Cherry Evans and Walker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
DCE/ Walker this year is a weird one. They are still producing great tries with flashes on inspiration (often from Walker ) but in between times look totally lost. I've lost count of the number of times Walker shuffles across the park and looks totally lost as to what to do.... or the number of times at the end of a set DCE is in the wrong position to take a kick and our kicks look like afterthoughts. Yes we are often running the ball on the last & the run seems to be the first option so maybe that's the source of the confusion getting to our kicks ??

It's strange we look totally disjointed for long periods.......then out of nowhere a move slices the opposition wide open out of nothing and we are getting it done. Glass half full is this side has so much improvement in it it's scary. Tom is playing great but the rest of the spine Walker, DCE and Levi often seem like strangers. Yet yes we are winning games.

The secret to being a good team is winning ugly and that's what that was last night. Lot of improvement to come. To me it's a bit of a dogs breakfast at the moment....but we are getting a feed so...………….

I think Walker is doing a brilliant job in the circumstances. He is not a 5/8 and until we find a 5/8 I guess he is the answer. Certainly a better option than having Cust or Croker there.....and I am fan of both those guys. The rehearsed moves are brilliant to watch and Dylan has been instrumental in most of those moves and execution. The problem for mine and as you have identified above, is where he does not have any rehearsed moves. I think fair to say that in those situations, he looks totally and utterly lost as we have seen last night and last week. In those situations, he is about as close to a 5/8 as I am to an astronaut. This is particularly so in the opposition 10-20 metre zone. There's our problem and there's the challenge for Dessie.

We will find out on Tuesday what Des thinks about this. If he sticks with Dylan at 5/8 and replaces Suli with ????? then obviously he disagrees with me. If he moves Walker out to centre, I think he sees what most of us are all seeing.

Not sure why a lot of you just don't see the obvious.
Im a DCE supporter but even I can see Cherry is playing like a bit of a busted arse at the moment.

Why? Who knows but on the Sunday night Andrew Johns show he made a huge point that got me thinking.
He was on about the bunnies and how Cody Walker returning allowed Reynolds to play his natural game. How it removed the pressure from AR and how souths attack sparked up straight away.

They then spoke about Dylan Brown at the squeels and again he just does his job and injects himself at the right times.

So look at the top sides. They all have a no.6 who shares the burden. We dont. We have a very good footballer playing out of position who isn't a playmaker. DW can do wonderful things in bits but hes not an 80 min no.6. More like a 10 min out of 80.

Rooters have Cleary. Raiders have Wighton. Souths have Walker. Storm have Munster.

Perhaps DCE will never get back to his best but we need a no.6 who can step up and be a 60 - 70 min player instead of a 10 to help out.

I honestly believe that if DCE could go out there thinking he doesn't have to take every long kick, put in every grubber, run every play he would be back to his best.

What I meant is that DCE is really a 6, not a 7. So we have a 6 and a centre masquerading as a 6. We don't have a 7.
You could very well be right.

I just feel DCE is expected to do everything in this team ever since 2014 even when some around him don't.

Look at Andrew Johns. Probably the greatest no.7 in the last 40 years but other than 1997 what did Newcastle win? Nada. He carried that team because he was special but in the end only really had personal success in NSW and Australian colours. Why because he didn't have the troops around him at newcastle.

JT was the same at the cows. Best No.6 during past 10 years but only 1 GF win and that was at the death.

The troops around a 6 or 7 determine the success.

I don't thing the rooters would have gone back to back without Cronk do you?

DCE has stepped up in the past but is obviously struggling at this moment. Running joke is he plays well for QLD regardless but that team has the troops to let him play his game. We don't.

So until DCE has a Half partner that can shoulder some of the work we will continue to be close but probably not there.

I just feel DCE is expected to do everything in this team ever since 2014 even when some around him don't.

Look at Andrew Johns. Probably the greatest no.7 in the last 40 years but other than 1997 what did Newcastle win? Nada. He carried that team because he was special but in the end only really had personal success in NSW and Australian colours. Why because he didn't have the troops around him at newcastle.

JT was the same at the cows. Best No.6 during past 10 years but only 1 GF win and that was at the death.

DCE has stepped up in the past but is obviously struggling at this moment. Running joke is he plays well for QLD regardless but that team has the troops to let him play his game. We don't.

So until DCE has a Half partner that can shoulder some of the work we will continue to be close but probably not there.

Oh dear . We have the troops
I wonder how our forward pack would respond to news that the platform they lay is only ok and not enough to get cherry moving
They bust there gut to give him room and momentum and his positioning, and desire to test the line is rubbish
Ive said this before. He likes contact he initiates but as for putting himself in harms way. Aaaah someone else.

I wrote last year that dce is flogging tommy. He still is but thankfully walker is helping out

manly have tried to support his gaps , but i never see these areas improving in his game as if he has also decided its not up to him,
Manly is a good team that plays dumb , and kicks like a primary school team and somehow our halfback is the only one not accountable for this. But he is still the best
Sheesh

an objective fan is still a fan and if cherry isnt a 6 or 7 , he doesnt hold a spot elsewhere, maybe wing. Thats where he is found on last too often

I totally agree buddy, except he doesn't just need a "halves partner", he needs a 7 partner.

Foran was a 7 playing 6.

We chased dogboy to be a 7...somebody knew we needed a 7.

Green was the perfect 7 partner for DCE and the f'wits in charge at the time let him go for the sake of 100k/year or so.

Not much sense in paying DCE 1M+/ year and stifling his talent for the sake of not paying his perfect partner 600k.

We will not win a premiership while DCE is here unless we find a 7 partner to compliment him.

I am a DCE fan, but he is not a 7. He is a 6. I feel sorry for him.

We need a 7 so DCE can show his marquee player value at 6.

Last edited:
Not sure why a lot of you just don't see the obvious.
Im a DCE supporter but even I can see Cherry is playing like a bit of a busted arse at the moment.

Why? Who knows but on the Sunday night Andrew Johns show he made a huge point that got me thinking.
He was on about the bunnies and how Cody Walker returning allowed Reynolds to play his natural game. How it removed the pressure from AR and how souths attack sparked up straight away.

They then spoke about Dylan Brown at the squeels and again he just does his job and injects himself at the right times.

So look at the top sides. They all have a no.6 who shares the burden. We dont. We have a very good footballer playing out of position who isn't a playmaker. DW can do wonderful things in bits but hes not an 80 min no.6. More like a 10 min out of 80.

Rooters have Cleary. Raiders have Wighton. Souths have Walker. Storm have Munster.

Perhaps DCE will never get back to his best but we need a no.6 who can step up and be a 60 - 70 min player instead of a 10 to help out.

I honestly believe that if DCE could go out there thinking he doesn't have to take every long kick, put in every grubber, run every play he would be back to his best.

Look honestly. If we had a decent 6 , cherry is surplus. A decent 6 is 700k plus. Drop cherry buy a 6 and continue to play jake at halfback as he currently does. You get one premier half, or 2 pretty good ones due to salary cap.
Which is it , or do we sell afb and siiro to find someone to supplement cherry and then we can say poor cherry, the pack isnt going forward. He needs a 6 and this and this and that.
Oh and he wants to go part time as he isnt being used much anyway

an objective fan is still a fan and if cherry isnt a 6 or 7 , he doesnt hold a spot elsewhere, maybe wing. Thats where he is found on last too often
The objective fan you listed above is obviously blind with no idea...

Sounds like a great idea mate. Lets just cut DCE and go with Cust/Walker in the halves shall we?

When i say troops I'm not referring to the forward pack although we still have obvious weakness in the second row.

Other than Tommy, DW ( at 4 ) and DCE we are very light on game breaking troops. Fact.

During the golden run we had Snake. If he wasn't on we had Killer, if he was a bit off we could go to Matai and Wolfman (who even for his issues had a bit of x factor). If DCE went missing Foran would run a play and set up Snake. So on and so forth its was attack from 1 thru 7.

We just don't have the troops. Period.

Last edited:
I posted along these lines in the beginning of this thread.

We are not missing a 6...we are missing a 7.
Its why you see Jake at first receiver a lot. No one better in the game than DCE catching the ball on the run at second receiver, especially on that right hand side. Similar to when he had Glen Stewert as first receiver and either Jamie on dce's outside or would have brett looping around also.

DCE has developed his game now that he sweeps either side of the ruck, but looks the best playing more a 5/8 style, or linking with his half, but playing on the outside of him

exactly

What I meant is that DCE is really a 6, not a 7. So we have a 6 and a centre masquerading as a 6. We don't have a 7.
I think we dont have a hooker is also a key point. How many games does Melbourne win when smith doesn't play, even when they had slater and cronk.

For mine DCE plays his best when he is playing in sync with his hooker. There are times when Levi dummies to DCE on the last 5 mts out from the line when cherry is in position to kick. Walker is doing a great job, but also gets caught out on the 5th, doesn't know whether to run or kick. Its about all the combinations you have around you.

The objective fan you listed above is obviously blind with no idea...

Sounds like a great idea mate. Lets just cut DCE and go with Cust/Walker in the halves shall we?

When i say troops I'm not referring to the forward pack although we still have obvious weakness in the second row.

Other than Tommy, DW ( at 4 ) and DCE we are very light on game breaking troops. Fact.

During the golden run we had Snake. If he wasn't on we had Killer, if he was a bit off we could go to Matai and Wolfman (who even for his issues had a bit of x factor). If DCE went missing Foran would run a play and set up Snake. So on and so forth its was attack from 1 thru 7.

We just don't have the troops. Period.

Lets stop fluffing. A 6 and a 7 are essentially the same thing. They interchange, whatever
The reason we have signifigance between them is salary.
The main man gets the main coin and the other plays back up .
Depending on top dollar mans position, lesser coin man gets the other number

Melbourne had the big 3 and it worked because the big 3 were not the big 2 and a bit.
I would love to keep chez at second fiddle but
" show me da money " and expectation is high and back options cheap

MAnlys purpose does not have to be his.
It will be interesting to see how well he plays when his contract finally comes up
Souths would have retired his arse by now. Poor contracts have to be dealt with if you want to be successful in the NRL

Souths put up with laura ingles and samantha until there contributions fell below there cap allocation

Good form shuts people up. One of these threads is 4 years old.

I think we dont have a hooker is also a key point. How many games does Melbourne win when smith doesn't play, even when they had slater and cronk.

For mine DCE plays his best when he is playing in sync with his hooker. There are times when Levi dummies to DCE on the last 5 mts out from the line when cherry is in position to kick. Walker is doing a great job, but also gets caught out on the 5th, doesn't know whether to run or kick. Its about all the combinations you have around you.
Simon no point in arguing with all the “experts” on how to play 1/2 & 5/8.....Walker & DCE will never reach the expectations of some in here. Whether the team plays well or not there will always be those that bag the team or individual players & continue to compare them to players from other teams. Obviously our team & a select few players especially are not good enough to wear Maroon & White. It annoys me how Walker, DCE, AFB, Parker, Levi, Jorge, Siro, Paseka, Sipley are often mentioned in whinging posts about numerous things......I guess the experts have played the game & know everything! Oh well guess it’ll be Hasler’s turn soon.

Don 't mind when D C E can take the ball to the line and have a forward coming off him and with the option of still going himself . Presently Des seems to prefer using him and walker in running roles just off the ruck area and also to incorporate the sweeping plays with Tom [ a la Snake type plays ] No harm in varying both of their roles a bit also but repeat sets are more important then ever with the possession flows with the new format and definitely some improvement needed in that department . D C E can be a bit more influential perhaps but walker is doing most things right .

Lets stop fluffing. A 6 and a 7 are essentially the same thing. They interchange, whatever
The reason we have signifigance between them is salary.
The main man gets the main coin and the other plays back up .
Depending on top dollar mans position, lesser coin man gets the other number

Melbourne had the big 3 and it worked because the big 3 were not the big 2 and a bit.
I would love to keep chez at second fiddle but
" show me da money " and expectation is high and back options cheap

MAnlys purpose does not have to be his.
It will be interesting to see how well he plays when his contract finally comes up
Souths would have retired his arse by now. Poor contracts have to be dealt with if you want to be successful in the NRL

Souths put up with laura ingles and samantha until there contributions fell below there cap allocation

Good form shuts people up. One of these threads is 4 years old.
Ok say we go your direction.

Who do we have to replace DCE?

An lets not do that thing where we list the top 3 halfs in the comp and say 'them'.

Who would come to us? Remember Ben Hunt. Remember FOZ. Hell even Mitchel Moses was an also ran just 18 months ago....

Just list your replacements that would do a better job in our setup right now?

Ok say we go your direction.

Who do we have to replace DCE?

An lets not do that thing where we list the top 3 halfs in the comp and say 'them'.

Who would come to us? Remember Ben Hunt. Remember FOZ. Hell even Mitchel Moses was an also ran just 18 months ago....

Just list your replacements that would do a better job in our setup right now?

We would do great with someone like Blake Green or Josh Reynolds at 7 and DCE at 6.

Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans says he is immensely proud of the character shown by his side in coming back from 18-0 down to beat Brisbane on Thursday night but conceding big leads two weeks in a row is a worry. Manly were down 18-2 against the Eels a week earlier and were unlucky not to win that one as well but DCE knows it's a costly habit to get into. "Tonight was really satisfying because we got the two points but last week was pretty deflating," he said. "I've lost plenty of those games and not even been in the fight but to come back from 18-0, I'm really proud of the boys. It's hard not to be after a night like that. "To do it again and get the result is really satisfying. It's a good win, one we really needed because you don't want to be losing them back-to-back with the way the comp's structured."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8