Changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Ryan

Journey Man
Firstly, sorry about the length of this post. Just ignore anything you want - I'll put things into subjects so you can avoid what you don't want to read. This is just my opinion of course (would love to hear all of yours):

Team to the end of the season
So, been thinking about what to do if Tommy is out for the remainder of the season. Here's an idea (please hear me out @:p ). Why not play Tolu Koula at fullback? He played junior representative footy there. Use Parker (is he back this week?) and Garrick in the centres, Saab and Tuipulotu on the wings. I'd then bring in Weekes as our 14 (he DID do quite well there), who can step in pretty well anywhere from 1-7.

Another note I'd make about the above if that could occur - give Koula a $350k increase in salary this year to play fullback (the cap dispensation from Tom), with a lower cap hit in his remaining years (which benefits us going forward cap wise), which I believe we are currently negotiating.

Anyways, just an idea.

Coaching
Okay, this is what I heard, and it may be complete crap, and while I DO hate sharing anything with you guys, here goes anyways. There is a reason Flannagan never interviewed for the role at the end, and that's because he actually spoke to them quite early on (and the rest of the media stuff was really just piss and wind). If anyone thinks Flannagan didn't provide a full business plan, including assumptions about juniors, growth & everything else, I don't know what to say.

I understand this was a pre-curser to both Fifita and Tuitavake leaving, and of late, a reason Latu Fainu has sought a release (as a possible medium term replacement for Ben Hunt), but I also understand Scott Fulton wants him at The Tigers to potentially replace Brooks at some point, and to play with his brother.

This kid is in demand, and rightfully so.

I'd go as far as letting Flannagan go immediately, to get over to The Dragons and away from our club / players, and acquire Justin Holbrook. He's worked with Siebold before at representative level football, and apparently they had a sound working relationship.

New Players versus incoming coaches
I'm actually quite shocked that we acquired THREE new coaches (who had left teams like The Bunnies, The Sharks, The Broncos, The Titans), and not ONE of them has ONE player wanting to join them (or has). I'd get if that were a one off, but all three? Hey maybe getting Holbrook might send us some Titans players (and they DO have some under rated players), particularly if Des is going to pick the eyes out of us.

The only player I think could possibly have a history is Flannagan with Woods - but if that's his call to grace - it's an absolute failure haha.

Cove Agency
We HAVE to stop doing business with them. They are literally using Manly as a dumping ground for unwanted and / or washed up players (Johns, Talau, Woods etc etc etc) - they have more plonks with us too. I'll give them Bullemor (he's come good). They need to come through with a REAL signing though, and soon.

Recruitment / Retention
This needs to be overhauled immediately. It's great we've gotten rid of Scott Fulton, but we HAVE to be on the ball right now - the vultures are circling, and we are already losing some of our best young talent (and replacing them with downright plonkers).

We need to remember, we are now desperately signing players on massive overs (look at Schusters abomination of a contract, wait till you hear Koula's numbers !), yet it's these very players that have won 6 games in their last 22. That's almost 25% - so be careful who we put our faith in.

We need someone VERY astute as our head of recruitment. Someone proactive, and on the ball. Someone who can again find us gems like Matai, Stewart 1 & 2, and many others. Winners.

I'd also be taking attitude and mentality into consideration with any acquisition. We want leaders and winners. Not more mopey, slow, lethargic, poor attitude buys like we've recently had that are burnouts everywhere else.

Other
Anyways, these are some of the changes I'd make to hopefully improve us, and would love to hear your thought's?

No to Koula at FB - terrible under the high ball when he last played there…
Yes to Flanno gone but then any damage has already been done by now if your mail is right…
Good point about the coaches not attracting players but Siebold was reported to have issues with blokes at Broncs and South’s is a pretty close knit club so no surprises there and potentially Flanno had one foot out the door from the get go…
Recruitment needs to be a multi-headed approach - NRL, grade and NZ… who the best people for that is I have no idea but based on the last 10 years you can be sure that we will not identify them…

Can we use the $350k to front load our current squad? If so that's the play. Save the money for next year when we have several off contract and can go to market with some decent buying power.

I like the idea of Koula at FB. I think it is worth giving him an opportunity. He is athletic and talented enough to overcome any issues with the high ball imo. Great suggestion!
I think Flanno should move a cross to St George like now. His headspace is going to be there that’s for sure.

We will end up with Daine Laurie for the rest of the year as he is another tigers reject

The next 18 months will make the Barrett years look like a golden era
At least Laurie can defend… (not that I want him)

More likely we end up with Savage… combined with Saab and Tippytoes as our back 3, we will have teams putting 40 on us week in week out…

The club urgently needs to sort out some glaring issues.

Flanagan MUST be moved on ASAP!! We need an assistant coach who is committed to our cause!!

I am deeply concerned that Latu Fainu has asked for a release, considering what the club has invested in his family over the last 6 years or so, this is extremely disappointing!!

The club has to also sort out very quickly the fact that there are too many people right now who think they are bigger than the cub.

Seibold has come in and is assessing the squad we have and will retain the players he wants. My fear is that we see players coming back early from injury and getting hurt worse. The club needs to be firm with players about things like that.

Mr Tartak is doing a great job for the players he manages. I think its wise to invest in quality young players but please do not pay overs for inconsistency!!

Our team selection for this week really concerns me. Why are we rewarding failure?? It is clear that Weekes is out of his depth, it is obvious that Aloiai has seen better days and we now know why Aaron Woods was brought in.

It is sad that we cannot seem to get it right when it comes to nurturing our quality juniors, when I think of the players we let go, didnt believe in and you see these player star for rival teams, it stinks!!! I know you cannot keep everyone in the juniors but when I see deficiencies in this team and solutions to solve the problems are players playing elsewhere.

We need a comprehensive plan from under 15s to first grade to ensure that we have a pipeline of quality juniors coming through and that we recruit players who are busting for a chance.

I do worry about where we are heading as a club, Tony Mestrov told us at the Football club AGM about where the club was heading and priorities and you see that with the changes implemented like the Fulton's being moved on and a focus on local talent, rather that western Sydney talent. Our junior program needs serious planning and investment. Our rivals are so ahead of us when it comes to dealing with this.

Our salary cap needs urgent attention. It is frustrating that yet again Tommy is injured. It is such a shame cause when hes fit he has no peer. Things will not change till the end of 24 when DCEs contract is done. If he stays for an extra year or retires we need to address this problem and NEVER again invest in a few players as when they are injury prone like Jake and Tom are now it is a huge burden on the team.

I think Flanno should move a cross to St George like now. His headspace is going to be there that’s for sure.

100% should be let go straight away.
If anyone truely believes he isn't already planning his success at St Merge has rocks in their head.
What interest would he have trying to improve Manly when his future and success is elsewhere.

Leaving him where he is allows him to put seeds of doubt into players heads he would like to take with him.

nah, you have to use the money for a Like for Like player, so we'll be looking for a player as good as Tom

Does it have to be a fullback or can they play any position.
Even though he is a dickhead maybe sign Lodge for the rest of the year.

The club urgently needs to sort out some glaring issues.

Flanagan MUST be moved on ASAP!! We need an assistant coach who is committed to our cause!!

I am deeply concerned that Latu Fainu has asked for a release, considering what the club has invested in his family over the last 6 years or so, this is extremely disappointing!!

The club has to also sort out very quickly the fact that there are too many people right now who think they are bigger than the cub.

Seibold has come in and is assessing the squad we have and will retain the players he wants. My fear is that we see players coming back early from injury and getting hurt worse. The club needs to be firm with players about things like that.

Mr Tartak is doing a great job for the players he manages. I think its wise to invest in quality young players but please do not pay overs for inconsistency!!

Our team selection for this week really concerns me. Why are we rewarding failure?? It is clear that Weekes is out of his depth, it is obvious that Aloiai has seen better days and we now know why Aaron Woods was brought in.

It is sad that we cannot seem to get it right when it comes to nurturing our quality juniors, when I think of the players we let go, didnt believe in and you see these player star for rival teams, it stinks!!! I know you cannot keep everyone in the juniors but when I see deficiencies in this team and solutions to solve the problems are players playing elsewhere.

We need a comprehensive plan from under 15s to first grade to ensure that we have a pipeline of quality juniors coming through and that we recruit players who are busting for a chance.

I do worry about where we are heading as a club, Tony Mestrov told us at the Football club AGM about where the club was heading and priorities and you see that with the changes implemented like the Fulton's being moved on and a focus on local talent, rather that western Sydney talent. Our junior program needs serious planning and investment. Our rivals are so ahead of us when it comes to dealing with this.

Our salary cap needs urgent attention. It is frustrating that yet again Tommy is injured. It is such a shame cause when hes fit he has no peer. Things will not change till the end of 24 when DCEs contract is done. If he stays for an extra year or retires we need to address this problem and NEVER again invest in a few players as when they are injury prone like Jake and Tom are now it is a huge burden on the team.
Don't think you can say Jake's injury prone, I'm sure someone on here will know his stats for injuries.

100% should be let go straight away.
If anyone truely believes he isn't already planning his success at St Merge has rocks in their head.
What interest would he have trying to improve Manly when his future and success is elsewhere.

Leaving him where he is allows him to put seeds of doubt into players heads he would like to take with him.

Does it have to be a fullback or can they play any position.
Even though he is a dickhead maybe sign Lodge for the rest of the year.
Basically FB or winger/FB I guess

Don't think you can say Jake's injury prone, I'm sure someone on here will know his stats for injuries.
He's scarcely missed a game in years
1687493719815.png

Yes to Flanagan going - there is a huge potential for conflict and lets face it his head is somewhere else. We need to fix our spine. We need a sign a fullback and a gun hooker quick I expected to see a change in the squad and I really can't see one. We need to stop paying for rocks hoping they will turn into diamonds as our main recruitment strategy. Generally in life you get what you pay for. Buying something because it is cheap does not provide the quality that is required. Sadly 2021 whilst it was exciting resulted in the deficiencies within the squad being veiled by Tommy's incredible run of form playing V Ball. We are right back where we were in 2014 to 2020. The owner suggesting that our top 30 this year is a premiership contender highlights that he has no football nous.

I want to know how guys like Aloiai, Tuipulotu and Keppie are getting extensions over a season in advance and yet we are letting talented juniors slip through our fingers like it's nothing. Mind you I think Keppie could be a part of our future if he cleans up parts of his game, but he hadn't done anything to deserve an early extension like that. The other two have been ****ing dreadful this year and were the 2 worst of the 7 to sit out because of the rainbow jersey, and I don't think that boycott would've even happened if we didn't have Aloiai. Of the whole squad these would be the first two I'd let leave, but it's a bit hard now that we've unnecessarily extended their contracts

DCE's contract has and will continue to cripple us, and will look even worse in a few years when he retires and the guy that we've groomed to replace him, who some have called one of the most talented juniors of all time is playing for another team. Fact is we've lost more games than we've won since DCE signed the contract, and his best performances in that time have come in a Maroon jersey that isn't ours. Big thanks to the new Titans coach for giving him that extension, once again early and unnecessary.

We've backed ourselves into a corner with horrible recruitment, cap and roster management, but there are still a bunch of players like Jake, Garrick, Koula, Olakau'atu, Paseka and yes even Schuster worth building a squad around. Who knows with Tommy and that's a whole different problem, but if were able to free ourselves of the **** contracts (DCE), plodders (Parker/Harper/Tuipulotu etc) or both (Aloiai/Tuilagi) then at least we'd have a bit of space to work with

Other than that I like the idea of replacing Flanagan with Holbrook right now, even with the view of Holbrook eventually taking Seibold's job if things keep going the way that they are

We will end up with Daine Laurie for the rest of the year as he is another tigers reject

The next 18 months will make the Barrett years look like a golden era
Barrett and golden era. Love it.

I agree about Holbrook. I think he has merit as a coach and has been poorly treated at the Tits. If he has a good relationship with young players from the Gold Coast then he could entice them to come to Manly. The environments are similar, and their is plenty of junior talent on the Gold Coast.
Every time I read that we are likely to lose a young talent reinforces my dire feelings for the future of our club. I had renewed hope at the start of the season but unless there is major change at the top end then we may never be serious premiership contenders again.

Firstly, sorry about the length of this post. Just ignore anything you want - I'll put things into subjects so you can avoid what you don't want to read. This is just my opinion of course (would love to hear all of yours):

Team to the end of the season
So, been thinking about what to do if Tommy is out for the remainder of the season. Here's an idea (please hear me out @:p ). Why not play Tolu Koula at fullback? He played junior representative footy there. Use Parker (is he back this week?) and Garrick in the centres, Saab and Tuipulotu on the wings. I'd then bring in Weekes as our 14 (he DID do quite well there), who can step in pretty well anywhere from 1-7.

Another note I'd make about the above if that could occur - give Koula a $350k increase in salary this year to play fullback (the cap dispensation from Tom), with a lower cap hit in his remaining years (which benefits us going forward cap wise), which I believe we are currently negotiating.

Anyways, just an idea.

Coaching
Okay, this is what I heard, and it may be complete crap, and while I DO hate sharing anything with you guys, here goes anyways. There is a reason Flannagan never interviewed for the role at the end, and that's because he actually spoke to them quite early on (and the rest of the media stuff was really just piss and wind). If anyone thinks Flannagan didn't provide a full business plan, including assumptions about juniors, growth & everything else, I don't know what to say.

I understand this was a pre-curser to both Fifita and Tuitavake leaving, and of late, a reason Latu Fainu has sought a release (as a possible medium term replacement for Ben Hunt), but I also understand Scott Fulton wants him at The Tigers to potentially replace Brooks at some point, and to play with his brother.

This kid is in demand, and rightfully so.

I'd go as far as letting Flannagan go immediately, to get over to The Dragons and away from our club / players, and acquire Justin Holbrook. He's worked with Siebold before at representative level football, and apparently they had a sound working relationship.

New Players versus incoming coaches
I'm actually quite shocked that we acquired THREE new coaches (who had left teams like The Bunnies, The Sharks, The Broncos, The Titans), and not ONE of them has ONE player wanting to join them (or has). I'd get if that were a one off, but all three? Hey maybe getting Holbrook might send us some Titans players (and they DO have some under rated players), particularly if Des is going to pick the eyes out of us.

The only player I think could possibly have a history is Flannagan with Woods - but if that's his call to grace - it's an absolute failure haha.

Cove Agency
We HAVE to stop doing business with them. They are literally using Manly as a dumping ground for unwanted and / or washed up players (Johns, Talau, Woods etc etc etc) - they have more plonks with us too. I'll give them Bullemor (he's come good). They need to come through with a REAL signing though, and soon.

Recruitment / Retention
This needs to be overhauled immediately. It's great we've gotten rid of Scott Fulton, but we HAVE to be on the ball right now - the vultures are circling, and we are already losing some of our best young talent (and replacing them with downright plonkers).

We need to remember, we are now desperately signing players on massive overs (look at Schusters abomination of a contract, wait till you hear Koula's numbers !), yet it's these very players that have won 6 games in their last 22. That's almost 25% - so be careful who we put our faith in.

We need someone VERY astute as our head of recruitment. Someone proactive, and on the ball. Someone who can again find us gems like Matai, Stewart 1 & 2, and many others. Winners.

I'd also be taking attitude and mentality into consideration with any acquisition. We want leaders and winners. Not more mopey, slow, lethargic, poor attitude buys like we've recently had that are burnouts everywhere else.

Other
Anyways, these are some of the changes I'd make to hopefully improve us, and would love to hear your thought's?
Always enjoy reading your insights @Ryan , please keep them coming. I just wish we had something positive to post on but there just isn't at any level in this club.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8