Coaching staff to blame more than the players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Moops, Ryan, I respect your views, but a couple of points I think should be made -

Hasler in his first season, even allowing for the difference in quality of the playing roster, never had to cope with:

1. His predecessor leaving with about half the coaching staff;

2. Constant speculation, some of it (possibly) emanating from within the Club, re: players leaving to follow the coach or head somewhere else. That is still going on now, with speculation about Kite's future;

3. The club challenge in the UK, which he told the players to enjoy as their reward for winning the GF here - because the events of the previous October/November largely robbed them of that sensation. That was a clever move by Toovey, irrespective of the loss in that game;

4. Playing the first five rounds or so away from home;

5. Injuries and suspensions to key players that were the worst they've had for at least two seasons and certainly weren't experienced in 2008 or 2011; and

6. A representative commitment which Hasler probably didn't have to cope with until the 2009 season.

Not forgetting off-field issues that year, the team performed better in 2012 under a rookie coach than under Hasler in 2009 - his 6th as a first grade coach. Manly finished on 32 points in 2009 and bowed out in the first week, admittedly under a different finals system. In 2012, they finished on 36 points and lasted until the third week with injuries and suspensions to cope with. Still a very commendable effort, final result notwithstanding.

Some excellent points Phantar and after a few days the "emotions" are flying through the keyboard fingers lol

The only one's to blame here are the people who allowed the best coach in the modern era to jump ship to another club and the results are there for all to see.

silver said:
We can all blame the players but some questions must be asked of the coaching staff!
1. Every league loving person I know says T-Rex is not an 80 minute player - Hasler never used him as an 80 minute player! Nor as a battering ram.
2. Our forwards run like crabs instead of running dead straight trying to get over the advantage line.
3. Instead of trying to pass the ball around Melbourne, play them up the middle where they have a sub standard forward pack.
4. Play simple error free settlers in the first 3 tackles... Get them on the back foot and then think what to do next.

Yep, I blame it on Peter Sharp all those years ago!

We were nervous and were not prepared for the speed of their line which was incredible. Honestly they were red hot and all talking and thinking exposing every weakness. Our worst game in many years and one of their best. Not much you can do about that really

Daniel said:
We were nervous and were not prepared for the speed of their line which was incredible.

The Storm isolated Manly before the kick off, made sure they were uncomfortable - they warmed up at the opposite end of the field to where the supporters were. Professional and clinical from the start

Mal Cochrane said:
Keep in mind, Hasler started off with an average roster at manly.

He had an excellent roster in 2009 and 2010.

Huge learning curve for Toovey this year, and the experience will stand him in good stead. He will be a far better coach next year. The only question in my mind about how far Toovey can go as a coach, is, how much does he really want it? It seems one needs an obsessive streak these days to get to the top level as an NRL coach.

The people on here bagging Tooves after 1 year are a disgrace. He stepped up and took the reigns when our former coach up and left for more money.
After a incredibly tough season he got us a game within another GF. Sure we were inconsistent but there were plenty of excuses (contracts/injuries/suspensions).

Last time we played Melb in finals when The Messiah was coach we also got pumped 40-12. Were people giving to Des ??

Tooves deserves a couple if years as coach to put his stamp on things and we can judge him then. One things for sure he'd never F*** us over like the previous bloke did.

Toovey has been brilliant in:
1. Resigning the whole of the best spine in the NRL despite the uncertainty of both Des and the board. No strong spine no finals.
2. identifying and choosing Taufua over Oldfield and Whare. At the time he did it I would have chosen Whare. But Toovey was right.
3. Identifying and signing some of the best young talent to try and set us up for the future. Which of the "aging" players would any of us have had him let go and who could he have anyway? We now appear to have the next generation.
4. Choosing fa'oso for next year. Should be a good return on investment.
5. Getting us to within one win of grand final despite souths dogs cowboys raiders having best run in years and our huge injury and contractual issues.
6. Letting tRex go. Someone had to and he was best choice.
7. Playing Buehrer the way he has is good long term planning if we are ever without Ballin.

My only issue with him was the way he played tRex. We all know he is in and out of games. So toovey needs to deal what he is and play with his strengths which are impact.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4