Choc's goal line defence and hands

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
it seems he will never play high rep stuff until he can show that he can handle big time stuff ala last years grand final debacle where he lost an aussie junper in 80 minutes

how his awareness tolet a half back cronk to score thru him must have sent shivers thru des come this finals time

his terrible pass when we were attacking to perry still sums up his deficiencies to be a star player

and that is a big shame

im sure des and choc will work on that.
maybe his lack of game time and match fitness showed up last night.
but i have noticed a trend in his game over the last few years,and that is close to the half time,he tends to make a silly error either penalty or drop ball.
i think he should be on the bench for the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes of each half.
have our bigger men on the feild at these time to start and finish the firts half strongly.

His stats don't look that bad

1st half :2nd half :total
Gets  19  7  12
Tackles 33 18 15
Missed Tackles 1 0 1
1-on-1 Tackles 0 0 0
Offloads 2 2 0
Tackle Breaks 3 1 2
Try Assists 0 0 0
Line Breaks 0 0 0
Line Break Assists 0 0 0
Errors 1 1 0
Penalties Conceded 1 1 0
Kicks 1 0 1
Kick Metres 10 0 10
All Runs 15 6 9
All Run Metres 91 34 57

When you touch the ball as much as Choc does you are bound to make a few mistakes.  We all know he is good for 1 or 2 drops per game.

I've been saying it for 3 years now....it is embarrassing that a full time professional footballer can have hands that poor. Ok so you can be a co-ord if you are a no frills prop who is just bashing it up, but if you are the main attacking weapon on the fringes for your side you MUST be able to catch. I don't know if it is repairable or not (they certainly haven't succeeded in fxing it in the last 3 years), but it's little things like this that cost you the tight games.

I agree Choc let us down badly.

Read his profile in the Manly paper, and geeze does that guy have wraps on himself.
Des needs to kick him up the arse and start Hall, and bench choc for a few weeks.

Choc is a bit like Vatuvei for the Warriors, both have their pros and cons, but both guys gernerally come out on the positive side of the ledger

Personally, i think part of his problem is how hard he runs onto the ball. He flies onto it, and if any of our ballplayers throw him a bullet, it must be hitting the target perfectly, or he will be having some issues catching it

So either he runs onto the ball a bit softer, or the ball players make their passes a bit more subtle and easier to grab

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
It's choc & beaver that tend to drop the ball more than any other players in the side it's starting to get annoying..
Agreed but you failed to mention Cuthbo as well.

Choc was well below full fitness last night. 

On the positives I thought that Mattai, Williams, Hall and Kite really went to another level last night.

On the negatives the refereeing was a joke and Melbourne shoud have been penalised at least 20 times for being offside and forward passes and snakes no try decsion was one of the worst I have seen in a long time.

Once again orford's kicking in a big game was crap.  Surely des must sit down with him and watch his efforts and devise a strategy to kick better in big games. 

Choc is always good for at least one crucial missed tackle and dropped ball per game which like last night is going to cost us games at this end of the season.  Des neeeds to deflate his ego and put him on the bench.

I would rather see Ballin moved to the second row or lock when le snack comes on as I he does as much tackling as willo but is faster and fitter and offers more in attack.   

That last comment is right Tookey. Ballin did so much work and he is worth more with the ball than Willo. Gives us two dummy half options.

Orford's kicking was crap - my guess is that the groin is not right meaning he is not hitting the pill the way he wants to.

Orford was limping on a couple of occasions last night. The fact that he is not taking the kicks at goal is a fair indication that he some distance from being 100% fit.

If we take Willo from the side, and ask Ballin to take that role on, it will probably diminish some of his work with the pill. Williamson did not take a hitup last night, but tackled himself to a standstill, 24 tackles in 32 minutes is a huge workrate

I would like to see Ballin playing 80mins some weeks and we carry an extra forward.

Willo is worth having for his rock solid defense.  Orford is a part of any problem at the moment.  His rabbit like approach to attack and his pis weak kicking is a real problem.  Surely it's time for Des to give the line kicks to anybody else.  Is the problem Ox's inability to pass on the kicking duties or does Des just not have a rational view of his kicking ability?

tookey link said:
I would rather see Ballin moved to the second row or lock when le snack comes on as I he does as much tackling as willo but is faster and fitter and offers more in attack.   

Agreed.  If it is all hands on deck for the finals I reckon we should line up as follows (we won't though).

Stewart
Williams/Bani
Bell
Matai
Robertson
Lyon
Orford
Kite
Ballin
Perry
Cuthbertson
Watmough