Can we beat Storm?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You're right Tech. Much of their success has to be laid at the feet of Bellamy and his support staff. They've done a remarkable job. The only caveat is what was revealed a few years back, that their TPAs total near a million dollars, between three and ten times the rest of the teams in the comp ( that is if we are to believe everyone is not placing without hidden aces under the table). But what that means is they can afford a couple of top grade players more than other teams, or offer more to their top players. Makes a difference. We could see the effect on Manly when their salary cap was cut for a few years. But as said we cant overlook the Bellamy skill

Plenty of hidden aces under the table that is for sure----much of that created the inflationary environment that forced up the prices of their star players that Melb developed.
Once again go through their squad and it is rare for Melb to purchase completed talent or even half completed talent.

It's the attention to detail coaching that drills in the importance of numbers that matter, runs that matter, lines that matter or make a difference, the little 1%'s that matter, players are given simplified specific roles and are expected to just deliver on that---nothing more or less, accountability with plenty of reference markers.

Parker is a very Melb Storm type of player from the past, you tell Parker he must run 6 hospital pass potential running lines, take 10 gritty at pace direct early hitups one out from marker with no self preservation and he will do so without fail. Now you take a squad full of players with that one minded for the greater good mentality and the numbers just stack up so much in your favour you become a machine.

Ryan Hoffman would run lines over and over without getting the ball one day and other days deliberately taking hospital pass after hospital pass to set up plays later in the game. (trust me every small detail that seems insignificant is noted,rewarded or punished)

The level of player and team analysis Melb use would be very unique to the Storm. (i have a few crazy ideas of the type of detailed metrics they use and some will probably make people laugh here as if I am not being serious but I am dead serious about it)

This is why Melb has been so far ahead for so long, teams are catching up but the length of their dominance(14yrs or so) really has showed up how far behind the times most clubs have been from the analysis of performance perspective.

As much as I want us to, I think we are still a bit raw, lacking a bit of patience and composure to get then just yet.
But a close loss, they can learn from the experience wont be a bad thing.

Potentially if finishing 4th we would have to beat the Storm 3 times including this game to win the GF, not sure any team can do that atm.
Rather lose this one than a final.

Didn't know where to post this but **** me cherry's face in this shot makes me laugh :rofl:
Screenshot_20210805-232255_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think Melbourne will look at our Titans game first half where the tits ran so many tries on us before we went crazy in the second half. Every try we conceded in that first half from the Titans was from a short kick which was an obvious tactical plan. We had players rushing up a lot and Tom's positioning on the goal line was exposed with those grubbers. I don't think we've fixed that up yet but no other team has tried it on us since then. I'm certain Melbourne will be looking to head down that path with the likes of Ado, Olam, Kenny, Reimis chasing those grubbers.

I think Melbourne will look at our Titans game first half where the tits ran so many tries on us before we went crazy in the second half. Every try we conceded in that first half from the Titans was from a short kick which was an obvious tactical plan. We had players rushing up a lot and Tom's positioning on the goal line was exposed with those grubbers. I don't think we've fixed that up yet but no other team has tried it on us since then. I'm certain Melbourne will be looking to head down that path with the likes of Ado, Olam, Kenny, Reimis chasing those grubbers.
Totally agree that Bellyache has this as one of his plans...but there will be others. They will need the same field positioning that the Tit's had to employ that one. We need to do what they least expect without giving away everything we have before we meet them the next time. It's a game of chess and cards combined...show your hand wisely. It comes down to Des V Bellyache for the crown and Des is the only coach with a positive ledger in that battle...and I assure you Bellyache is well aware of that.

Plenty of hidden aces under the table that is for sure----much of that created the inflationary environment that forced up the prices of their star players that Melb developed.
Once again go through their squad and it is rare for Melb to purchase completed talent or even half completed talent.

It's the attention to detail coaching that drills in the importance of numbers that matter, runs that matter, lines that matter or make a difference, the little 1%'s that matter, players are given simplified specific roles and are expected to just deliver on that---nothing more or less, accountability with plenty of reference markers.

Parker is a very Melb Storm type of player from the past, you tell Parker he must run 6 hospital pass potential running lines, take 10 gritty at pace direct early hitups one out from marker with no self preservation and he will do so without fail. Now you take a squad full of players with that one minded for the greater good mentality and the numbers just stack up so much in your favour you become a machine.

Ryan Hoffman would run lines over and over without getting the ball one day and other days deliberately taking hospital pass after hospital pass to set up plays later in the game. (trust me every small detail that seems insignificant is noted,rewarded or punished)

The level of player and team analysis Melb use would be very unique to the Storm. (i have a few crazy ideas of the type of detailed metrics they use and some will probably make people laugh here as if I am not being serious but I am dead serious about it)

This is why Melb has been so far ahead for so long, teams are catching up but the length of their dominance(14yrs or so) really has showed up how far behind the times most clubs have been from the analysis of performance perspective.

Good stuff Tech. You obviously watch the game very closely. I would suggest though that the Storm have not been seriously tested this year. Given the right circumstances and applying the pressure on like Manly did in the 40-0 GF, can on occasions scatter the pigeons as I call it (I use the same term for police cars driving up around our shopping centre during the Covid restrictions here). Even though they are very strictly trained, if things seem to getting out of their control, they may lose their discipline. They are human, not machines and all humans have a breaking point. It will be interesting if Manly is at its best and starts to 'scatter the pigeons', if the Storm are able to maintain that discipline for the full game.

So true about the 1%'s but its still very interesting that so many former Bellamy assistants have been unable to replicate his consistent success as NRL head coaches despite intimate knowledge of his coaching. This suggests that the ability to identify the right cattle has been a huge part of his success.

Storm are far from unbeatable, but they don't beat themselves by making dumb mistakes, while most of their opponents do. Perfect example, last week, Panthers were gifted a great early attacking position but run into touch on tackle zero. Dumb dumb dumb.

i agree but that was a pretty off-game for toms positioning. wouldn't count on it again if i were them.

I find the most interesting spectacle going into Sat nights game is pretty much what every poster on here recognises....
No club plays the percentage game anywhere near the standard of the Storm, who also have almost perfectly times moments of brilliance to sprinkle this iron clad cake....
Manly have the best flamboyance, with players with more attacking zest suitable to the hectic pace of the modern game....I have no doubt if the game is allowed to flow, Manly will create more problems than any other attack in the NRL.
I find both teams will need to compromise and respect the Trump cards the opposition holds and combat these attributes, while not relenting from their own Trump cards that are the platform of their mutual success.
Super pumped for this game, but prepared for the reality we are close to 4/1 outsiders for a reason....in saying that, feel betting odds could change following the 80 minutes of action.

Manly is no chance. Just not composed or disciplined enough. Turbo on the other hand. Turbo can beat any team all on his own. Anyone.

Manly is no chance. Just not composed or disciplined enough. Turbo on the other hand. Turbo can beat any team all on his own. Anyone.

reading that kinda made me feel like I just had sex....with a condom on. Not sure if I'm actually fulfilled or not ? @:D

As much as I hate them I admire their consistent high level of performance. We need to aim for the same. We have enough talent and strike but do we have enough tenacity and grit. Time will tell.

They definitely have the best system. Can you elaborate more on these metrics you speak of, im keen to learn how they do things. I know my footy but im a couch coach i haven't seen them train etc having the best coach in the game also helps. Smith cronk slater have helped Bellamy big time. They also have a handy knack of keeping a team full of rep players under the cap. Next year will be interesting with a few players leaving. I do unfortunately expect them to still be 1st.

They definitely have the best system. Can you elaborate more on these metrics you speak of, im keen to learn how they do things. I know my footy but im a couch coach i haven't seen them train etc having the best coach in the game also helps. Smith cronk slater have helped Bellamy big time. They also have a handy knack of keeping a team full of rep players under the cap. Next year will be interesting with a few players leaving. I do unfortunately expect them to still be 1st.
Some metrics in relation to opportune times to deliver illegal plays "obviously", some in relation to off the ball metres run defensively and also in an attacking sense, speed at which a three man tackle is delivered and the ability to hold up and dance with a tackled player to slow down the play the ball(refs see the tackled player movement in an upright position and are more relaxed with the "move away" calls), other tackling metrics of slowing down play or getting back into critical defensive positions, also the way players peal off the tackled player, rated values on the quality of a lead runner lines and intent, pushing up numbers frequency around ball players, direct straight running values and plays, negative ratings on under plays, are second man plays being used appropriately or over used as a go to safety play----the list goes on and on.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4