Club news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Here is an article from the Big League 1975.View attachment 16764View attachment 16765
Interesting interview . Hard and tough and proven competitor at all levels and was a key in those first lot of Manly titles . Not too sure about the suggestion that being a close knit unit played a bit part in that impressive run of South 's titles back in the late sixties , early seventies , more like that they were choc a block with internationals . Also not too sure about any suggestion of disharmony in the Manly camp just before he left , especially at that professional level , do not have to be and not expected to be best mates with all of your team personal , just expected to put in every match and play as a team . Really no different now or any time

Could it be a junior Daniel Ala - see posts #1543 and #1549 here - both have similar strapping on same knee?!
Looks a good size and training with the top squad. Not named as a development player but appears to be featuring heavily. Interesting.

Here is an article from the Big League 1975.View attachment 16764View attachment 16765
Sounds like he was not popular with the boys, and possibly punted.

I know from my dad that the manly team of that era were staunch mates and got on the piss regularly together. I guess lurch wasn’t invited.

edit: yep, the young blokes in 75 Eadie, gartner, Randall, krilich, Thompson etc weren’t hanging out with the oldies like O’Neill. Freddy though was hanging out with the young blokes still.

Last edited:
So, just three development players which I think we already have.
Does that mean we have only one spot remaining in the top 30?
Could we simply promote, say, Tenterfield to the top 30 and add one further development player?

So, just three development players which I think we already have.
Does that mean we have only one spot remaining in the top 30?
Could we simply promote, say, Tenterfield to the top 30 and add one further development player?

It says a minimum of three development players ... which I read as you can have more ... but they won't be funded by the NRL grant ... ???

Beaver in Mudgee ahead of our 2021 road trip

Beaver did his best to bluff his way through what were some tough questions -- much more inciteful than the standard Sydney NRL interviewers. I think he should have been better versed on Manly's connections to Mudgee and any Manly players who have come from that region.
I also loved the question about whether he could pronounce the names of current Manly players, which is a nod to the dominance of Pacifica players.
Manly is lucky to have such an intelligent, well-liked former player such as Beaver to be the 'face' of the club.
I have already arranged my accommodation at Mudgee for the match; luckily I have friends who have a holiday house there and, Covid permitting, I'll be spending a long weekend with them . . . even if they weren't planning to be in town that weekend. They are now locked in!

Beaver did his best to bluff his way through what were some tough questions -- much more inciteful than the standard Sydney NRL interviewers. I think he should have been better versed on Manly's connections to Mudgee and any Manly players who have come from that region.
I also loved the question about whether he could pronounce the names of current Manly players, which is a nod to the dominance of Pacifica players.
Manly is lucky to have such an intelligent, well-liked former player such as Beaver to be the 'face' of the club.
I have already arranged my accommodation at Mudgee for the match; luckily I have friends who have a holiday house there and, Covid permitting, I'll be spending a long weekend with them . . . even if they weren't planning to be in town that weekend. They are now locked in!

Seems like a few are heading out there to the match. Accommodation is becoming slim pickings. Glad I booked as soon as the draw was out!

Catch the odd game on Fox from the 80s or even the 90s and it's really noticeable how few Tongan, Fijian, Samoan or Maori players there were. Now they dominate most NRL squads. I think Hoppa was one of Manly's first, or at least the first one whose name had me stumped, I thought it was pronounced Hop-oat!

Catch the odd game on Fox from the 80s or even the 90s and it's really noticeable how few Tongan, Fijian, Samoan or Maori players there were. Now they dominate most NRL squads. I think Hoppa was one of Manly's first, or at least the first one whose name had me stumped, I thought it was pronounced Hop-oat!
Darrell Williams, the Iro brothers and Ridge were early on. That was an easy pronunciation though. Graham Lowe was instrumental in looking towards NZ for players.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6