Competitors

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Great so we have to wait till Sunday for Manly's game

What Time Is It GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

So meanwhile. I saw in the jack bird thread @Woodsie referred to him as 'a competitor', and I agree.
Not sure what Woodsie meant but to me it's a player who goes beyond doing their role, ie a worker, and has an awareness of the state of the match who when something special or something different is needed they don't sit back but want to stand up and make a play. In either attack or defence.

Mostly they end up being the 'spine' playmakers but not all. Munster is one of the best, and we've got a couple at Manly too.

For non-spine players John Bateman comes to mind. Any others?

Probably can make a type of classification between average player to competitive or really competitive to game breaker . Key to many successful sides is to get average players into the competitive or really competitive category . Every side seems to have their share of competitive players but Storm still seem to have one of the best systems to improve average players into at least the competitive or really competitive level

Competitors as you say .. have an attitude and desire .. to win, not just the game, but this tackle, this run, this kick chase ... this moment ...

They don't always get it right ... but they inspire their team mates with never give up energy ... Josh Reynolds comes to mind and even that flea Gamble ...

The Competitors Perspective Example

Competitors have no Meaning without a Benchmark

The Benchmark are teams like the Panthers that poses Dynamic Premiership winning Benchmark players like Crichton and Tago

Manly cannot be competitive with slow passive centres like Parker against the Benchmark competition

The moral of the Competitive story
You must fight fire with fire
To be able to compete in a level playing field

Brad Parker might be big and red but there is no highly flammable fire in him
NRL 2020: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles v Cronulla Sharks, Canberra ...

Is there any fukkin thread on this planet that you can't turn into a shiite on Parker bitch ... fair dinkum ... just drop off him ..

Dale Finucane

Yeah thanks hadn't thought of him but there's probably a few locks that fit the description, such as Murray and Yeo.
In attack not many outside the spine really have the ability to put on a special play. Or for that matter, even to demand the ball and get it. So more often might be a big play in defence.

I agree it's a mentality thing, sort of, 'Bugger this, I'll do it myself!" and do something to lift the team or change momentum. Haumole's tackle v Storm comes to mind. Now I think of it players like Haas, JWH and NAS seem to have that mentality.

I think Paseka might be edging into that category, I sure wish he would anyway.

Is there any fukkin thread on this planet that you can't turn into a shiite on Parker bitch ... fair dinkum ... just drop off him ..
My point is nothing personal but a passionate view on our Legendary club Becoming Premiership winners again

We aint winning a Premiership with the Parker calibre of players feathered friend

Disagree.
If we had more players with the mindset or Parker and Croker we'd be a stronger side.
These guys don't spare themselves, they may not be the most talented but you know they are going to bust their guts trying to make a difference each game.

As for the classic 'competitor', probably don't come any better than Ben Kennedy, that's exactly what he provided at Manly even though it was the tail end of his career.

I think a competitor is born, not made....it's in the blood.
They can be in the BK mould where they will rip off heads, or the quiet assasin like Jake T who will not trash talk, but will cut you in half.
Coaches can only do so much to inspire, it really comes from the fire within ones own heart.
These type of players will do anything to Win and take everything very personal, especially hard on themselves if not reaching their own lofty standards always wwanting to be better.
An example of a competitor, is the bloke who never says die, fights for every moment and will stick their head where many players are afraid to stick their feet.
Bird is this, but also a hot head which is different.....I would take him today and can assure he was very close to signing with Manly years ago when in peak form.
The good thing about competitive players is not what they do individually, but the ability to lift the blokes around them....they can't suddenly transform the team mates to be a "competitor," but definitely make them play with more attitude, belief and desire and I feel to a man - our 2008 team was close to this level nearly every game leading up to the record 40 - 0 GF win.

I think a competitor is born, not made....it's in the blood.
They can be in the BK mould where they will rip off heads, or the quiet assasin like Jake T who will not trash talk, but will cut you in half.
Coaches can only do so much to inspire, it really comes from the fire within ones own heart.
These type of players will do anything to Win and take everything very personal, especially hard on themselves if not reaching their own lofty standards always wwanting to be better.
An example of a competitor, is the bloke who never says die, fights for every moment and will stick their head where many players are afraid to stick their feet.
Bird is this, but also a hot head which is different.....I would take him today and can assure he was very close to signing with Manly years ago when in peak form.
The good thing about competitive players is not what they do individually, but the ability to lift the blokes around them....they can't suddenly transform the team mates to be a "competitor," but definitely make them play with more attitude, belief and desire and I feel to a man - our 2008 team was close to this level nearly every game leading up to the record 40 - 0 GF win.
YOu have made some good points feathered friend

At the end of the day every one competes and is a competitor

and they all have the capacity to compete at a certain level

Below is our Premiership winning Benchmark and this is the Level all our players must compete in
for us to be competitive and win our title back

Sing with me Maxta ...

Hey Hey Hey, good old Eagle Rock's here to stay,
I'm just crazy 'bout the way we move,
Doin' the Eagle Premiership winning Rock.

Eight years in the NRL: How your team fared in the 16-team competition

The Benchmark are teams like the Panthers that poses Dynamic Premiership winning Benchmark players like Crichton and Tago

Manly cannot be competitive with slow passive centres like Parker against the Benchmark competition

@BOZO tge Parker bashing is played sooooooo plaaaaaaayed………

Yawn.

The only positive that can come from this thread is if the dribble in contained in here and doesn't leak into other threads.

Thi

This is easily one of the funniest posts I’ve seen on Silvertails…the red but inflammable remark paired with an image of Parker being helped from the field is comedic gold!

On a more serious note…I agree that we are short competitors and I also agree that it’s something you don’t really train for, it’s part of a player’s personality, drive, ambition etc.

Melbourne recruit on character, Manly recruit on talent…

We should be on the look out for more competitors. We had them in abundance during our golden run.

Personally, I don’t think a competitor has to be aggressive or a forward…though they certainly can be. A competitor is a player that does all the effort areas well, hates losing and steps up when someone needs to…Jamie Lyon anyone?!

Brett Stewart was another example of a competitor who used smarts over size to win the battle. He was outstanding when it came to the heat of battle. He would ‘put himself in the game’ and back his instincts. Brilliant. He would scheme behind the play-the-ball, talk to his play makers and suggest a strategy to outwit the opposition defence and clutch victory from the jaws of defeat. A non-competitor lets that moment pass because…well…who cares?

Of course, BK was huge and there are many others. Sadly, they’ve retired!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4