Captain’s Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eaglehauser

Die Hard
Watching the game back with 2 successful challenges. It seems Manly get more correct than i have noticed from other teams. Couldnt find any stats for this but I would say we could be topping this stat. Interested to see if anyone has hard stats on this.

This idea has in my mind an excellent opportunity for Manly who seem to be often caned by certain referees. But firstly the rules are a little ambiguous and perhaps someone here can clarify. The rule states that a team's captain is allowed one failed challenge. Does this mean once a failed challenge has occurred, no further challenge can be made, or that they can continue to make challenges until two failed challenges are made. Further , its stated that if a challenge results in an unclear situation, it remains the decision of the on field referee, but the team does not lose a challenge. Such discretion is fraught with danger in my mind.

However, I am pleased DCE makes at times several challenges a match, because winning them puts the on field ref on notice that his decisions are being publicly scrutinised. DCE does a good captain's job in that sense and should continue to put the pressure on refs, who seem less than impartial. In the Warriors match DCE challenged three times and lost one. The Warriors challenged once and lost. DCE's decision to make those challenges helped Manly win the game.

What's your thoughts?

I think most captains wouldn't make a challenge unless they thought they were going to be successful.
But also if your in the last couple of minutes in a close game you are more likely just try your luck even knowing the challenge is unlikely to succeed. Better to have crack and hope they find something a bit grey that may go in your favour then having one left at full-time.

I'm confused with the so-called 'loose carry' ruling and the knock-back rule.
Often when the ball goes backwards in a tackle it is deemed to be a loose carry. How can a ref know how tightly a ball is being held?
It's stupid.
If the ball gets knocked backwards in a tackle it should be play-on.

Often when the ball goes backwards in a tackle it is deemed to be a loose carry. How can a ref know how tightly a ball is being held?
It's stupid.
Victim blaming

I hope that the NRL and the referees learn from their mistakes. Every Monday as a group they should look at the decisions which were overturned AND then the next weekend leave the whistle in the pocket when the same stuff happens again.

If we get to the stage where referees stop guessing or in every 50/50 call the referee actually does nothing, then that would be better for all imo. Let the teams sort out the results of games.

If the same referee week after week is having the same kind of decisions overturned, they should be punted out of first grade.

It's stupid.
yep losing it backwards has always been play on in my books - not rocket science - not sure how the commentators on Friday night were trying to claim a loose carry going backwards is suddenly a knock on?

NRL page has the 2020 regular season challenges in a table. Haven't seen anywhere that keeps a live stat though.

stat-attack-captains-challenges_20201121.jpg

yep losing it backwards has always been play on in my books - not rocket science - not sure how the commentators on Friday night were trying to claim a loose carry going backwards is suddenly a knock on?

Those commentators should be asked to explain to the class how a field goal could ever legitimately be kicked. By their logic its a knock on before the boot hits the ball.

DROP GOAL sometimes referred to as a Field Goal, is a goal scored by propelling the ball on the full, over the crossbar, by drop kicking it.
DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.

Those commentators should be asked to explain to the class how a field goal could ever legitimately be kicked. By their logic its a knock on before the boot hits the ball.

DROP GOAL sometimes referred to as a Field Goal, is a goal scored by propelling the ball on the full, over the crossbar, by drop kicking it.
DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.
yep... they have no idea

I’d love someone to explain to me the exact point at which the defensive line can move up. Is it when the ball first touches the ground in the play the ball, when it is ‘touched’ by the player playing the ball, or when the hooker first touches it?

I’d love someone to explain to me the exact point at which the defensive line can move up. Is it when the ball first touches the ground in the play the ball, when it is ‘touched’ by the player playing the ball, or when the hooker first touches it?
I believe once the ball has "cleared the ruck" so once it is played backwards (which is supposed to be by foot) so neither of the above ;)
An example is Taufua, even though he is slow placing the ball on the ground, the defence can't move up until he has played the ball backwards.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but this has always been my belief.

I believe once the ball has "cleared the ruck" so once it is played backwards (which is supposed to be by foot) so neither of the above ;)
An example is Taufua, even though he is slow placing the ball on the ground, the defence can't move up until he has played the ball backwards.
Thanks mate. Seems like most teams are offside nearly every play then!

Then if a marker jumps out and hits the ball from the dummy half's hand...it's always deemed a penalty to the attacking team.

dErp?

NRL page has the 2020 regular season challenges in a table. Haven't seen anywhere that keeps a live stat though.

stat-attack-captains-challenges_20201121.jpg

So so is just a coincidence the majority of the top of the table teams also have a higher percentage of winning the challenge.

When I played as a teenager a knock on had to be propelling the ball forward, if you were tackled and the ball came out behind you either one of your teammates picks it up or an opposition player dives over the top and steals it.

That was never a knock on.

Annoys the crap out of me these days as basically every dropped ball is a knock on EVEN if it goes backwards!!

I noticed in a few games over the weekend when a kick went dead in goal & the winger or fullback sprinted back to take the 20 meter tap restart the defensive team were often offside by a metre or so yet no whistle was blown.

So so is just a coincidence the majority of the top of the table teams also have a higher percentage of winning the challenge.
Probably not a coincidence. The top sides don't need to challenge 50/50 calls so probably keep it for obvious ones. Also the weaker teams, aside from challenging in hope on 50/50 calls, might also throw in the odd doomed challenge just to buy a few seconds of rest.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6