Centres and winger - are we happy now ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There were times pre season, even early season we were very thin on outside backs 2,3,4 and 5...

Early on -
Taufua was being called out to retire
parker very suspect.
No Walker for legal reasons and in short game time was questioned.
Elliott did not instill confidence
Suli seemed destined for the door.
Garrick was a good surprise and added goals.

Since then -
Taufua back to good form and Massive carries out of trouble.
Parker the biggest improvement in the NRL - (imo)
Walker though 5/8, looks hungry and playing great footy.
Elliott has been exceptional (minus the no passing)
Suli in blockbusting form and looks hungry (wrong word)
Garrick has improved to the point of potential Rookie of the year

Into the future, I would like more pace & penetration in the outside backs. Even though there is solidity & reliability on the left, you don't really expect long range tries to be created there. Maybe Funa will have a chance in the top grade next year, and perhaps even Hopoate towards the back end of the season. I think Suli could be more lethal on the wing, especially if he has a licence to roam a little.

I still think tafua is a weak link in our backs, yes he is playing much better than the last few years, but his play the balls, positioning, attention to detail and speed are lacking. He will be our biggest defensive target as the big games roll in.

Suli is still a work in progress so he can only really be judged on that. Would like to see him learn to position his winger better and improve defensive reads.

Parker still worries me a little, but he looks a much better prospect than I had him pegged as

Garrick, great player, runs sideways a bit too much with his hit ups, gets rag dolled a bit to much, but his upside outweighs this. Needs to work on his goal kicks a bit

They've exceeded expectations.

However it'll be a test this weekend for Elliot and Taufua. Marking up against Leipana.
Hahaha as I was doing up the thread I was thinking similar....maybe got this up a week early :think: - big test this Sunday, :wait: but confident we can get it done....they will no doubt create more havoc out wide alongside Roosters than any other side, but if Manly are on through the middle and allowed to play fast footy, will win the most important area on the field...

Garrick, Suli, Elliott, Parker and Jorge ... are all quality first graders .... but none of the are yet .. or will be ... representative standard.

They are what they are ... and at their combined cost ... a very servicable unit ... they are playing very well behind a competetive forward pack and doing their jobs well ...

They all have improvement in them ... but to answer your question @maxta ... which one of them would you take over Wolfeman, Matai, Lyons,and Robertson ....

There were times pre season, even early season we were very thin on outside backs 2,3,4 and 5...

Early on -
Taufua was being called out to retire
parker very suspect.
No Walker for legal reasons and in short game time was questioned.
Elliott did not instill confidence
Suli seemed destined for the door.
Garrick was a good surprise and added goals.

Since then -
Taufua back to good form and Massive carries out of trouble.
Parker the biggest improvement in the NRL - (imo)
Walker though 5/8, looks hungry and playing great footy.
Elliott has been exceptional (minus the no passing)
Suli in blockbusting form and looks hungry (wrong word)
Garrick has improved to the point of potential Rookie of the year

Very very happy with our boys

What a difference a great coach /mentor /communicator / motivator / inspirational leader can do .

Dont forget we also have Young hoppa and Funa waiting on the wings

Des has taught us to NEVER GIVE UP !!!

We will fight them and devour them on the Northern beaches and beyond

Take it away Winston !!!

Motivational-Winston-Churchill-Quotes.jpg

tafua might be a better centre.
He is too slow in turning around and getting back against the fast and powerful wingers which leads him to make some interesting positional and general decisions. With that said he is still very solid and happy he is there. His biggest issue used to be his ability to catch the ball, he has clearly gained massive confidence in that area so really we are picking at minor things

Garrick, Suli, Elliott, Parker and Jorge ... are all quality first graders .... but none of the are yet .. or will be ... representative standard.

They are what they are ... and at their combined cost ... a very servicable unit ... they are playing very well behind a competetive forward pack and doing their jobs well ...

They all have improvement in them ... but to answer your question @maxta ... which one of them would you take over Wolfeman, Matai, Lyons,and Robertson ....

Can you slot Garrick in for Wolfman for the 2013 GF.
We beat the Roosters then as Garrick more than tall enough to combat Tupou.

Can’t compare them to those blokes, more just happy at the improvement as they appeared to be a weakness earlier this season.
Like Im happy with Thommo and Sirro in the backrow, but hard to take them over Gift and Watmough....

tafua might be a better centre.
He is too slow in turning around and getting back against the fast and powerful wingers which leads him to make some interesting positional and general decisions. With that said he is still very solid and happy he is there. His biggest issue used to be his ability to catch the ball, he has clearly gained massive confidence in that area so really we are picking at minor things
Have you ever seen Horhay pass the ball ?? You'd hate to be outside him on the wing

Garricks defence isn't what you'd call watertight - misses a lot of one on one shots on his opposite number
Elliot rated as "exceptional" is a little more effusive than I'm prepared to offer, I'd settle for a solid. He's been good for depth but he ain't knocking anyone out of the top 17

But have to agree our backline has exceeded my expectations. I think we are one really sharp, dynamic, line breaking winger short of being a really good team

Have you ever seen Horhay pass the ball ?? You'd hate to be outside him on the wing

Garricks defence isn't what you'd call watertight - misses a lot of one on one shots on his opposite number
Elliot rated as "exceptional" is a little more effusive than I'm prepared to offer, I'd settle for a solid. He's been good for depth but he ain't knocking anyone out of the top 17

But have to agree our backline has exceeded my expectations. I think we are one really sharp, dynamic, line breaking winger short of being a really good team

To be fair mate, Croker has made a pretty good career out of not passing the ball from centre

Far exceeded my expectations , bunch of no names doing a sterling job.

Are there betters centres - wingers ??

Yes, but these blokes are ours and going great.

Next step , love them all to go into Manly folklore and win a Premiership.

2020-2021 WILL HAPPEN

2019, doubtful but stranger things have happened.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Baily Simonsson is from the northern beaches, and could be a worthy replacement for Taufua.
He's 188cm and 92kg and apparently has speed to burn. Would come cheap.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Baily Simonsson is from the northern beaches, and could be a worthy replacement for Taufua.
He's 188cm and 92kg and apparently has speed to burn. Would come cheap.
I can't make a judgement without seeing YouTube highlights reels

giphy.gif

But didn't Jorge just sign for 2 more years?

I still want walker as a centre that can fill in at 6. He is going good so far but what would he be like with cust or elgey for extended time

I think there is still time for someone like Garrick to turn into a representative player, being only his first year in the top grade. A shame for him that City v Country isn't around anymore as I am sure he would be a shoe in for Country!

But as has been said, yes there are players out there better than them, but these boys play with so much pride and truly seem so grateful for Manly to give them the opportunity to play first grade. And that is so important in maintaining the incredible culture of our club right now, which evidently leads to success on the field!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8