Centres and winger - are we happy now ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm still not sold on Taufua.

I accept his game has improved significantly under Des. He is catching the best I have seen him. And touch wood but that silly knock on, or crap play of the ball turn over has decreased as well.

My concern is all about how slow the big fella runs in 2019. If he is injured, it has been there all year and he is doing the best he can on half a leg.

I commend his courage, his improvement and tuff carries from kicks.

Yet still wonder if he is our best option on that wing.

I am completely mystified by this constant assertion of Jorge being a mistake liability ... here are some comparisons this year ...

Jorge .. Games 19 .. Errors .. 14 .. Penalties .. 1 ..
Garrick .. Games .. 21 .. Errors .. 17 .. Penalties .. 4
Oates .. Games .. 18 .. Errors .. 27 .. Penalties .. 1 ..
Dugan .. Games 19 .. Errors .. 30 .. Penalties .. 4 ..
Vunivalu .. Games .. 19 .. Errors 14 .. Penalties .. 8 ..
Ado-Carr Games 18 ..Errors .. 18 .. Penalties ..7
Ferguson .. Games 15 .. Errors .. 25 .. Penalties 3 ..
Tupou .. Games .. 20 .. Errors .. 19 .. Penalties ..2
Mansour.. Games .. 19 .. Errors .. 31 .. Penalties .. 5

and .. PSS .. it has been the same about every year .... can we please put this myth to bed ...

Yeh some of the stuff on Taufua is magnified ridiculously - he was looking a little down on energy recent seasons, but credit to the bloke - has been full of high tempo attitude ALL 2019 with Massive runs, big hits, hands have been good and the way he breaks opposition lockers singing the Manly chant is absolute Gold !!

The usual perception is that Jorge is very slow. We haven't seen much of him running at full pace this year. It would be interesting to see a sprint off over 40 metres between the three quarters - including Walker & Elliot. Wonder how they would place?

As it stands now with the way the team is playing I’m happy , Could it be better ? of course it could be More pace from Parker , more line breaks from Suli , Jorge could show a little more urgency at times ,Garrick is starting to run more straighter
Is there better players on the market for the same price that we are paying for our guys ?
All these players have improved this year , Garrick and Suli will get even better
Jorge is Jorge you get what you get with Jorge
Parker is the question mark for me solid but not dynamic that’s where Hopoate or Funa might get there chance next year

I don't think we can win a premiership while walker has vacated the centre role. Either he has to be replaced or we find a top line 5/8. I'd be keeping Parker because his turn around has been enormous. I'm not sold on Suli. I see some good things from him but i also see him barely breaking tackles. When a player of his size and speed hits a gap out wide he should break tackles at will IMO. Instead it rarely happens. I'd be happy to give him 1 more year to see how it turns out though.

Also i'd like Des to force him to get a haircut. Anyone with hair like that doesn't take life seriously.

I'd much prefer we spent any money we have on bolstering our front row stocks. Boyle looks ok but i'd much prefer it if he were not the forward leader when Tapau and AFB go off.

How much longer do we have to wait for Paseka to hit his straps? He's massive and he looks like a great athlete but where is the aggression and will to break the line? And as for Perrett, this season has been the story of his career. Kills it in reserve grade and comes into first grade and plays like Jane. I feel like he has always had a higher opinion of his own abilities than anyone else.

Cut the dead wood.
Paseka is 21, plays front row, and has been improving as the year progresses.

Suli has been playing great football this year, improving exponentially on last season’s effort, and he’s only 21.

Last edited:
Anyone for T-Rex making a finals come back ?
Even if it is just for shock value I’m all for it
whatever else he offers would be a bonus......correct ? @:mad:

Garrick, Suli, Elliott, Parker and Jorge ... are all quality first graders .... but none of the are yet .. or will be ... representative standard.

They are what they are ... and at their combined cost ... a very servicable unit ... they are playing very well behind a competetive forward pack and doing their jobs well ...

They all have improvement in them ... but to answer your question @maxta ... which one of them would you take over Wolfeman, Matai, Lyons,and Robertson ....
Jorge over Wolf a thousand times over

Wolf was overrated because the guy is magnetic and we all love him

The usual perception is that Jorge is very slow. We haven't seen much of him running at full pace this year. It would be interesting to see a sprint off over 40 metres between the three quarters - including Walker & Elliot. Wonder how they would place?

Yeah Jamie Lyon was the fastest man on earth bro

I am completely mystified by this constant assertion of Jorge being a mistake liability ... here are some comparisons this year ...

Jorge .. Games 19 .. Errors .. 14 .. Penalties .. 1 ..
Garrick .. Games .. 21 .. Errors .. 17 .. Penalties .. 4
Oates .. Games .. 18 .. Errors .. 27 .. Penalties .. 1 ..
Dugan .. Games 19 .. Errors .. 30 .. Penalties .. 4 ..
Vunivalu .. Games .. 19 .. Errors 14 .. Penalties .. 8 ..
Ado-Carr Games 18 ..Errors .. 18 .. Penalties ..7
Ferguson .. Games 15 .. Errors .. 25 .. Penalties 3 ..
Tupou .. Games .. 20 .. Errors .. 19 .. Penalties ..2
Mansour.. Games .. 19 .. Errors .. 31 .. Penalties .. 5

and .. PSS .. it has been the same about every year .... can we please put this myth to bed ...

Maybe we can put this myth to bed, but not based on stats IMO. I mean really, counting "Errors" is such a hopeless statistic. A fumbled ball deep in the opposition half, 14 points up on the scoreboard, 5th tackle play, 2 minutes on the clock. That's counts as an error. So does a fumbled grubber behind your line which lets in a try. That's an error too. There would be thousands of other contextual nuances. Totting up errors like this with no regard to context is a lazy, inept and not very realistic way to rate player performance IMO.

Maybe we can put this myth to bed, but not based on stats IMO. I mean really, counting "Errors" is such a hopeless statistic. A fumbled ball deep in the opposition half, 14 points up on the scoreboard, 5th tackle play, 2 minutes on the clock. That's counts as an error. So does a fumbled grubber behind your line which lets in a try. That's an error too. There would be thousands of other contextual nuances. Totting up errors like this with no regard to context is a lazy, inept and not very realistic way to rate player performance IMO.

Sorry ... you appear to be having some difficulty .... so I will explain ..... some people have been operating on the mis-conception that Jorge makes a lot of errors .... the numbers qouted are real numbers ... and they show that jorge, far from being error prone .. is in fact one of the least error makers in the competion ... let me restate that .... the numbers are not even close enough to be ambigous ... let alone require the need to apply "contextual nuances" ....

The one fact ... repeat fact that can be unequivably retrieved from these numbers is that in comparison to every other winger in the game ... Jorge is very close to being the least error prone and the least penalised ......

... and if you are seriously suggesting that Jorges 14 errors and 1 penalty .. all magically happened at clutch times and all lead to tries being scored .... and that say Mansour's 31 errors and 5 penalties all occurred at goodtimes and no tries were scored .... then .....

Sorry ... you appear to be having some difficulty .... so I will explain ..... some people have been operating on the mis-conception that Jorge makes a lot of errors .... the numbers qouted are real numbers ... and they show that jorge, far from being error prone .. is in fact one of the least error makers in the competion ... let me restate that .... the numbers are not even close enough to be ambigous ... let alone require the need to apply "contextual nuances" ....

The one fact ... repeat fact that can be unequivably retrieved from these numbers is that in comparison to every other winger in the game ... Jorge is very close to being the least error prone and the least penalised ......

... and if you are seriously suggesting that Jorges 14 errors and 1 penalty .. all magically happened at clutch times and all lead to tries being scored .... and that say Mansour's 31 errors and 5 penalties all occurred at goodtimes and no tries were scored .... then .....
You love big Jorge Woodsie old mate...and guess what - so do I.
The bloke is a Massive heart on legs and inadvertently can play a Huge part in Manly competing with the Top sides with what he does bring.
I do understand those looking at the modern day rugby league textbook with the tall timbers fitting the script and lets be honest, he does not have the blinding speed to run away and score 80-100 metre tries out sprinting the defence...but Taufua is a rugged unit who often bends the line coming out of trouble, where these other wingers would get dominated and pushed backwards, this in turn can create momentum and a linebreak, or at very least time for the kicker to create great field position....he also can score close range tries in traffic, from getting low and brute strength that most wingers would be put into the grandstand....he does get called out for rushing in, but personally like most of his defence as he bashes players into tomorrow and intimidates the opposition attack and while most are crying about the odd try, the amount of times he has halted the attack or created errors is 10/1, so I am happy with these odds and those times his winger scores outside him, is often down to a second man play where his inside men have left him short, which happens to EVERY winger in the NRL !!
In a perfect world I wish he had Addo Carrs blinding speed, but then he would be an $850,000 winger....Jorge has his own strengths and they suit Manly's cause well....if any team will test him will be Sunday in Canberra and hoping he delivers as he has all season and scores a try or 2 to boot....and to see him demolish the Canberra locker room singing the Manly war cry after a win, would ice the cake...

Last edited:
You love big Jorge Woodsie old mate...and guess what - so do I.
The bloke is a Massive heart on legs and inadvertently can play a Huge part in Manly competing with the Top sides with what he does bring.
I do understand those looking at the modern day rugby league textbook with the tall timbers fitting the script and lets be honest, he does not have the blinding speed to run away and score 80-100 metre tries out sprinting the defence...but Taufua is a rugged unit who often bends the line coming out of trouble, where these other wingers would get dominated and pushed backwards, this in turn can create momentum and a linebreak, or at very least time for the kicker to create great field position....he also can score close range tries in traffic, from getting low and brute strength that most wingers would be put into the grandstand....he does get called out for rushing in, but personally like most of his defence as he bashes players into tomorrow and intimidates the opposition attack and while most are crying about the odd try, the amount of times he has halted the attack or created errors is 10/1, so I am happy with these odds and those times his winger scores outside him, is often down to a second man play where his inside men have left him short, which happens to EVERY winger in the NRL !!
In a perfect world I wish he had Addo Carrs blinding speed, but then he would be an $850,000 winger....Jorge has his own strengths and they suit Manly's cause well....if any team will test him will be Sunday in Canberra and hoping he delivers as he has all season and scores a try or 2 to boot....and to see him demolish the Canberra locker room would ice the cake...

More than Jorge .. I love accuracy and common sense ... people can dislike Jorge all they like ... just don't try and say it's becuase he makes too many mistakes ..... and like you say .. we can't have SOO reps in every position ... at his contract price Jorge is a winner ..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4