Commentary in the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagleE

Reserve Grader
Watching the test match tonight, up pops one direction with joey johns. Gus Gould squeals like a teenager and says that was for his girl.
What would the next generation of kids think if they watch this game with Gould going on like a big girl. Fatty talking about Rabs bum problems and the rest of it. Won't it be really embarrassing. Channel 9 really need to look at whether they want the league and the IC need to really pull the strings in regards to commentators. No bull**** bringing the into disrepute.

Those blokes have truly lost the plot. I think Rabs referred to One Direction as the modern day Beatles. I hardly think 5 x Justin Bieber = the Beatles.

Rabs is the only professional there.
Gould acts like a child at times.
Vautin IS a child in a mans body.
Johns just goes along with whoever is acting the idiot.

But look at the other options:
Andrew Voss (he was okay).
Ray Hadley (boooooring)
Greg Alexander (Penrith Penrith Penrith Penrith Penrith Penrith and Penrith)
Laurie Daley (OMG SLATER, OMG BOYD, who are all the other guys out there)
Ben Ikin (god no!)
Kimmmorley (Isn't too bad)

About the two best commentators are the (I think it's Sky1) guys from NZ. They get so over excited over any try, and you can hear the genuine passion for Rugby League in their voices.

Most of the others take the game as a joke (or are far too onesided in their opinions). Sad really!

Why does Channel Nein think that footballers make good commentators? Let's have professional broadcast journalists, with the occasional comment from an ex-footballer.
Channel Nein is home to the hasbeens, from both league and cricket, who are taking jobs from serious, career broadcasters.

The Who said:
Why does Channel Nein think that footballers make good commentators? Let's have professional broadcast journalists, with the occasional comment from an ex-footballer.
Channel Nein is home to the hasbeens, from both league and cricket, who are taking jobs from serious, career broadcasters.

That's a good point although I think it helps to have some credibility with the commentary

Nine doesn't just footballers. They also have Hadley who was a Taxi Driver - who should have stayed in one - where his right-winged redneckism would have been more appropriate.

When Foxtel paid huge money for the AFL rights the CEO made it very clear that it was not only the footy they were getting to increase uptake in subscriptions,he also mentioned the great value they got from the long running spinoffs they have created like on the couch,afl insiders,AFL Teams etc and this contributed to the amount they paid as they treated the whole thing as a football package.

These shows are so much more professional than the league rubbish with a good combination of ex players and senior journalists.We have idiots like Matt Johns,Gordon Tallis,Geyer,Gasnier etc.The afl throw the odd idiot in to lighten things up but in general the shows are well presented and interesting.Ours,including CH 9, are based on supposedly amusing the lowest common denominator and are frankly nothing short of embarrasing.Other than Brandy they are all worthless.Even the journalists they use are total fools like Kent and Webster.

I m not a fan of AFL in any real way but I quite enjoy the discussion shows on Fox.Given that Fox has a vested interest in promoting league I just cant fathom why they dont try to replicate their AFL programming with some better fair than Johns and co provide.Im sure their are some far more interesting and presentable players and coaches out there who would jump at the chance.DanielAnderson from the ABC would be a good start.

I dont mean a dedicated Channel as we are not as crazy as the Mexicans for our sport but simply some serious analysis conducted in a professional manner by a combination of senior journalist/coaches/players.

MrInvisible said:
Brandy Alexander is one of the best unbiased commentators IMO.
Unless he's specifically asked by his co-commentators, he doesn't mention Penrith.

wombatgc said:
MrInvisible said:
Brandy Alexander is one of the best unbiased commentators IMO.
Unless he's specifically asked by his co-commentators, he doesn't mention Penrith.

Greg Alexander is ok by me...but what would I know. I still can't understand why they dumped Wayne Pearce and bought in a meathead like Mark Geyer.

Andrew Moore , Greg Alexander and Sterlo .

That would see footy back to how it should be called.

Used to like Gould's insight but I agree, he seems to be losing the plot these days. His inane comments are starting to outweigh the insightful stuff. Same goes for Fittler and Johns. Great footballing minds but more tomfoolery than insight. Their attempts at humour are lamer than schoolboy stuff. Daley's footballing prowess hasn't followed him into the commentary box. He states the obvious or rides the team in front. Period. Sterling and Alexander are the only two who seem to maintain a semblance of dignity and proffesionalism.

The Nein commentators look foolish every time they are forced to advertise or cross-promote and gambling ads are just plain wrong during the game. Plenty of kids watch footy and it sends the wrong message.

I enjoy the English commentators. Yeah, they're as biased as when calling games involving Australia but I would be too after decades of being on the wrong end of hidings. They're passionate about footy and it shows. Love the way they say, "Great pus, great pus" in that broad English accent.

Boozo said:
Used to like Gould's insight but I agree, he seems to be losing the plot these days. His inane comments are starting to outweigh the insightful stuff. Same goes for Fittler and Johns. Great footballing minds but more tomfoolery than insight. Their attempts at humour are lamer than schoolboy stuff. Daley's footballing prowess hasn't followed him into the commentary box. He states the obvious or rides the team in front. Period. Sterling and Alexander are the only two who seem to maintain a semblance of dignity and proffesionalism.

The Nein commentators look foolish every time they are forced to advertise or cross-promote and gambling ads are just plain wrong during the game. Plenty of kids watch footy and it sends the wrong message.

I enjoy the English commentators. Yeah, they're as biased as when calling games involving Australia but I would be too after decades of being on the wrong end of hidings. They're passionate about footy and it shows. Love the way they say, "Great pus, great pus" in that broad English accent.

I was just about to use the English commentators to prove that things could be worse. They are terrible. They don't watch the game. Every second thing they say is just plain wrong.
I think the older school style of commentary the poms have is better but the individuals they have to do it are awful.

I think they have the right people now, but they have them doing it the wrong way. Cut the attempted humor crap out, and just comment on the game. They all know their stuff. It's just a matter of them doing the job they are meant to be doing.

bones said:
I think they have the right people now, but they have them doing it the wrong way. Cut the attempted humor crap out, and just comment on the game. They all know their stuff. It's just a matter of them doing the job they are meant to be doing.

The right people?? Lockyer can't talk, and when he does whisper something its platitudes; Johns has a speech impediment; Fittler is addled from too many hits in the head; Gould used to be insightful, but has become weird... Sterling is by far the best. He does try to talk football, and makes sense when the rest of them seem to be auditioning for the Melbourne Comedy Festival - and bombing!

Duff said:
Boozo said:

I was just about to use the English commentators to prove that things could be worse. They are terrible. They don't watch the game. Every second thing they say is just plain wrong.
I think the older school style of commentary the poms have is better but the individuals they have to do it are awful.
I agree to a certain extent Duff. There's precious little football insight from the Pommy commentators but I guess I just love the atmosphere and their accents and the absence of schoolboy humour.

Maybe I just reminisce about the old style stuff when footy was more tribal and less of a business.

Having said that I much prefer Australian RL and nothing but nothing beats watching the mighty Sea Eagles play.

heard rabbits on newcastle radio this week saying that during a game he has looked over to gus & gus will be texting while the game is on! said there are times where he couldn't engage in a conversation with gould because he was too busy texting to watch the game

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6