Can we beat Storm?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Good stuff Tech. You obviously watch the game very closely. I would suggest though that the Storm have not been seriously tested this year. Given the right circumstances and applying the pressure on like Manly did in the 40-0 GF, can on occasions scatter the pigeons as I call it (I use the same term for police cars driving up around our shopping centre during the Covid restrictions here). Even though they are very strictly trained, if things seem to getting out of their control, they may lose their discipline. They are human, not machines and all humans have a breaking point. It will be interesting if Manly is at its best and starts to 'scatter the pigeons', if the Storm are able to maintain that discipline for the full game.

All teams are beatable, one negative with the Storm is their "next level up" tends to not be as big as other clubs, during the regular season you will see Melb perform near enough to their capabilities at some points. Melb are so well structured and disciplined that the drop off from best to worst performance is not that significant, good structure has the added value of playing in the most efficient manner which can conserve energy allowing for prolonged high performance or consistently high performances over a season.

There is more up side(and potential) of Manly making a big leap to another gear (i'm more confident now that Manly has several attacking options and structures around the park than past years) than Melb, but easier said than done---mental toughness and consistency is the hardest thing to keep in peak shape.

Also in relation to a previous comment that coaches under Bellamy know all the metrics(i still think Bellamy keeps some measures of performance to himself and probably his son) but are unable to replicate the same consistency of performance, yes this is partly due to recruitment but also his ability to drill the message from a vocal stand point and being able to change it up or tweak the delivery to keep things fresh or target the mindsets of a new generation from a different angle.

Knowing what works is meaningless if you don't know how to deliver it, or recruit the right type of players who will buy into the message.

Last edited:
Should be asking can the Storm beat Manly.
Would be a sellout at Brookie packed to the rafters. Manly always has bad luck when things are going well performance wise and a crowd is ruined due to poor time slots especially at night, rain, or now no chance to capitalize on a new wave and generation of supporters jumping on the Manly bandwagon due to these Covid times.

Same in 95,96,97 with the lack of interest in League due to the Super League war, the right kind of teams to generate membership, big crowds and sponsorship but curtailed by the environment of the time.

The storm will be kicking in behind Manly's defensive line all night. We have been poor defending the grubber.

We should have the high balls covered.

Need a big effort in defence. Our points will come we are capable of competing in attack with any team on our day.

But we can leak points...

The storm will be kicking in behind Manly's defensive line all night. We have been poor defending the grubber.
Our weakness there has been the acute angle grubber kicks mostly. Very hard to defend against. Our other goaline weakness is fast little guys and Bellyache will be extorting both.

Dominate possession but that will be up to the whistle clowns. Multiple set restarts against us and we're screwed. How about let the players decide the game.

It would be great for our confidence to beat the storm. They’ve had it over us lately.
Wish the match was at Brookie.
I don’t trust Bellamy and his dirty tactics regarding Tommy Turbo.
Hopefully Des has some answers.
Bad pre-match nerves tonight.
Not quite sure if I brave enough to watch.
Go Manly!

It would be great for our confidence to beat the storm. They’ve had it over us lately.
Wish the match was at Brookie.
I don’t trust Bellamy and his dirty tactics regarding Tommy Turbo.
Hopefully Des has some answers.
Bad pre-match nerves tonight.
Not quite sure if I brave enough to watch.
Go we an win even I f we lose para still suxks

Interesting that statistically there was a 9 point difference between thee two sides and Manly lost by 10. I wouldn't despair over this loss. It was a good test and showed clearly the Storm are beatable. They had most of the penalties, most of the ball, most of the ruck infringement calls and yet could only win through penalty goals and a late try. Their next meeting I would suggest will be much closer.

The answer the question: yes

And I bet you if this was at brookvale oval Adam gee would of not gave storm the game.

Yes we can beat them.
Des has set the blueprint to how to beat them.

Us panthers souths and easts have to go away and work on our game plans to beat them.

Storm are deservedly favourites for the title but they won't have it all there own way in the finals.

All we need to do vs Melbourne is be competitive.
In 2008 we didn't beat Melbourne till the grand final. That really is the only time that matters.
Getting there is the hard bit.

We did what we needed to do tonight and we competitive.

Now, we must beat Parra this week, then look towards 2008 v2.

Interesting that statistically there was a 9 point difference between thee two sides and Manly lost by 10. I wouldn't despair over this loss. It was a good test and showed clearly the Storm are beatable. They had most of the penalties, most of the ball, most of the ruck infringement calls and yet could only win through penalty goals and a late try. Their next meeting I would suggest will be much closer.
And 2 of their trys were lucky bounces in our in goal which could have gone anywhere, the Garrick fumble looked like he was pushed he the back, but that didn't matter to the ref or bunker

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4