• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Would create great interest if Hoppa got a start but I'll be surprised if a youngster gets a start after a poor team showing. I think more likely the likes of Hoppa Metcalfe and Schuster will get a chance in a month or two once the team has settled back into a steady rhythm of consistent fighting performances. I doubt Des will rely on a speedy youngster to fix what was largely an attitude problem.
That works with full season SE8 but twenty rounds?Lose three or four now and it over and over quickly. But I agree that’s what will happen.We will take conservative road.
As an out and out Api lover you are correct. It was just the timing (and Fainu ) fuuckup that has cost us. I watch Api at the Panthers, and he is killing it. It’s just horrible to think how we’d be if Fainu didn’t fuuck up.
i agree with all you guys about Fainus ridiculous behaviour but in a football sense it hasn’t mattered. He was not going to play at all this year after the shoulder complications. And now we will pay because he provided the X factor when Tommy was out.

Manly were tired from the previous week, and the fade after 10 mins was disappointing. Letting tries in before and just after half time is a worry.

Things can be improved with some positional changes, lots of sensible suggestions above.

Cust showed enough footy brain to show he can be a dummy half.

Elliot is a much better prospect at fullback. Boyle in for Paseka.

That works with full season SE8 but twenty rounds?Lose three or four now and it over and over quickly. But I agree that’s what will happen.We will take conservative road.

i agree with all you guys about Fainus ridiculous behaviour but in a football sense it hasn’t mattered. He was not going to play at all this year after the shoulder complications. And now we will pay because he provided the X factor when Tommy was out.
We are now 4 from 7. 4 of our next 9 is about what we can expect. That'll put us on 8 from 16 with Turbo and Walker returning and 4 games remaining. If say 3 of those last 4 to make semis which is achievable with our players back on deck. But to try and win the comp from there would be a miracle.
Next year we hopefully get Fainu back, Turbo injury free and the emergence of Schuster and Hoppa. I'd be using Thommo money and buying Saab from Dragons, that would complete our squad and is a premiership looking side/squad

Des thinks Shuster a great young talent but they don't think he's ready between the ears yet for playmaker role. A run at 14 later on maybe at best.Albert is fit and maybe a chance with a few more losses, which are coming due to our anaemic backline. I suppose anything could happen with a couple of performances like that.But seriously,they were always going to struggle today against quality outside backs.Other than Horhay,Parker and DCE the guys out there today in the positions they were picked are not first graders.Our pack has to totally own the opposition for us to win now,which they can do - but every week?
Our depth is our weakness even though Des gets the best from them. Paseka and to a lesser extent Jetski not good enough.
We have a top notch run on pack, a couple of decent reserve forwards ,but without Tommy and Walks we are just making up the numbers until Shuster and Albert are ready for full time first grade and Funa develops hopefully.
The Knights fullback next week will be virtually unstoppable with our pedestrian backs.Require a herculean performance by the starting six and an improved DCE for the next eight weeks to sneak into the eight.Top 4 wont happen and that means no title.Our reliance on Tommy and no Fainu /Api combo is too great an obstacle even for Des.The 9 mess is just as big a blow as Turbot.
The knights also weren’t so great this week. What makes you think Ponga will be unstopa us? He didn’t I do agree re paseka and jack tho. Th
Here's my team for next week. Same 17 as this week except Suli in/Funa out and Jetki out/Waddell or Guacamole or Sipley in.

1 Elliot
2 Horhay
3 Suli
4 Parker
5 Ruebin
6 DCE
7 Cust
8 Marty
9 Croker
10 AFB
11 Sirro
12 Thommo
13 Jake
14 Levi
15 Keppie
16 Paseka
17 Waddell if fit, Guacamole or Sipley if not.
I’d have the same team but leave Croker at 6 and Levi 9 with cust the utility. I think that side puts in a much better performance v Newcastle - who will also be shaken from a hammering at nth qld

We are now 4 from 7. 4 of our next 9 is about what we can expect. That'll put us on 8 from 16 with Turbo and Walker returning and 4 games remaining. If say 3 of those last 4 to make semis which is achievable with our players back on deck. But to try and win the comp from there would be a miracle.
Next year we hopefully get Fainu back, Turbo injury free and the emergence of Schuster and Hoppa. I'd be using Thommo money and buying Saab from Dragons, that would complete our squad and is a premiership looking side/squad
Saab e we it’s done games under his belt will be a machine. Imagine having Tom and Saab going up for bombs.

also - DCE not grubbering for the in goal? It must be Des's game plan. If you look at highlights over the last 7 or 8 years DCE is very good at in-goal grubbers and short kicking.

Des must be trying to achieve something by avoiding them. And by the way it worked against the raiders.

Wrong tactic yesterday though. It is very conservative and only works if you're ahead and your defence is good.

Next week.
Suli back in and please put Garrick back to wing, Elliott to fullback as Garrick was caught out of position a few times.
Time for Gosiewski and Paseka to be dropped, both have been completely ineffective. Boyle and Schuster to come in for them. I was impressed by Cust, he just has an ability to make things happen and needs more time next week. Now this might sound harsh but Thommo has been quite ineffective this year too, for me Schuster to come on and replace Thommo at the 50 minute mark. Thommo is great in defence but really doesn't offer anything in attack any more. Perfect time to blood Schuster.
And my Smokey is Metcalfe to Fullback. Our defence was ordinary buy we were very slow and poor in attack until Cust came on, I just feel with no Turbo, Walker and Fainu we are severely lacking creativity which Schuster and possibly Metcalfe can/will provide

Careful ... last week I called for Schuster at 5/8 and GoJetSki to be dropped, and was called a numbnut ... also said at the beginning of the year Thommo would be under pressure to hold his spot ... still has a good game in him ... but with Waddell. Guacomole and Shuster available he is under threat ..

You are correct Cust made a strong claim for the #14 ....

The knights also weren’t so great this week. What makes you think Ponga will be unstopa us? He didn’t I do agree re paseka and jack tho. Th

I’d have the same team but leave Croker at 6 and Levi 9 with cust the utility. I think that side puts in a much better performance v Newcastle - who will also be shaken from a hammering at nth qld
Because Ponga eats slow backs and we have a five eight who runs out of the line every second play. Don’t worry we can win the game if our great forwards own them but that is the only way and that will be the same for the next two months.

Ponga will be salivating at the thought of playing us, if we have the same attitude as this week it could get very VERY ugly ( if you thought yesterday was bad that’ll be just a training run ).

However I doubt they’ll have the same attitude ......or at least I hope so!!

Because Ponga eats slow backs and we have a five eight who runs out of the line every second play. Don’t worry we can win the game if our great forwards own them but that is the only way and that will be the same for the next two months.

WTF was Croker doing out there yesterday?

The problem is that while we have great forwards, a lot of teams also have decent forwards which means we are not going to win games on forward supremacy alone.

The Saifiti brothers are killing it at the moment, and Klemmer is going ok.
McCullough is twice the player Levi is.

I think the team's form has been patchy all year - apart from an easy win over the Dogs, our wins have been based on guts & determination, coupled with standout performances from Turbo (attack & defence).

Re yesterday's team changes, maybe Des was overthinking. Nobody can replicate the way Turbo plays, so it is a mistake to think that Garrick can do so. I agree that Elliot's best position is centre, but he has plenty of experience at fullback. He is sound under the high ball (lateral defensive readings not so good), is fast enough, can make a break & chimes into the back line when needed. Garrick's best position is on the wing & Funa is a centre.

The loss of two elite hookers has weakened our side this year. Our forwards consistently made inroads last year with Api & Manase directing the traffic. Manase, in particular, is a very intuitive player, seeming to always take the right option in attack. Unfortunately, Levi doesn't have this ability. Although he defended well in the win against the Raiders, I think he should be dropped for the team to improve. Without a skilful dummy half, the power of our forwards is muted. I would prefer Cust as starting hooker (maybe most suitable first grade position for him?).

Also, I think Paseka & Jack haven't done enough to stay in the 17. Jack was very good for us at the end of last season and was selected in the emerging Blues squad, but isn't firing after his operation. I would like to see Hoppa given a game soon, but given his knee history, it may be best for him to start from the bench. Here is my hypothetical team for next week.
  1. Elliot
  2. Jorge
  3. Parker
  4. Suli (if unavailable, Funa)
  5. Garrick
  6. Croker
  7. DCE
  8. Marty
  9. Cust
  10. AFB
  11. Thompson
  12. Sironen
  13. Jake
  14. Schuster
  15. Waddell (if unavailable, Haumole)
  16. Keppie (if unavailable, Sipley)
  17. Boyle

Last edited:
I think the team's form has been patchy all year - apart from an easy win over the Dogs, our wins have been based on guts & determination, coupled with standout performances from Turbo (attack & defence).

Re yesterday's team changes, maybe Des was overthinking. Nobody can replicate the way Turbo plays, so it is a mistake to think that Garrick can do so. I agree that Elliot's best position is centre, but he has plenty of experience at fullback. He is sound under the high (lateral defensive readings not so good), is fast enough, can make a break & chimes into the back line when needed. Garrick's best position is on the wing & Funa is a centre.

The loss of two elite hookers has weakened our side this year. Our forwards consistently made inroads with Api & Manase directing the traffic. Manase, in particular, is a very intuitive player, seeming to always take the right option in attack. Unfortunately, Levi doesn't have this ability. Although he defended well in the win against the Raiders, I think he should be dropped for the team to improve. Without a skilful dummy half, the power of our forwards is muted. I would prefer Cust as starting hooker (maybe most suitable first grade position for him?).

Also, I think Paseka & Jack haven't done enough to stay in the 17. Jack was very good for us at the end of last season and was selected in the emerging Blues squad, but isn't firing after his operation. I would like to see Hoppa given a game soon, but given his knee history, it may be best for him to start from the bench. Here is my hypothetical team for next week.
  1. Elliot
  2. Jorge
  3. Parker
  5. Garrick
  6. Croker
  7. DCE
  8. Marty
  9. Cust
  10. AFB
  11. Thompson
  12. Sironen
  13. Jake
  14. Schuster
  17. Boyle
110 per cent agree with everything Great post

also - DCE not grubbering for the in goal? It must be Des's game plan. If you look at highlights over the last 7 or 8 years DCE is very good at in-goal grubbers and short kicking.

Des must be trying to achieve something by avoiding them. And by the way it worked against the raiders.

Wrong tactic yesterday though. It is very conservative and only works if you're ahead and your defence is good.

What do you think Des is trying to achieve there?

Tackling practice?
After all who the hell wants a repeat set or possibly some points?

WTF was Croker doing out there yesterday?

The problem is that while we have great forwards, a lot of teams also have decent forwards which means we are not going to win games on forward supremacy alone.

The Saifiti brothers are killing it at the moment, and Klemmer is going ok.
McCullough is twice the player Levi is.
Coach has wraps and you can see it in the play of the Saifitti boys. Been great . Looking forward to Marty and AFB mixing it with them.

I hope Cust has been working on his kicking game since he was dropped last year. He looked fired up when he was on the field yesterday. Channel 9 mentioned he is off-contract at the end of this year so he has a point to prove too.

Gosiewski needs more time in the gym as he still looks underdone... which is understandable.

What happened to Sipley, Olokau'atu or Boyle?

I hope Cust has been working on his kicking game since he was dropped last year. He looked fired up when he was on the field yesterday. Channel 9 mentioned he is off-contract at the end of this year so he has a point to prove too.

Gosiewski needs more time in the gym as he still looks underdone... which is understandable.

What happened to Sipley, Olokau'atu or Boyle?

Goe****ski doesn't look like he belongs out there.

Re yesterday's team changes, maybe Des was overthinking. Nobody can replicate the way Turbo plays, so it is a mistake to think that Garrick can do so. I agree that Elliot's best position is centre, but he has plenty of experience at fullback. He is sound under the high (lateral defensive readings not so good), is fast enough, can make a break & chimes into the back line when needed. Garrick's best position is on the wing & Funa is a centre.

The loss of two elite hookers has weakened our side this year. Our forwards consistently made inroads with Api & Manase directing the traffic. Manase, in particular, is a very intuitive player, seeming to always take the right option in attack. Unfortunately, Levi doesn't have this ability. Although he defended well in the win against the Raiders, I think he should be dropped for the team to improve. Without a skilful dummy half, the power of our forwards is muted. I would prefer Cust as starting hooker (maybe most suitable first grade position for him?).

1. Elliot
  2. Jorge
  3. Parker
  5. Garrick
  6. Croker
  7. DCE
  8. Marty
  9. Cust
  10. AFB
  11. Thompson
  12. Sironen
  13. Jake
  14. Schuster
  17. Boyle
Only change I would consider is Metcalfe for Elliott. Won't happen but if we want the extra spark, that's the direction id take.

What do you think Des is trying to achieve there?

Tackling practice?
After all who the hell wants a repeat set or possibly some points?
I don't know. I don't understand it, but it must be coached because it is a pattern.

Des was a maths teacher. There must be some numbers associated with the tactic.

Sifting through these posts the Forum has dropped or repositioned every one from 7 to 1, with the exception of 2 (who in his usual style took as long as the Manly Fast Ferry to turn around when grubbers were kicked behind him, resulting in two tries).

If everyone got their way we would have the best part of an under 16's side in the halves and backline, with a total first grade experience of about 6 games.

Leave it to Des to sort it out (admittedly he had a shocker this week); he will either persevere with the status quo and train the arses off them all week, or he will go to a different "non Turbo" structure to plug the defensive gaps and offer alternative attacking options.

I don't know. I don't understand it, but it must be coached because it is a pattern.
It suited the situation in the raiders game. Hanging on for dear life. Look what they did in the last three min v Eels.
To do it as a standard tactic each week is ridiculous and I don’t think a great coach like Des would plan it.
Wreaks of lazy formulated stuff from Chez , like his weak low bombs.

it’s just frustrating and hard to work out

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4