Can't wait for 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Just over 4 weeks till the first trial yeeeew

Be optimistic boys and girls, the only way is up.

I think people are generally overstating this "rebuild", Newcastle just went through a proper rebuild and the Bulldogs are embarking on one now. We have the foundations of a competitive team, we just need a little "renovation" rather than a complete rebuild.

I think overall we have a 6-12th squad, we underachieved last year and had an absolute quagmire of issues both on and off the field so I expect a natural correction. How far that correction is, is hard to say.

On the positive side you can say
*We have genuine superstars in Turbo, Jake, DCE, Walker and Taupau supported by Api, AFB and Thommo, that is a strong core
*We have a proven coach is Dessie who has shown he can achieve great things
*We have young talent in the squad in Paseka, Fainu, Hoppoate, Funa and Olakau'atu
*We have less 5 day turn arounds and overall a better draw
*At the moment it seems a more united squad, no current talk of disharmony or players seeking releases
*We have an actual 5/8, who to be fair has stagnated a little, but was once extremely highly rated and has played for the prime ministers 11.....got to be an improvement on Croker/out of position players

If you want to go negative
*Dessie needs to prove the game hasn't passed him buy and he can adapt.
*We lack proven depth, relying on youngsters and players seeking another chance
*We are short in the outside backs
*Walker could be gone

Overall the top 8 is achievable, if a few stars align, heck even top 4 is possible if all our stars align (the comp really is that close). Basically we need
*Turbo to take the next step to one of the top 10 players in the game
*Elgy to to establish himself as a viable alternate attacking focus with passable defense
*Dessie to address overall defense and concentration lapses
*Luck with injuries
*One of our young outside backs to come from the clouds and really establish themselves (ala Issako or Marsters last year)
*DCE to consolidate his QLD and test jumpers by taking this team by the scruff off the neck
*Walker to remain, and contribute strongly and consistently

PUMPED!!!

Last edited:

I think people are generally overstating this "rebuild", Newcastle just went through a proper rebuild and the Bulldogs are embarking on one now. We have the foundations of a competitive team, we just need a little "renovation" rather than a complete rebuild.

I think overall we have a 6-12th squad, we underachieved last year and had an absolute quagmire of issues both on and off the field so I expect a natural correction. How far that correction is, is hard to say.

*We have genuine superstars in Turbo, Jake, DCE, Walker and Taupau supported by Api, AFB and Thommo, that is a strong core
*We have young talent in the squad in Paseka, Fainu, Hoppoate, Funa and Olakau'atu
*At the moment it seems a more united squad, no current talk of disharmony or players seeking releases
*We have an actual 5/8, who to be fair has stagnated a little, but was one extremely highly rated and has played for the prime ministers 11.....got to be an improvement on Croker/out of position players

*Walker could be gone

Overall the top 8 is achievable, if a few stars align, heck even top 4 is possible if all our stars align (the comp really is that close). Basically we need
*Elgy to to establish himself as a viable alternate attacking focus in attack with passable defense
*Dessie to address overall defense and and concentration lapses
*luck with injuries
*One of our young outside backs to come from the clouds and really establish themselves (ala Issako or Marsters last year)
*DCE to consolidate his QLD and test jumpers by taking this team by the scruff off the neck

PUMPED!!!
Impressed Disco - great summary mate!

Dry January. DRY January. Just THINK DRY JANUARY. Breath and move on, breath and move on.....

Sorry ... I probabably didn't allow for the fact that when you said "for so long" you were coming from the perspective of someone with the attention span of a gnat ...

*We have an actual 5/8, who to be fair has stagnated a little, but was once extremely highly rated and has played for the prime ministers 11.....got to be an improvement on Croker/out of position players

*Walker could be gone

*Elgy to to establish himself as a viable alternate attacking focus with passable defense
*Luck with injuries

PUMPED!!!

Well said ... the only things I could add are score more points than the opposition and turn up .... oh, and take it one week at a time ... but otherwise you have pretty well hit it on the head ....

*Walker could be gone

*Luck with injuries

PUMPED!!!

You forgot the biggest draw back to any type of success for Manly. Greenturd and his refs.

Good sum up by @Disco thank you.
One thing that makes my own assessment of our prospects for success 'guarded' is that, possibly like most of us, I've thought a lot about our squad but not much about all the other teams and how they may be stronger than before. As you say, the comp really is that close.

Putting aside physical and skills-based attributes, our players need to have improved mentally. We showed mental fragility in so many games last season, losing from positions of strength.
I haven't done the maths but it wouldn't surprise me that had we won all those matches we butchered we'd have finished in the top eight last year.
My hope is that Donny and DESpicable can instil in the players a similar never-say-die attitude that former greats like Lyon and Matai possessed.
It's bad enough being beaten on footballing ability, but when you throw winning leads away because you are mentally weak then this is soul destroying.
Our squad is certainly no better than the 2018 squad, possibly even weaker with the loss of Kelly and Penny, but our new/old off-field coaches and trainers give me hope we will be competitive in more matches.

*Walker could be gone

*Luck with injuries

PUMPED!!!
Well said feathered friend . The positives definitely out weigh the negatives .

Putting aside physical and skills-based attributes, our players need to have improved mentally. We showed mental fragility in so many games last season, losing from positions of strength.
I haven't done the maths but it wouldn't surprise me that had we won all those matches we butchered we'd have finished in the top eight last year.
My hope is that Donny and DESpicable can instil in the players a similar never-say-die attitude that former greats like Lyon and Matai possessed.
It's bad enough being beaten on footballing ability, but when you throw winning leads away because you are mentally weak then this is soul destroying.
Our squad is certainly no better than the 2018 squad, possibly even weaker with the loss of Kelly and Penny, but our new/old off-field coaches and trainers give me hope we will be competitive in more matches.
I agree that mental strength and resilience is key and this will be aided by a higher level of fitness.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8