C. Sironen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If we entertain letting Sironen go, we have completely lost our marbles.

Addin Fonua-Blake
Joel Thompson
Curtis Sironen

For

Andrew Davey
Luke Garner
Josh Aloiai

Is not an upgrade in any way whatsoever. In fact it's a huge step backwards. We'd also have to be getting masses of cap space back. You'd get all three players for Addin Fonua-Blakes contract price alone.

Addin Fonua-Blake - Bad Egg who had checked out. would have been more damaging to keep him.
Joel Thompson - Loyal servant just making up numbers last season.
Curtis Sironen - As others have said - just waiting for his break out season??????? When if ever...

Im also confused as to the moaning and crap Des has received for not plying the next big thing Olakau'atu? with sirro moving on that frees up a starting second row for the kid?

Addin Fonua-Blake - Bad Egg who had checked out. would have been more damaging to keep him.
Joel Thompson - Loyal servant just making up numbers last season.
Curtis Sironen - As others have said - just waiting for his break out season??????? When if ever...

Im also confused as to the moaning and crap Des has received for not plying the next big thing Olakau'atu? with sirro moving on that frees up a starting second row for the kid?
I agree with your points on the 3 players in AFB, Joel and Siro.

With Guaca Des indicated he was playing him in the middle last season after that one game where he played on an edge and had a good game.

From my perspective similar to your point on Joel that’s where Guaca was very unlucky not to get the next game as a starting edge forward, played well in a team of underachieving senior players and gets thrown in the middle as a bench player.

In the squad as it stands for backrowers we have JetSki, Siro, Davey and Guaca, if Des plays him as an edge forward. Letting Siro go without another edge forward leaves us short in this position.

Wow you lucked it .... honestly traffic is a nightmare I don't know why people come here anymore surf is packed .... all the time .... real estate gone up 30% since the start of COVID ... movie people have taken every rental and paid big bucks for them .... a nightmare for local kids
Had a bit of traffic close to town but got a park and now waiting for lunch at beach hotel

Sirro is faster and more agile than Suli.
Both of them don't pass the ball.

Some should take note of Furgo playing for Parra. He is now back ro scoring tries.
Why? Waqa Blake the human hog is injured, so the centre is passing to the winger.

Des, take note please

Interesting heard Bulldog Ritchie on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning saying that there had been positive discussions between Curtis and the club and could be some news on his re-signing in the coming weeks..
Hmmm as I said they would probably keep him.... however if it was me I would want to see him have a good rest of the season injury free first.

I’ll add my 20 cents worth, I can’t see Sirro offering us good value moving forward, if we can’t secure the services of a more agile ball playing edge back rower with some leg speed, then sign him for another season, but we should be exploring our options now while there‘s opportunity, Niukore, Riki are options, I’d prefer both those guys over Brown or Matterson, I doubt we could secure their services in any case, but better to find out than not know.

Siro is a good player if fit and at around 250k to 300k but no more. I find it funny when people mention that he can not pass the ball or is not mobile. With fitness allowing he is all of these. He initially played as a 5/8 in his early career. In short he is very skilful for a big man.

He is a big body and tough... but slow and immobile with a long injury history. Plus he doesn't pass the ball.

I don't think he is the type of player suited to the faster game and we have the opportunity to replace him at the end if this year. He is on decent coin so that should give us options.

Siro is a good player if fit and at around 250k to 300k but no more. I find it funny when people mention that he can not pass the ball or is not mobile. With fitness allowing he is all of these. He initially played as a 5/8 in his early career. In short he is very skilful for a big man.
When was the last time we saw any of these ball playing skills on display?

We are missing him at the moment. Before his injury last season he was up there with the best in the league. I went to the Titans game in 2019 and he tore them to pieces. He was also close to our best vs Canberra in that big win last year.

He’s our best edge defender with a big motor and takes pride in his performance. He has struggled at the tail end of last season in attack and starting this one but I still believe a lot of it comes down to poor service and structure.

We are missing him at the moment. Before his injury last season he was up there with the best in the league. I went to the Titans game in 2019 and he tore them to pieces. He was also close to our best vs Canberra in that big win last year.

He’s our best edge defender with a big motor and takes pride in his performance. He has struggled at the tail end of last season in attack and starting this one but I still believe a lot of it comes down to poor service and structure.
He has a few good games in him but since mid-season last year he has been useless, absolutely non-existent imo

Slowing down, his passing game has been dying a slow death for years and his knees are now restricting any mobility. His defence has grown suspect (coinciding with leg injuries) and in my opinion is only useful for a bargeover try nowadays off a good short dce ball near the line.

Really, really hope we move on from him. He's been an ok investment over the years but now is absolutely not the time to retain him. We need to upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to sound rude (this is just a topic im passionate about). We can't rely on the past, people are saying that Sironen is immobile and a bad passer based off of observation over the last few seasons. Yes in his past he was a 5/8, but so was Moses Mbye, yet now these players have lost their instincts and become new players. Sironen is outdated, never passes to our backs (since maybe 2018?) and relies on the same outside-inside play off dce rather than use footwork because his knees aren't allowing him to move and react on the go. He needs to go I feel. Lucky for us his past reputation is still prevalent (as evident by many on here talking about his good passing potential and great defence, which also has been ruined by his leg injuries and age). Clubs will happily buy him, and he may well do an ok job in a side that already has enough talent in the squad. But we need to evolve our edges, and imo he is a player that holds that edge back (as does Jetski who plays very similar, doesn't dent line, doesn't pass, poor reads in defence, slow)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to sound rude (this is just a topic im passionate about). We can't rely on the past, people are saying that Sironen is immobile and a bad passer based off of observation over the last few seasons. Yes in his past he was a 5/8, but so was Moses Mbye, yet now these players have lost their instincts and become new players. Sironen is outdated, never passes to our backs and relies on the same outside-inside play off dce rather than use footwork because his knees aren't allowing him to move and react on the go. He needs to go while his reputation of his past is still prevalent (as evident by many on here talking about his good passing potential and great defence, which also has been ruined by his leg injuries and age). Clubs will happily buy him, and he may well do an ok job in a side that already has enough talent in the squad. But we need to evolve our edges, and imo he is a player that holds that edge back (as does Jetski who plays very similar, doesn't dent line, doesn't pass, poor reads in defence, slow)
Sure we all have our opinion. If fit I still believe Siro is a good player. Let’s see how he is when he returns from injury in the next few weeks .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4