Club news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They’ve been one of the NRL’s most hated teams for years, and now the Sea Eagles are taking over the Beaches to celebrate their 75th season.

Michael Carayannis

March 2, 2021 - 7:57PM

Cliff Lyons describes having a flag bearing his name and image flying across the northern beaches as ‘the same feeling as running out for Manly’.

Fellow Sea Eagles legends including Ken Arthurson and Max Krilich were on hand to launch Manly’s walk of fame as part of the club’s 75th season celebrations on Tuesday afternoon. The northern beaches iconic foreshore – from Manly to Queenscliff Surf Clubs and along the North Steyne promenade will feature flags celebrating the history of the club.

The 68 players who wore the Manly jersey for 100 or more matches will be honoured. Eight banners acknowledging the club’s premiership success will also be flown.

“I’m thrilled about it and it looks awesome,” Lyons said. “The hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It makes you so proud. It’s certainly it’s a great club. I fell in love with the joint as soon as I came here.

“I feel like my career has been a never-ending story. Even though I played at another club, I’ve been here for most of my life. I know how the likes of the Trbojevic boys feel.

“It’s a special club.”

Manly legends Cliff Lyons, Ken Arthurson and Max Krilich feature along the ‘Walk of Fame’ for the clubs 75th anniversary. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Manly legends Cliff Lyons, Ken Arthurson and Max Krilich feature along the ‘Walk of Fame’ for the clubs 75th anniversary. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Manly have had some memorable jumpers over the years with Lyons featuring in two of the five strips - 1987 and 1995 - selected by our expert panel as the Sea Eagles’ best in our campaign to find every NRL club’s best jersey.

The first Sea Eagles player to reach the 100 game milestone Gordon Willoughby will feature alongside the likes of Lyons, the most capped Sea Eagle with 309 games, right through to the most recent being prop Marty Taupau.

A ninth flag will carry the names of the 623 players who have played a first grade game for the Sea Eagles with their membership catchcry of “leave your legacy”.

Manly chief executive Stephen Humphreys said the walk of fame was just one element of what is planned this year.

“We were thinking through a whole range of options to celebrate our 75th year in the top grade,” Humphreys said. “We were thinking about iconic moments, iconic venues and achievements. From that brainstorming we settled on Manly Beach front as the image people think about when they think of Manly. It’s ours. We are fortunate to have such a fantastic location in our district.

“We wanted to mark our territory and dominate that iconic space. Thousands of people that make that walk from Queenscliff to Manly will see the players. We have the eight premiership successes in the central area right opposite Manly Corso. We will encourage our fans to get down there.

“We have plans also put up flags in other spots as we get further into the year right across the northern beaches.”

The banners should remain up for at least a month. The Sea Eagles are planning a range of events this year to celebrate their milestone. A 10 year reunion for the 2011 premiership winning side is also in the works

Congratulations to the Manly marketing team, who often cop some criticism for not doing enough to promote the club. You have done a sterling job with this, and the match in Mudgee.
I imagine its a very small team with limited resources and budgets -- especially compared to those at Leagues Club-funded clubs -- so I salute you.

They’ve been one of the NRL’s most hated teams for years, and now the Sea Eagles are taking over the Beaches to celebrate their 75th season.

Michael Carayannis

Cliff Lyons describes having a flag bearing his name and image flying across the northern beaches as ‘the same feeling as running out for Manly’.

Fellow Sea Eagles legends including Ken Arthurson and Max Krilich were on hand to launch Manly’s walk of fame as part of the club’s 75th season celebrations on Tuesday afternoon. The northern beaches iconic foreshore – from Manly to Queenscliff Surf Clubs and along the North Steyne promenade will feature flags celebrating the history of the club.

The 68 players who wore the Manly jersey for 100 or more matches will be honoured. Eight banners acknowledging the club’s premiership success will also be flown.

“I’m thrilled about it and it looks awesome,” Lyons said. “The hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It makes you so proud. It’s certainly it’s a great club. I fell in love with the joint as soon as I came here.

“I feel like my career has been a never-ending story. Even though I played at another club, I’ve been here for most of my life. I know how the likes of the Trbojevic boys feel.

“It’s a special club.”

View attachment 17129

Manly have had some memorable jumpers over the years with Lyons featuring in two of the five strips - 1987 and 1995 - selected by our expert panel as the Sea Eagles’ best in our campaign to find every NRL club’s best jersey.

The first Sea Eagles player to reach the 100 game milestone Gordon Willoughby will feature alongside the likes of Lyons, the most capped Sea Eagle with 309 games, right through to the most recent being prop Marty Taupau.

A ninth flag will carry the names of the 623 players who have played a first grade game for the Sea Eagles with their membership catchcry of “leave your legacy”.

Manly chief executive Stephen Humphreys said the walk of fame was just one element of what is planned this year.

“We were thinking through a whole range of options to celebrate our 75th year in the top grade,” Humphreys said. “We were thinking about iconic moments, iconic venues and achievements. From that brainstorming we settled on Manly Beach front as the image people think about when they think of Manly. It’s ours. We are fortunate to have such a fantastic location in our district.

“We wanted to mark our territory and dominate that iconic space. Thousands of people that make that walk from Queenscliff to Manly will see the players. We have the eight premiership successes in the central area right opposite Manly Corso. We will encourage our fans to get down there.

“We have plans also put up flags in other spots as we get further into the year right across the northern beaches.”

The banners should remain up for at least a month. The Sea Eagles are planning a range of events this year to celebrate their milestone. A 10 year reunion for the 2011 premiership winning side is also in the works

Ah the ole 'hated' team along with the headline '75 years of hatred'

It doesn't 'really' bother me because peanut brained cowards do what sports journos do...

But in a teams 75th, one would just hope that there could be a modicum of respect shown for the achievement.

Carayannis, you're a gutless toad. Join up here and show that you're not.

~no one...no one hold their breath~ sports 'journos' can only lurk and steal.

edit:

Well done MANLY though and to all the players honoured with flags!

Congratulations to the Manly marketing team, who often cop some criticism for not doing enough to promote the club. You have done a sterling job with this, and the match in Mudgee.
I imagine its a very small team with limited resources and budgets -- especially compared to those at Leagues Club-funded clubs -- so I salute you.
Feedback passed on and greatly appreciated. Yes they are a small but passionate bunch who run it on the smell of an oily rag

Feedback passed on and greatly appreciated. Yes they are a small but passionate bunch who run it on the smell of an oily rag
Speaking of feed back....
Congratulations also to our Great Media Man Cuzzo who's passionate work for our Legendary club is admirable .
I have had the pleasure in meeting him in and dealing with him and talking to him and he is a Great asset to our Great club.
LOVE YOUR WORK CUZZO !

Michael Carayannis

“It’s a special club.”

View attachment 17129

UNBREAKABLE BONDS
PRICELESS MOMENTS
TIMELESS MEMORIES
ENDLESS JOY

THE LEGENDARY MANLY SEA EAGLES CLUB KEEPS LIVING AND GIVING THROUGH THE GENEROSITY OF PASSIONATE MANLY PEOPLES HEARTS

1614679861235.png

EmG8ZOOVoAE4gM6 (1).jpg

Pics from launch this afternoon

Pics from launch this afternoon

Hope des has not organised a few Sprint training sessions for the cameras on the corso this evening to show of how fast our squad is :):):)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4