Every signed contract is enforceable by law IF you have the time and money to play the game in the courts system. If you don't believe that, try not making your house/car/boat etc payments, and see how that works out for you.

Sure you may be taken to court or you may pay compensation for breach of the contract, but there is nothing stopping you breaching the contract unless it comes under the criminal justice system and then you may face gaol. Otherwise its a civil matter. Of course there are consequences for you breaching the contract, but there is nothing to stop you breaching those contracts other than the issue of compensation and in some matters a fine under civil law.

Bearfax said:
mozgrame said:

Sure you may be taken to court or you may pay compensation for breach of the contract, but there is nothing stopping you breaching the contract unless it comes under the criminal justice system and then you may face gaol. Otherwise its a civil matter. Of course there are consequences for you breaching the contract, but there is nothing to stop you breaching those contracts other than the issue of compensation and in some matters a fine under civil law.

This reply is off-topic but gee it's good to see someone who knows and uses the correct word "gaol" for our Australian prison system :)

Jethro said:
This reply is off-topic but gee it's good to see someone who knows and uses the correct word "gaol" for our Australian prison system :)
Spelling errors are not jaylable offences Jethro :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6